• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 CGC "No. 1 Piece" from the Front Cover
1 1

46 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, D84 said:

What did you put as the value on the submission form?

A lot.

Speaking as someone who also owns a CGC slabbed Superman page from Action Comics #1, I can say without hesitation that I value this front cover piece above the Superman page.

Both are incredible, but this is on another level.

This is really intriguing! There's something kind of compelling about focusing in on these little details of the cover. Obviously, there's the art of the cover as a whole, but in collecting GA, there are stylistic details that are the most eye-catching to me: the month, year dating on the early DCs, the numbering on pre-99 Actions and on the Superman covers when the number is encircled, and the big banner titles. For some reason, the books that have those early elements just stand out to me more, like there's an authenticity and nostalgia to them that later GA books don't have for me. So focusing in on this inside a slab is really quite cool, like seeing old art through the lens of modern or pop art.

Thanks for sharing this!

Edited by rumrunner71

38 minutes ago, rumrunner71 said:

This is really intriguing! There's something kind of compelling about focusing in on these little details of the cover. Obviously, there's the art of the cover as a whole, but in collecting GA, there are stylistic details that are the most eye-catching to me: the month, year dating on the early DCs, the numbering on pre-99 Actions and on the Superman covers when the number is encircled, and the big banner titles. For some reason, the books that have those early elements just stand out to me more, like there's an authenticity and nostalgia to them that later GA books don't have for me. So focusing in on this inside a slab is really quite cool, like seeing old art through the lens of modern or pop art.

Thanks for sharing this!

(thumbsu

On 6/3/2021 at 6:14 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

I decided to have my original "No. 1 "piece from the front cover of Action Comics #1 slabbed by CGC.

I could not be happier with the results.

I believe this may be the smallest piece ever slabbed by CGC, but well deserved given the historical significance.

action1_1.jpg

action1_2.jpg

action1_cgc_cover.jpg

"White pages" :insane:

On 6/3/2021 at 10:45 PM, sfcityduck said:

As a point of comparison to the Promise books, is this Batman 1 the lowest graded pedigree mega-key?

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F6%2F3%2F24163901%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I like books like these as relatively affordable copies. Decent presentation of the front cover, decent page quality, and complete story contents. There are some books with back cover pin-ups and the like where the back cover would be missed, but short of interior ad pages, the back cover is frequently the least important part of the book. 

I've never owned a big key like this, but I've had several books over the years missing the back cover, but with a presentable front cover, that I have preferred to technically complete copies with ratty looking front covers. 

On 6/4/2021 at 6:09 PM, Lazyboy said:

I also don't see Superman...

or Lois Lane...

or Zatara...

or any Shuster art...

or (okay, I'll stop now)

My Superman page from Action Comics #1 has all of the above, besides Zatara. lol

I owned two different Zatara pages in the past though and they were pretty cool.

22 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

My Superman page from Action Comics #1 has all of the above, besides Zatara. lol

I owned two different Zatara pages in the past though and they were pretty cool.

Zatara splash page. Can we switch? lol I’d really like a Supes page!

2B968AD6-3810-475F-A373-08EDB45EFA12.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

That’s awesome! How did you manage to get this?

The long story I like to tell involves traversing several ancient cave dwellings in the catacombs of a Mayan pyramid. Avoided lots of booby traps and fended off scary underground creatures to find it hidden in a metallic glass casing made out of kryptonite.

The shorter story though is, saw it online and bought it 😁.

11 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

The long story I like to tell involves traversing several ancient cave dwellings in the catacombs of a Mayan pyramid. Avoided lots of booby traps and fended off scary underground creatures to find it hidden in a metallic glass casing made out of kryptonite.

The shorter story though is, saw it online and bought it 😁.

That’s not what I exactly had in mind but good enough. xD

It’s still a cool piece of comic book history nonetheless, owning a page from Action Comics #1 and it featuring a DC Comics character that’s still around today. 

20 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

That’s not what I exactly had in mind but good enough. xD

It’s still a cool piece of comic book history nonetheless, owning a page from Action Comics #1 and it featuring a DC Comics character that’s still around today. 

Yeah I’m working my way up to a Supes page lol.