• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible Ewert book sold on Comiclink - ASM #4 CGC 9.4 $13,000

71 posts in this topic

Good spot, Dan. Methinks Josh is not taking this whole thing very seriously, and just hoping things will blow over. He clearly didn`t do a very rigorous screen before declaring that there`s only one Ewert-related book on Comiclink.

Josh, as a friend I think it`s time for you to wake up on this issue! You are creating a credibility gap by letting the members here poke holes in your earlier statement. If you have good reason to think that a book that came from Ewert was not worked on by him (e.g., you know that it was a direct consignment from Brulato, etc.), then feel free to elaborate. But please don`t insult the intelligence of the folks here by acting as if a few empty reassurances will pacify us and cause this issue to be forgotten in a few days.

Tim:

This is typical Josh. He's arrogant in his own right. What he will do is do whatever is necessary to save face and appearances, but I'm betting in his own head, he doesn't see what the big deal is. He responded on the boards because he felt he had to, not because of any sense of right and wrong. To me, he, like some other dealers, want to down play it instead of dealing with the issue at hand. But then again, typical Josh.

Tim:

This is typical Josh. He's arrogant in his own right. What he will do is do whatever is necessary to save face and appearances, but I'm betting in his own head, he doesn't see what the big deal is. He responded on the boards because he felt he had to, not because of any sense of right and wrong. To me, he, like some other dealers, want to down play it instead of dealing with the issue at hand. But then again, typical Josh.

I have one book currently on comiclink. I will be moving it to pedigreecomics. I hope others will do the same.

Tim:

I agree, Josh has credibility issues . . . smirk.gif

I called Mr. Flatinum Platinum's "Game" many months back.... and after getting COMPLETELY TRASHED on this board for speaking the "TRUTH", I went and stuck my head in the sand...... just found out today of what has happened to Mr. "HIGHEST GRADE" seller ..... I laughed for almost an hour..... and now I feel sorry for all those who didn't listen to me and continued to buy his Pancakes and Trim Jobs.

I went on a MISSION to HARASS this SHMUCK myself. Here is one of my "FAVORITE" email responses from him.... sent to me by Jason Ewert on December 4, 2004: 893applaud-thumb.gif

"Hi,

thanks for your email. First of all before I even begin to dignify this email with a response, it would be helpful if you tell me your name, the books you purchased from me, and the date you purchased these books. Upon hearing this information, I would like to know whose professional expertise you used to judge if the books you purchased from me were professionally pressed. Third, I would like to know what would cause you to crack the books out of the slabs after they were certified and encapsulated by the CGC. Fourth, I would like to know if the books you purchased from me had a blue universal unrestored label. Fifth I would like to know how your expert determined that professional pressing had occurred, when the books passed through the detection team at CGC who determined the books were free from restoration ( which would include any detectable professional pressing). Upon hearing this information, I will be able to judge if you are truthful or you are full of $%&*!. If you forward the information to me and it is credible, I will be able to tell if the books you purchased were purchased by me raw and encapsulated, were on consignment with me (thus were encapsulated by the owner), or were purchased slabbed (thus were encapsulated by the prior owner(s)).

My policy has always mirrored the rules of CGC. CGC from what I have been told does not consider undetectable professional pressing of comic books as restoration. If it can be detected, CGC will flag the book as having been unprofessionally pressed and therefore place a purple restored label on the slab of the book with the restoration notes listed on the label. Because undetectable professional pressing of comic books is not considered restoration by the CGC, it is possible that any or all of the slabbed books you have purchased from anywhere and anyone could have or may have undetectable professional pressing done to them. The key word is UNDETECTABLE, because if it was detectable, it never would have made it into a slab with a blue universal unrestored label. It would have been flagged by the CGC and included a purple restored label. If I know in fact that any book I sell has without a doubt been professionally pressed, I have no problem disclosing that information to any potential buyer. My advice to any potential buyer is to CALL THE EXPERTS AT CGC WHO IS GRADING THE BOOK AND GET ANY OR ALL NOTES TO DETERMINE IF ANYTHING WAS DONE TO THE BOOK PRIOR TO ENCAPSULATION. DON'T CALL OR ASK ME BECAUSE I DIDN'T GRADE THE BOOK. IF THERE IS ANYTHING I KNOW ABOUT THE BOOK OTHER THAN WHAT WAS DETERMINED TO EXIST OR NOT EXIST BY CGC, I HAVE NO PROBLEM DISCUSSING THAT INFORMATION WITH ANY POTENTIAL BUYER.

