• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don't get it

21 posts in this topic

Because it is doubtful the bids are real. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

Anyone who spends that kind of money on this will be flamed.gif

Well, they aren't all shills. Everybody on that bidding list up to the $3,499.99 bid by goldenagecomics is legit. Above that, I don't know.

Seadogswork buys a lot of books and his bid is likely upstanding. Just going for the big lot instead of hundreds of 10-50 dollar items.

I have no idea about Geo but the person did buy from a couple of bigger sellers for hundreds of dollars

I priced out the values on this auction early on, and decided it was too high at around $3,500. I think the winner will be paying full guide and then some. There are some nice keys, but there are also quite a few classics and other titles that sell well below guide on a regular basis.

I'll be interesting to see where it ends.

I could probably pull together a similar lot in "poor....fair....and glorious good condition also". If this sells well, I might feel tempted....but my conscience won't let me.

I'd be scared to pick up a collection described this way. Why wouldn't the seller at least read how to grade?

The sky's the limit........

There are some desireable books in the lot. And for a precode horror fan it is danged intriquing. But I have to wonder, even with the nice looking covers soy?me of them have, what will happen when the books are opened. Page quality? Page count? Scribbling? It is a crop shoot.

Or to quote HAL, "I'm sorry Dave, I don't have enough information."

I've done a bit more calculating.

If the book numbers and dates are listed correctly, the total lot is worth approximately $7667 in Overstreet "Good" condition. This assumes $150 for the 40 some odd coverless horror books that are unnamed.

The biggest ticket books are as follows with the "Good" value behind. Note the seller lists many of these as Fair an dPoor with Good being the best written grade. The books appear to be in the G to VG range from the photo.

Haunt of Fear 1 $276

Haunt of Fear 16 $117

Haunt of Fear 17 $117

House of Mystery 1 $238

Wierd Mysteries 3 $113

Tales from the Crypt 20 $112

Tales from the Crypt 21 $92

Mister Mystery 1 $90

Mister Mystery 7 $121

Weird Tales 4 $138

Phantom Stranger 1 $192

Phantom Sranger 1 (2nd copy) $192

Black Magic 1 $131

Approximately $2,000 for the top 13 books.

If the auction is legit, and the books complete, a collector would be doing well if they could get it for 1/2 guide or $4,000. Any more is pure speculation on a sellers willingness to give away money.

Not likely.

I'm watching to see how this one plays out. popcorn.gif

If the auction is legit, and the books complete, a collector would be doing well if they could get it for 1/2 guide or $4,000. Any more is pure speculation on a sellers willingness to give away money.

Thanks for taking the time to crunch the number. Still, even at half guide, that's not much better than a lot of these books would get a person individually on ebay. My guess is that these books will go to somebody who hopes to reap an insanely overpriced reward at a convention or something. confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyone who wants to pay $40+ per book across the horror I have listed on ebay (and the 60-80 more I am in the process of listing) should contact me.

Why am I taking the time to give each of these a detailed grade if I can just take them out of their mylar, make big stacks in my living room and a cursory list with a cursory grade, play like I'm in over my head, and get insane bids? Why? It's very frustrating.

Why am I taking the time to give each of these a detailed grade if I can just take them out of their mylar, make big stacks in my living room and a cursory list with a cursory grade, play like I'm in over my head, and get insane bids? Why? It's very frustrating.

I feel your pain. I think I'm going to just call everything 9.9 MINT so I can get the crazy bids--sometimes I feel like a charity when I'm selling.

For non-key, common High Grade 9.4 or better slabs, you are better off consigning them, or trading/selling them at cons.

For keys you will do okay on Ebay.

Ebay is a bargain basement site to pick up deals, and sell there if you dont care about what the final price will be.

Now I am even more confused. Ended $8400 and the buyer looks legit, though I really didn't dig too much. There has to be something in there people are going after. ECs? Pre-code crime and horror?

I received three additional photos from the seller.

The email was honest and forthright in my opinion. The books looked to be G/VG at best and there were some in the stacks that obviously had rough (taped spines). Good Guide on her listing is just over $7K and someone thinks that the lot must grade higher. There may be a few real killer books that she sent photos to individuals that might blow the estimate out of the water, but the winner will be getting lots of great copies in low grade that will likely hit the market over the next year or two. I'll attach them to a post when I get home tonight.