• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Super Heroes Role Playing Game

17 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I can't really get into tabletop games like this. My head immediately goes to: "Why play this when I can play a video game?" I need some sort of visual stimulation to keep me interested.

Plus it's hard enough getting people together online. These days I don't know you'd do it regularly in person, reliably. 

4 hours ago, silverseeker said:

I briefly played this game and still have my copy of the original boxed set, if I remember correctly...will need to see if I still actually have it.

+1.  Many RPGs from that time period didn't quite make it off the runway.  I owned many of them (Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Boot Hill, etc.) but they tended to lack the development and/or having been played out to eliminate obvious loopholes that traditional AD&D had.

13 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

+1.  Many RPGs from that time period didn't quite make it off the runway.  I owned many of them (Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Boot Hill, etc.) but they tended to lack the development and/or having been played out to eliminate obvious loopholes that traditional AD&D had.

Yeah, I remember trying to play Star Frontiers once or twice, as well as the Marvel one.  I remember that the game mechanics for both just didn’t really work very well.

I loved this game as a kid.  I have most of the expansion sets, the powers system and ratings system were really cool.  I've been looking online for people to do this with and found a Facebook group that is dedicated.  There are a ton of resources online that they can point you to.  Now to check out that link you posted...

I love the idea of this game I've been meaning to pull the trigger on a copy for a while. I like all the expansions and I already have a bunch of the Dungeons magazines that have character builds for other characters who didn't make it into full retail sets (I mean come on who doesn't want to play as Slapstick?)

A group of us kids transitioned from D&D to Marvel Superheroes RP and played for years. I remember waiting so long for the advanced set to come out. 

I still have this book and a few missions. The content is fairly incredible- there is almost every super power conceivable in here and still holds up. I created so many characters using this book…

EC005710-A9C9-49A7-9EB7-3EA750986A06.png

2 minutes ago, Msgarmar said:

A group of us kids transitioned from D&D to Marvel Superheroes RP and played for years. I remember waiting so long for the advanced set to come out. 

I still have this book and a few missions. The content is fairly incredible- there is almost every super power conceivable in here and still holds up. I created so many characters using this book…

Yep, I had that plus the Basic and Advanced Set.  Good times!

13 hours ago, Msgarmar said:

Right there with you. Couldn't wait for the next version to came out. It was so much fun. 

Yes!  I adore this game.  I got into the 1986 version and almost immediately got the Ultimate Powers Book.  It was amazing and I had no idea there were so many possible super powers and talents.  My favorite power was always prehensile hair because the character of Gideon from New Mutants had a cool green pony tail.

If anyone is interested, I converted the old character generators for both the 1986 version as well as the 1986 version with the Ultimate Powers Book into a computer program you can try.

On 6/6/2021 at 8:11 PM, fastballspecial said:

Anyone grow up playing this like I did?

Well good news next year Marvel is coming out with a revamped version. 

Marvel Launching New Multiverse Role-Playing Game in 2022 - Nerdist

17 hours ago, palvaran said:

If anyone is interested, I converted the old character generators for both the 1986 version as well as the 1986 version with the Ultimate Powers Book into a computer program you can try.

So cool.  That took me back!  My character (in the spoiler below to not take up too much room) has Remarkable strength and Monstrous Iron Will and Incredible Chemical Mimicry.  And I'm an accountant.  When I was a kid I would have drawn (badly) and colored what he would have looked like.  They had those sheets where you could write in all the player characteristics and draw the character in the box in the corner.

Thanks for sharing!

Spoiler

Physical Form: Humanoid Race
Power Origin: Natal
Weakness Stimulus: Molecular Allergy
Weakness Effect: Incapacitation
Weakness Duration: Continuous with Contact

Primary Abilities:
------------------
Fighting: Amazing
Agility: Amazing
Strength: Remarkable