Because CGC does not consider professional UNDETECTABLE pressing of comic books as restoration, I have a standing offer of a $100,000.00 year salary to anyone who could successfully press a comic book into a higher grade which would allow it to pass through the hands of the CGC 100% of the time without the pressing being detected by the CGC. I have yet to find someone who can do this. Because I have yet to find a person who can do this, I refrain from professionally pressing any comic books. My fears are too great that any pressing done would be detected by CGC, be downgraded by the CGC because the pressing would be deemed unprofessional, or would potentially damage the book. All three of these possibilities would cause me to lose loads of money. As far as me personally professional pressing comic books in order to get a higher grade and pass through the hands of the CGC undetected, I only wish I could say yes because I would be an extremely rich man. Sadly I can't. I am stuck with buying books I feel are high grade and sending them to CGC to be encapsulated as is. If others can do it and it has been deemed allowable by the CGC, I say all the power to them.

In summary, if you are a new collector, I would recommend sitting down with the professionals at CGC who can give you more information about what the rules are for grading and submission of comic books through their company. Being a real estate attorney, I know you can appreciate trying to do as much research and homework on the subject as possible before ever spending one dollar on a CGC book. If what you hear is contrary to what your collecting beliefs are, I would recommend stop buying CGC books as the source of the book and how it became to be slabbed cannot be traced.

There is no returns allowed on any CGC graded books, as these books are professionally graded.

thanks,

Jason Ewert"

those three books were definitely run on the same scanner. there are multiple markings from the scanbed that show up on each book.

now the question is, who did the scanning?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Tim:

I have one book currently on comiclink. I will be moving it to pedigreecomics. I hope others will do the same.

Based on their respective responses, I would not hesitate to do the same. sumo.gifthumbsup2.gif

Tim:

Well, I don`t have an adversarial relationship with Josh. I like Josh, and have done a lot of business with him. So I`m hoping that my irritation will help him to understand that this is not something where he can just go through the motions and hope it`ll blow over.

Thanks for the post . . . very "informative" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here is one of my "FAVORITE" email responses from him.... sent to me by Jason Ewert on December 4, 2004: 893applaud-thumb.gif

"Hi,

thanks for your email. First of all before I even begin to dignify this email with a response, it would be helpful if you tell me your name, the books you purchased from me, and the date you purchased these books. Upon hearing this information, I would like to know whose professional expertise you used to judge if the books you purchased from me were professionally pressed. Third, I would like to know what would cause you to crack the books out of the slabs after they were certified and encapsulated by the CGC. Fourth, I would like to know if the books you purchased from me had a blue universal unrestored label. Fifth I would like to know how your expert determined that professional pressing had occurred, when the books passed through the detection team at CGC who determined the books were free from restoration ( which would include any detectable professional pressing). Upon hearing this information, I will be able to judge if you are truthful or you are full of $%&*!. If you forward the information to me and it is credible, I will be able to tell if the books you purchased were purchased by me raw and encapsulated, were on consignment with me (thus were encapsulated by the owner), or were purchased slabbed (thus were encapsulated by the prior owner(s)).

