• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree question
1 1

25 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, BingBing said:

Screenshot_20210614-152151.png

Read what qualifies as a pedigree collection on CGC's site but it's unclear as to how to qualify for a bronze age pedigree.(such as the Mile High II collection)

O.o Thanks?

19 hours ago, stippy52 said:

Read what qualifies as a pedigree collection on CGC's site but it's unclear as to how to qualify for a bronze age pedigree.(such as the Mile High II collection)

Any insight?

Steps:

1. Be Chuck Rozanski

2. Submit a pallet of comics back when CGC receiving a full pallet of comics in a day was a big deal

3. Don't care that MH II is not a pedigree and no collection of Bronze (or later) books will ever again be recognized as a pedigree

I guess it comes down to definition of Bronze Age. 

I recently purchased a collection from the son of Bronze Age collector that passed away. So far there are multiple HIGH grade copies of a few desirable books. Never read and perfectly stored. I've looked at the census and quite a few of them show up in other pedigree collections. Most of the books are from the '68-'73 period.

In simple terms, a pedigree must be assembled by an owner buying books off the newsstand. 
A collection is where the owner bought the books from secondary sources.

Nick Cage and Jon Berk bought their books from secondary sources, so it is a collection.

In addition to having to be bought off the newsstand, a pedigree has to have exceptional qualities to it. 

Its subjective.  

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

In simple terms, a pedigree must be assembled by an owner buying books off the newsstand. 

Nick Cage and Jon Berk bought their books from secondary sources, so it is a collection.

In addition to having to be bought off the newsstand, a pedigree has to have exceptional qualities to it. 

Its subjective.  

I think this is the most important part.  Most recognized pedigrees fit your criteria, but not all.  As you say, it's subjective and generally requires consensus in the community of collectors for recognition.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Its subjective.  

This gentleman apparently bought multiple copies of the books he collected. All high grade (with exceptions) and most never read.I'm only about 25% into grading them with only about 20% falling below not being worthy of getting graded. I believe still has more books. Surprising hardly any super hero stuff. BIG Kirby fan.

5 minutes ago, stippy52 said:

I may call CGC tomorrow. Find out what they have to say hm

I'm of the opinion that who asks matters.  Its easier to say no to you than to someone who might own part of the company, for example or someone who is the largest dealer in the free world.

36 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'm of the opinion that who asks matters.  Its easier to say no to you than to someone who might own part of the company, for example or someone who is the largest dealer in the free world.

I can definitely see that.

He also has a few Golden age books (multiple copies same issue) but not many. If there are already books listed in A pedigree, doesn't make sense that there would never b another pedigree of the same issue if it met the criteria.

Edited by stippy52

8 minutes ago, K.P.D. said:

What?

Quite a few of the books in the OO collection I purchased have pedigree status under pedigree collections on the GPA. 
Are you stating that the books I purchased cannot be a pedigree due to the fact there aren’t enough golden age books in the collection?

Edited by stippy52

On 6/14/2021 at 2:55 PM, stippy52 said:

I guess it comes down to definition of Bronze Age. 

I recently purchased a collection from the son of Bronze Age collector that passed away. So far there are multiple HIGH grade copies of a few desirable books. Never read and perfectly stored. I've looked at the census and quite a few of them show up in other pedigree collections. Most of the books are from the '68-'73 period.

It depends on various factors.

1. Key books. You need some noteworthy Key books

2. Size 

3. Age

4. Very High Grade.

5. Bought from newsstand

I can think of some various pedigrees that do fit close to what you have.

A late Silver/Bronze age pedigree would have to be of very high quality and something unique.

The pedigrees of this age are the

Haight-Ashbury: (Underground comics)1967-82 with 500 issues. Some very tough books in high grade.
Oakland: Roughly 1966 to 1974 4,000 comics. A wonderful collection filled with some very tough high grade books.

I'd say its possible, but unlikely, and need more information.

Edited by Rip

7 hours ago, stippy52 said:

To ask another question. 
How does a collection get recognized as a “collection “ and not a pedigree?

A provenance is noted as a "collection of". Of noteworthiness is WHO owned the book, often weighed in with what the collection has in it.  Like writer Doug Moench or a famous actor like Nic Cage.

An example of extreme noteworthy collection would be something like Jon Berk.

Or it can be a combination of both pedigree and provenance like Don Rosa.

Edited by Rip