• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - Werewolf By Night 32
2 2

10 posts in this topic

After years of lurking these pages, I finally introduced myself and posted content. I figured I next should add content to this, my favorite board.

I consider myself a pretty good grader and 98% of the time I'm with the consensus. But the hardest grading is often not just those mid-grade issues, but those you own. I guess it's the attachment you have for them. Or maybe, as in this case, it's the specific flaw.

Here's my WBN 32 I purchased for $150 about 10-15 years ago. Sharp book. But unless I found one with a color production flaw, my guess it sat on a display shelf in a shop for too long. This issue wasn't always as hot as it is now or will become.

Again, sharp book except for the color fade. Pages are W-OW. I've spent many hours researching color fade and it's deduction when grading. There doesn't seem to be a consensus except for severity. I consider this minor color fade.

I'm curious what everyone thinks. Thanks for your time and have fun!

20210604_154111.jpg

20210604_154119.jpg

20210604_154126.jpg

20210604_154133.jpg

20210604_154149.jpg

20210604_154234.jpg

20210604_154321.jpg

Thanks the responses so far. Keep them up. I'm seeing a lot of views though. Come on, feedback is priceless!

This book has long been one of the toughest in my collection to grade. Let me give you my guess. Over the years I've thought that it could grade anywhere from 7.0 to 9.0.

A few weeks back I was trying to figure this one out again. I found one sold on Heritage years ago that was graded by another company. It looked very similar to my copy and the Grader's Notes mentioned cover fade. That particular book was given an 8.5.

So I would call it a Weak 8.5. It could go +/- 0.5. The fade makes it tricky because otherwise it's sweet.

24 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Fading to this degree will not affect grade imo. It may make the technical grade a tougher sell for a would be buyer.

This is what I was wondering.

Thanks for the insight!

6 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

Fading to this degree will not affect grade imo. It may make the technical grade a tougher sell for a would be buyer.

Fading remains probably the toughest flaw for me to assess when grading.

As this comicbook is somewhere at 8.5/9.0, would that grade range allow for this amount of fading?

Or looking at it in another way, say you have an otherwise near-flawless book, 9.6 thereabouts, would you expect a deduction for this severity (minor) of fading? It drops to a 9.2 or 9.4 in high grade?