• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That's it. I'm done with Overstreet. Change my mind.
2 2

41 posts in this topic

Over and over again, I've seen books get hot and sell for way above guide only to come crashing back down to around what Over street says that they're worth. I would trust Overstreet over GPA when it comes to the long-term value of a book. That said, I haven't bought a copy in a while because Heritage lists the OPG values for the books that they sell, and they've sold at least one copy of just about every GA issue out there. If I want to know the OPG value of something, I just look it up on Heritage.

I’m with you. It’s irrelevant at this point. Something printed once a year is wayyyy too outdated for how often prices fluctuate. As far as I’m concerned, if they keep on their current path of acting like Blockbuster did, they’ll go out of business eventually. Adapt, or die.

Edited by LDarkseid1

The GA/SA comic book market has grown up to "real time" pricing and valuation. Ha, CC, GPA etc have the most relevance. As a historical tool, the Overstreet guide is second to none but it is not relevant for your GA/SA purchases which happen today. I would say keep the first 20 years, and then one every 5 years or so and regarding the new one I would put that money towards buying the real thing itself, the GA/SA comic book.

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

The GA/SA comic book market has grown up to "real time" pricing and valuation. Ha, CC, GPA etc have the most relevance. As a historical tool, the Overstreet guide is second to none but it is not relevant for your GA/SA purchases which happen today. I would say keep the first 20 years, and then one every 5 years or so and regarding the new one I would put that money towards buying the real thing itself, the GA/SA comic book.

Half of me wants to tell you to keep the collection going and spend the $40 for each new edition but the other half completely agrees with Mmehdy's statement. I think for you, the decision will be based on the nostalgia factor.

To me its convenience. When I first got serious into collecting and learning more, I bought one (circa 2009). Helped me recognize keys and kept me abreast of the market reports. I feel like from 2005-2010, ebay buying was a fraction what it was now, and so were the available options online for finding values for things.

Now...why would I ever carry around a book when I have apps at my fingertips to track my books and sales of recent books quicker. I need to save time you know. I am sorry Overstreet...while I appreciate what you did for me, I have to evolve. 

5 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

the print is too fine and i can't read the Overstreet anymore

This began for me this year and it's not a joke. I usually get one every third year to keep current on new stuff. I do keep a magnifying glass handy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, buttock said:

4) refusing to listen to submissions for corrections of errors.  There are threads on these boards of errors that a number of collectors have tried to correct time and time again with no response.  

I suspect one reason for this, which I remember being talked out in the weekly CBG, was that Overstreet was concerned about copycats taking his work and publishing their own guides. So some errors are in the guide on purpose, just in case they want to go after another price guide saying they stole their work "See your honor, this issue doesn't exist except in our guide, and they copied it, here is the proof." I've read that there are a few items like that in Overstreet's guide, so that issue that you are trying to track down, may or may not exist.  Mapmakers used to do the same thing, insert an occasional fake name or place just to catch the plagiarists. 

Krause published a large comic reference guide quite a few years ago, and they noted that they wouldn't put any fake/error entries in theirs like Overstreet does. I think that they figured due to the sheer research they did, it would be hard for someone to copy it without getting caught.

So yeah, I doubt Overstreet will ever correct some of those errors many collectors bring to their attention.