• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

holy miscut...

16 posts in this topic

Worst miscut I've seen.  Shame, because other than a back cover tear, this one is 9.0+.  Sharp corners!

I think the miscut affected the grade despite it being 'production related'.

It's in the Sunday night Heritage sale, curious to see where it ends.

miscut.thumb.jpg.35ec674eb0ad3af9da1d0c2d8252e69f.jpgback.thumb.jpg.697f0cf3c89e6427d3bb1780edfa6d74.jpg

58 minutes ago, vheflin said:

Worst miscut I've seen.  Shame, because other than a back cover tear, this one is 9.0+.  Sharp corners!

miscut.thumb.jpg.35ec674eb0ad3af9da1d0c2d8252e69f.jpgback.thumb.jpg.697f0cf3c89e6427d3bb1780edfa6d74.jpg

I would be really surprised if the miscut affected the grade, especially for a golden age book where miscuts were more common.

As evidence, I present to you a pretty bad miscut on a more recent book (relatively speaking) that still got a "high" grade

Image 1 - richard dragon kung-fu fighter 5 cgc 9.4 1st appearance of lady shiva

Since I've never seen a bad tear like that on a 7.0, I think it's fair to say that it's the main defect bringing down the book. I mean, what grade would you give a book with a tear like that?

Edited by William-James88

11 hours ago, vheflin said:

Not bad enough to fail Charlton quality control.

11 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I would be really surprised if the miscut affected the grade, especially for a golden age book where miscuts were more common.

As evidence, I present to you a pretty bad miscut on a more recent book (relatively speaking) that still got a "high" grade

Image 1 - richard dragon kung-fu fighter 5 cgc 9.4 1st appearance of lady shiva

Since I've never seen a bad tear like that on a 7.0, I think it's fair to say that it's the main defect bringing down the book. I mean, what grade would you give a book with a tear like that?

Yeah 6.0 sounds right.  There's also what might be a scuff above the G in THING.:(

17 hours ago, William-James88 said:

That's miswrap, not miscut. Miscut generally refers to a book not being cut squarely or the dimensions being abnormal.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:
2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

That's miswrap, not miscut. Miscut generally refers to a book not being cut squarely or the dimensions being abnormal.

I see, so the comic the OP showed is both miswrapped and miscut?

I'd call it a miscut. There should NOT be all that white at the top.

Edited by Jeffro.
forgot the word 'not'. I'm a insufficiently_thoughtful_person

3 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I see, so the comic the OP showed is both miswrapped and miscut?

Miswrap concerns how the cover is aligned with the spine. The OP's example is misaligned in the less common way, with the vertical alignment not being within normal variance, suggesting a miscut rather than a miswrap.