• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic ‘friends’
6 6

42 posts in this topic

When I was at school I had a couple of comic buddies but now as an adult I’m very much a lone wolf when it comes to collecting. 
Trips to any comic bookstore or convention is always alone and apart from here I’ve nobody to share ( bore) about my latest find !

My wife is seriously not Interested also !

curious to know if I’m in the minority or majority of lonely collectors or do most have a companion to share it all with ??!! 

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Not many, really, but it’s varied since starting collecting in the late 70s. I’ve only known two other collectors from my area. The first I met at the newsstand I went to as a kid, and for a couple of years we’d go to the comic marts in Manchester and the book exchanges and bookshops there.  I’d also go to the marts further away in Leeds alone.  We lost touch in 1981, and for the remainder of that decade I’d be out on the hunt alone, including the 6 years I spent living in London.  The only other dedicated collector pal I had was one I met up with again in the early 90s, and we did the northern marts and the TUC Hall marts in London up until 1995, all through the speculator period.  Thereafter, I’d do the events alone.  Throughout, 1970s to 2010s, I’d make the weekly trek to the LCS by myself.

I never really thought about the situation in isolationist terms, having Aspergers and being extremely comfortable without any extensive social group. Never bothered me.

The family never got why I collected comics but weren’t really critical about my obsession.  Disinterested, not sarcastic.

Do you go to the London comic mart ? I’m based in Newcastle but work a lot in London and spend a lot of time in the stores down there. I’ve never been to the London mart but aim to get to the one in august. It looks decent 

2 hours ago, The lips said:

When I was at school I had a couple of comic buddies but now as an adult I’m very much a lone wolf when it comes to collecting. 
Trips to any comic bookstore or convention is always alone and apart from here I’ve nobody to share ( bore) about my latest find !

My wife is seriously not Interested also !

curious to know if I’m in the minority or majority of lonely collectors or do most have a companion to share it all with ??!! 

Well you are less lonely than those who collects train models lol(according to big bang theory tv)

20 minutes ago, The lips said:

Do you go to the London comic mart ? I’m based in Newcastle but work a lot in London and spend a lot of time in the stores down there. I’ve never been to the London mart but aim to get to the one in august. It looks decent 

If it’s the one at the Royal National Hotel, near Euston railway station, I haven’t done that since 2004.

Hopefully another Brit will be along to offer some up-to-date advice.  :smile:

5 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

If it’s the one at the Royal National Hotel, near Euston railway station, I haven’t done that since 2004.

Hopefully another Brit will be along to offer some up-to-date advice.  :smile:

Yeah that’s the one. I’ve seen videos on you tube and it looks good. I think after lockdown though I’m just desperate to visit anything ! 

Like you, I had a couple of friends into comics while in middle school/high school to share bus-riding adventures to a half-dozen LCS's.  Over those years we all dropped off.  As I'm only recently back into collecting after decades away, also like you I don't know anyone.  I had a conversation at a nearby Estate Sale last week with a guy, and should have been more social about it, but it never occurred to me at the time.  The point being I assume those opportunities are going to present in future and hopefully I'll be paying more attention.

My wife has no interest in my collection other than "You're not gonna leave them there are You?" When I do start talking about them,she gets that glazed look in her eyes and I know to shut up before she goes to sleep.l Tried to get my Grandkids interested but just too much other stuff to catch their attention.I'm 50 miles away from the LCS and my buddies I collected with all moved away.I have one friend that collects & sells but right now he spends most of his time taking care of his Mom who has Alzheimer’s.

And truthfully,sometimes I wonder why bother.Collecting is way less fun when you can't share it.

I knew other guys who liked comics but we were into different things so there wasn't a lot I could share. When I was a teenager I was real into Golden Age and comic strips and then Evan Dorkin stuff but all my peers were into Youngblood and Spawn... not knocking those things, just disinterested.

My gal is a serious collector who especially digs old teen and romance comics and is taking me to the Lily Renee Golden Age exhibit in NYC later this summer- so I lucked out there. She's considering cosplaying in the near future and she's leaning towards Nelvana or Mod Wonder Woman. 

Lonely never enters into it with my collections. My wife tolerates it but it wouldn't matter if she didn't. My friends think it's "nice" I have some interests. My family thinks it's "neat" that I have some things I enjoy doing.

I collect because I love collecting. Anyone else's approval is beside the point. Don't need anyone's validation to collect stuff. I showed off some stuff to a friend who likes comics but he refused to give what I showed him any credence. Kinda just poo-poo'ed what I was showing off. Because I had them and he didn't. So, who needs it?

5 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

Correct Sir. She already dresses that way most of the time to begin with and is real into vintage clothing so it could be a fit except she cut her hair earlier this year!

She cut her hair? Does she know about Hair Toppers? They are spendy but it is basically clip on human hair. Quite neat, really. Made for women with alopecia or thinning hair. You can't tell it isn't their hair at all.

I think that's a great way to go. Mod Wonder Woman. Has she seen the covers to #'s 199 and #200? Those are on my want list. The artist lived quite the colorful if truncated life as well.

Edited by Randall Ries

My wife collects comics, and we go to conventions together along with 2 longtime friends who also love to collect. The downside to this is that we have to spread our limited collecting dollars between two different collections (she likes DC stuff and I like Marvel).

8 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

She cut her hair? Does she know about Hair Toppers? They are spendy but it is basically clip on human hair. Quite neat, really. Made for women with alopecia or thinning hair. You can't tell it isn't their hair at all.

I think that's a great way to go. Mod Wonder Woman. Has she seen the covers to #'s 199 and #200? Those are on my want list. The artist lived quite the colorful if truncated life as well.

Ya, she went pixie at the beginning of this year. She also wanted to cosplay as Billy Jack. My girlfriend is crazy. 
Do you mean Sekowsky? Yeah we have all that stuff, a lot of his romance stuff too.