My policy has always mirrored the rules of CGC. CGC from what I have been told does not consider undetectable professional pressing of comic books as restoration. If it can be detected, CGC will flag the book as having been unprofessionally pressed and therefore place a purple restored label on the slab of the book with the restoration notes listed on the label. Because undetectable professional pressing of comic books is not considered restoration by the CGC, it is possible that any or all of the slabbed books you have purchased from anywhere and anyone could have or may have undetectable professional pressing done to them. The key word is UNDETECTABLE, because if it was detectable, it never would have made it into a slab with a blue universal unrestored label. It would have been flagged by the CGC and included a purple restored label. If I know in fact that any book I sell has without a doubt been professionally pressed, I have no problem disclosing that information to any potential buyer. My advice to any potential buyer is to CALL THE EXPERTS AT CGC WHO IS GRADING THE BOOK AND GET ANY OR ALL NOTES TO DETERMINE IF ANYTHING WAS DONE TO THE BOOK PRIOR TO ENCAPSULATION. DON'T CALL OR ASK ME BECAUSE I DIDN'T GRADE THE BOOK. IF THERE IS ANYTHING I KNOW ABOUT THE BOOK OTHER THAN WHAT WAS DETERMINED TO EXIST OR NOT EXIST BY CGC, I HAVE NO PROBLEM DISCUSSING THAT INFORMATION WITH ANY POTENTIAL BUYER.

Because CGC does not consider professional UNDETECTABLE pressing of comic books as restoration, I have a standing offer of a $100,000.00 year salary to anyone who could successfully press a comic book into a higher grade which would allow it to pass through the hands of the CGC 100% of the time without the pressing being detected by the CGC. I have yet to find someone who can do this. Because I have yet to find a person who can do this, I refrain from professionally pressing any comic books. My fears are too great that any pressing done would be detected by CGC, be downgraded by the CGC because the pressing would be deemed unprofessional, or would potentially damage the book. All three of these possibilities would cause me to lose loads of money. As far as me personally professional pressing comic books in order to get a higher grade and pass through the hands of the CGC undetected, I only wish I could say yes because I would be an extremely rich man. Sadly I can't. I am stuck with buying books I feel are high grade and sending them to CGC to be encapsulated as is. If others can do it and it has been deemed allowable by the CGC, I say all the power to them.

In summary, if you are a new collector, I would recommend sitting down with the professionals at CGC who can give you more information about what the rules are for grading and submission of comic books through their company. Being a real estate attorney, I know you can appreciate trying to do as much research and homework on the subject as possible before ever spending one dollar on a CGC book. If what you hear is contrary to what your collecting beliefs are, I would recommend stop buying CGC books as the source of the book and how it became to be slabbed cannot be traced.

There is no returns allowed on any CGC graded books, as these books are professionally graded.

thanks,

Jason Ewert"

Tim:

Well, I don`t have an adversarial relationship with Josh. I like Josh, and have done a lot of business with him. So I`m hoping that my irritation will help him to understand that this is not something where he can just go through the motions and hope it`ll blow over.

Josh seemed to be answering the question as to if he had any of EWERTs books on Comiclink at the time, and he said he had ONE book that EWERT himself consigned. But, the question to Josh at the time was not whether any of the books on Comiclink had passed thru Ewert's hands or had serial numbers that matched the lists being offerred since then.

So I hope Josh will NOW return and give us a rundown of how many books on his site fron consigners OTHER than Ewert himself were submitted to CGC by Ewery by way of their serial numbers. That now is the answer we need to know, that Doug has already been agreeing to help out with.

It should be of no concern to Josh to remove those books, except if he in fact owns many of them.....But, if so, he should be on the phone to Brulato getting full refunds for them..

What got me interested this AM in looking into Ewerts antics was this Hilarious eBay auction that came up: yay.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-1...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey, that's great! Is someone here behind this?

Whoever it is, I applaud you! I only wish that the message were more crystal-clear, for the sake of someone reading who is totally unaware of this whole Ewert mess. If I were (blissfully) unaware of all this, I'm not sure I'd know what to make of it.

Auction is funny,

but of course even more illuminating is the typically arrogant post by Jason Ewert. What's amazing is that Ewert doesn't even realize that he's entirely to blame for how this came to light and all of the s--t that followed. By lying in his post, by foolishly posting another book when the spotlight was on him (ST 128) he did himself in. But he sounds like he's so arrogant to the point of self destructive behavior, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Auction is funny,

but of course even more illuminating is the typically arrogant post by Jason Ewert. What's amazing is that Ewert doesn't even realize that he's entirely to blame for how this came to light and all of the s--t that followed. By lying in his post, by foolishly posting another book when the spotlight was on him (ST 128) he did himself in. But he sounds like he's so arrogant to the point of self destructive behavior, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Well, yes, I agree - but he is going to have to save his ducats for either legal fees or traveling expenses . . . 27_laughing.gif And for that he needs to cash out pronto.

