• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8 Comic with Defects
3 3

55 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I focus on 5.0s that present as 9.8s.

The best I’ve ever done is an 8.5 .

Beautiful-looking picture frame ASM.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

I know it's not supposed to happen but I have seen 9.8's with a minor spine tick that breaks color. It's difficult to predict, so take a chance...the one you're not sending in because of that tick...could be a good one. Come on, you know who you are. :wishluck:

On 6/12/2021 at 11:24 AM, Mercury Man said:

I've said it before, they really confused the masses with their whole 9.0,. 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9, and 10.   No need for all of that.   10, 9.5 and 9.0 would have been plenty.  

old.jpg.93cc391cf81128b1678ac88a52669a8b.jpg

But.... but....then we wouldn't have

9.0 = :flipbait:

9.2 = :flipbait::flipbait:

9.4 = :flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait:

9.6 = :flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait:

9.8 = :flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait::flipbait:  :ohnoez:

3 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

There is no universe that a person can reasonably tell the difference between a 9.4 and a 9.6, or a 9.2 to a 9.4.  It all depends on the graders blood sugar level at the time of reviewing said book. 

We argue like this about the bit rates in digital music files as well. THEY postulate that 24 bit audio SOUNDS better than 16 bit audio, the standard bit rate cd's have.

I say that we would have to be dogs to hear the difference and yet they insist. Most people failed a double blind comparison test, though. The KHZ is where the depth is not the bit rate.

Also, if the grader's girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife refused them Snu-Snu the night before, a 9.8 starts to look like a 7.5 to them.

Edited by Randall Ries

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

We argue like this about the bit rates in digital music files as well. THEY postulate that 24 bit audio SOUNDS better than 16 bit audio, the standard bit rate cd's have.

I say that we would have to be dogs to hear the difference and yet they insist. Most people failed a double blind comparison test, though. The KHZ is where the depth is not the bit rate.

Also, if the grader's girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife refused them Snu-Snu the night before, a 9.8 starts to look like a 7.5 to them.

Good thing opinions aren't touted as facts.

We all perceive differently, which is what makes the world go round

11 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

Good thing opinions aren't touted as facts.

We all perceive differently, which is what makes the world go round

From what I have seen in the last 10 years is chiseled in stone facts are being touted as opinion when it clashes with someones belief structure which is normally rooted in selfishness and convenience in the eyes of the beholder. Our "perceptions" get people killed now.

Opinionated perception is one thing. I like the color blue and you don't. Immutable fact is a whole other thing. The Earth isn't flat. Now, we are into bold faced lies are a fact or at least half cocked opinions that deserves credence. No, they don't deserve any such thing. They only serve to confuse and agitate the less educated and discerning. Heck, I remember when "The Simpsons" were the bane of human decency and existence. I long for those days.

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

From what I have seen in the last 10 years is chiseled in stone facts are being touted as opinion when it clashes with someones belief structure which is normally rooted in selfishness and convenience in the eyes of the beholder. Our "perceptions" get people killed now.

Opinionated perception is one thing. I like the color blue and you don't. Immutable fact is a whole other thing. The Earth isn't flat. Now, we are into bold faced lies are a fact or at least half cocked opinions that deserves credence. No, they don't deserve any such thing. They only serve to confuse and agitate the less educated and discerning. Heck, I remember when "The Simpsons" were the bane of human decency and existence. I long for those days.

Yeah but when you poke holes in people's world views they become even more obstinate than before, facts be damned

12 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

There is no universe that a person can reasonably tell the difference between a 9.4 and a 9.6, or a 9.2 to a 9.4.  It all depends on the graders blood sugar level at the time of reviewing said book. 

There is a level of subjectivity involved to be sure but isn't that why they have more than one grader look at a book? It's still not perfect but then nothing is and nothing ever will be. I personally find it very silly to pay much more money for a 0.2 difference in grade but that's just me. 

On 6/12/2021 at 1:21 AM, oakman29 said:

9.8 is not a 10.0

Love this comment. I will admit this example still has more defects than what I see on a large majority of 9.8's,  but I completely agree that we sometimes have to be reminded that a 9.8 doesn't need to be perfect. 

13 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

You do enough business with CGC you learn their thought process. I know 5 or 6 people on this forum that if they told me a book will come back a 9.4 or a 9.2 they'd be right a very high percentage of the time.

28 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

Love this comment. I will admit this example still has more defects than what I see on a large majority of 9.8's,  but I completely agree that we sometimes have to be reminded that a 9.8 doesn't need to be perfect. 

The OP isn't asking it to be perfect, and he knows it isn't a 10.0, he's questioning what it is that makes it 9.8. It's a fair question. There are books with zero spine ticks that get a 9.8 and books with 3 spine tics that get a 9.8. To someone newer to the slabbing process, as he states he is, this is confusing. That's why he's asking the question.

2 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

While I’m sure it’s true in some cases when the question of ‘Is this really a 9.8?’ is raised that there may be an expectation of “perfection”, I don’t think that’s always the case nor do I get the impression that’s the case here. 

While it’s true that a 9.8 is not a 10.0 and is going to have defects, since a 9.8 is two-tenths of a point away from a theoretical “perfect” grade, I suspect the reasonable expectation is that the defects allowed are going to be very few and extremely minor. So it’s not so much a question of “perfection” as it is of the number of defects allowed and the degree of those defects. And I think it’s the later that’s especially coming into play in this instance. Just because a “9.8 is not a 10.0” doesn’t mean anything goes. 

While it’s good to be reminded that a “9.8 is not a 10.0” I think it’s also go to remember that many here are fond of repeating the mantra “buy the book not the label” which encourages buyers to actually examine the book critically and not just blindly except whatever the label says…even on 9.8s…and therefore it would be consistent to actually look at the book in question rather than just dismiss the question out of hand as ‘look at the label, not a 10.0’

@Hartie SpenceI would echo what others have said: this looks at best like a weak 9.8 and probably more like a 9.6…but I too have seen some 9.8s with more glaringly obvious defects. Doesn’t make it right, but there it is. 

As to your second question about using this copy for Signature Series op:  my gut reaction is to say “no” as I think there’s a good chance this wouldn’t come back as a 9.8 on a straight re-sub.  But even if you had a copy that looked like a straight-up 9.8 there would be a risk of it not coming back a 9.8 due to the handling during a signature op.  

So I guess it really depends on how badly you feel you need to get a 9.8 out of the op.  I guess it’s gotten a 9.8 once before so theoretically it could get it again…it just doesn’t seem like the best candidate to start with. 

20 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I'm sorry that you're a bad grader. (shrug)

So you see a spine tick or two on a 9.8, and none on a 9.6

How can you reasonably assume their grades are "off" when  you cannot see the inside of the book

A lot of tubers are just plain stupid and lack critical thinking skills.