• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foxing
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Just now, The Lions Den said:

Foxing is typically a brown or rust colored stain. If your book has it, it appears to be pretty minor. CGC will generally permit a small amount of foxing up to a NM 9.4...  

that’s what I thought please go give me a grade on spare a grade!

4 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Foxing is caused by fungi and can be removed. This is usually done for high value items such as artworks.

But does anyone know - would CGC give a purple label to a book that had its foxing removed? @The Lions Den?

My guess is that it would depend upon the type of cleaning involved...

42 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Foxing is caused by fungi...

This is one theory.  Others think it may be rust from small iron particles in the paper caused by exposure to relatively humid conditions.  Or all of the above.  Frustrating all the same when it rears it's ugly head.  2c

On 6/13/2021 at 1:41 AM, Albert Thurgood said:

Foxing is caused by fungi and can be removed. This is usually done for high value items such as artworks.

But does anyone know - would CGC give a purple label to a book that had its foxing removed? @The Lions Den?

All I know is Joey Post was very clear in saying that there was no method for treating foxing within the allotable press and cleaning proceses that would give a blue label. Whoever would find that would be a millionaire due to all the GA books that would benefit from it.

Anyways, regarding the book being presented, I see no foxing.

Looks like a clean and press would make this clean up a ton.

I don’t see any “noticeable” foxing that would red flag the book to me.

Foxing is organic in nature and in ancient texts a laser system is being used by universities/museums to restore/preserve old paper. I have not found anything online to say anything with regards to newer papers and comics as the places with said multi 100k laser are busy saving actual historical documents not people’s investment comics ;). That being said they have had a lot of luck with specific frequencies taking and quiet literally destroying the organic foxing and leaving no marks or eveidence of work done or the foxing having been there. 
Maybe within the next decade that solution to the problem will make it to the public and it will cause a giant revolver mess like cleaning and pressing. Heck I have a 7.5 WP Action 252 that is likely 9.4 or better if the foxing was removed. There are so many comics out there that if foxing was eliminated they would jump 1 or more full points causing a massive disruption to what’s out there and values.