. . . reminds me of that movie "The Flim-Flam Man"

Since Josh may not be aware of his purchases and books that can be traced back to Ewert directly from his purchases:

2189296861 comiclink 9/1/2003…$335.00 Avengers #40 9.6

2189303157 comiclink 9/1/2003…$120.50 Avengers #50 9.4

2189312878 comiclink 9/1/2003…$393.55 Avengers #68 9.8

6540097518 0098488001 comiclink 6/22/2005…$79.00 Avengers #98 9.6

2226071096 comiclink 2/22/2004…$75.00 Avengers #119 9.6

6520667412 0098414014 comiclink 3/28/2005…$84.79 Avengers #127 9.6

6520668398 0098414015 comiclink 3/28/2005…$84.79 Avengers #128 9.6

6540100785 0098414016 comiclink…7:44:00 PM $48.74 Avengers #128 9.6

2292720609 comiclink 12/14/2004…$158.06 Avengers #132 9.8

2216420912 comiclink 1/14/2004…$92.13 Avengers #136 9.8

2292722496 comiclink 12/14/2004…$235.50 Captain America #140 9.8

6521101079 0098459009 comiclink 3/30/2005…$224.50 Captain America #147 9.8

2208668699 comiclink 12/11/2003…$410.55 Daredevil #20 9.6

6522525743 0098415015 comiclink 4/6/2005…$412.00 Daredevil #29 9.6

6522533412 0098471014 comiclink 4/6/2005…$115.00 Daredevil #85 9.6

6522747473 0626905004 comiclink 4/7/2005…$202.50 Daredevil #118 9.8

6522749189 0098486002 comiclink 4/7/2005…$192.45 Daredevil #125 9.8

2173680207 comiclink 5/13/2003…$470.00 Fantastic Four #20 9.0

2282534726 comiclink 11/10/2004…$665.00 Fantastic Four #118 9.8

2271621557 comiclink 9/27/2004…$214.35 Hero For Hire #2 9.8

2292729698 comiclink 12/14/2004 …$306.01 Incredible Hulk #136 9.8

2226100618 comiclink 2/22/2004…$97.00 Incredible Hulk #167 9.6

6540347263 0002055002 comiclink 6/23/2005…PM $405.00 Invaders #1 9.8

2195048807 comiclink 10/9/2003…$946.00 Marvel Feature #1 9.6

2272086785 comiclink 9/29/2004…$158.05 Marvel Premiere #2 9.8

6540360169 0002055005 comiclink 6/23/2005…$455.99 Marvel Spotlight #28 9.6… 30c Price Variant

2272088196 comiclink 9/29/2004…$1,375.00 Marvel Super-Heroes #12 9.8

2275116222 comiclink 10/12/2004…$227.50 Marvel Team-Up #1 9.2

2275117736 comiclink 10/12/2004…$382.77 Marvel Team-Up #2 9.8

2275127204 comiclink 10/12/2004…$256.98 Mighty Marvel Western #1 9.6

2275129001 comiclink 10/12/2004…$51.00 Mighty Marvel Western #3 9.4

2187772998 comiclink 8/20/2003…$710.00 Strange Tales #120 9.4

2275387813 comiclink 10/13/2004…$260.55 Sub-Mariner #34 9.4

2275389295 comiclink 10/13/2004…$282.00 Sub-Mariner #38 9.8

2292943414 comiclink 12/15/2004…$142.50 Thor #222 9.8

733362346 comiclink 11/15/2002…$306.00 X-Men #61 9.4

What got me interested this AM in looking into Ewerts antics was this Hilarious eBay auction that came up: yay.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-1...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey, that's great! Is someone here behind this?

Whoever it is, I applaud you! I only wish that the message were more crystal-clear, for the sake of someone reading who is totally unaware of this whole Ewert mess. If I were (blissfully) unaware of all this, I'm not sure I'd know what to make of it.

its gone now. dammm... I shoulda clicked to see it earlier!