• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A discussion about comic conventions, post pandemic.
2 2

55 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

Have been going to my local small-ish con since it started back up in Jan.  No issues at all -- masks are required and the number of folks in the room at one time is limited.  Can't beat the selection or the great deals to be had.  And only $3 to get in.  In fact, there's another coming up this Sunday!

Another Shoff Productions customer, I take it!

I haven't been to any since before all this, considered the most recent one but decided against. Would possibly go this week if I wasn't out of town.

12 hours ago, ttfitz said:

Another Shoff Productions customer, I take it!

I haven't been to any since before all this, considered the most recent one but decided against. Would possibly go this week if I wasn't out of town.

Yep.....Shoff Productions fan here.  They've done a great job through this whole pandemic of running a safe convention.  Have gone to all that they've set up, with no problems at all. Its been the one place to still find bargains on big-ticket books through all this price-escalation craziness.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:42 PM, VintageComics said:

Well, it's been a while.

How do you folks feel about going back to shows?

I think most people know by now that with the schedule crammed and many people trying to put on shows at the same time that Chicago / Motor City (Detroit) and Indianapolis are on the same weekends. For weekends like this, if you live in the area of these shows, how do you decide which show you want to go to since they're all within driving distance of each other?

Will you avoid shows until things are fully in the clear?

I think going back to shows will be fine, for me. Having the Indy, Chicago, and Detroit shows on the same weekend is a debacle.

The one thing I am sure of is that the next time I see you at a show, there will be no social distancing.😍

4 minutes ago, electricprune said:

The one thing I am sure of is that the next time I see you at a show, there will be no social distancing.😍

If you're going to kiss me you better shave first.

I haven't been to a live show in about 4 years. 

I use to live near Boston and would make it a point to go to the Boston ComicCon every year. I have allot of great memories from those shows, like spending hours talking to Allen Bellman. 

Since I moved from MA I have only gone to smaller shows. Partly because of the pandemic, partly because my kids were just a little too young, but mostly because it's just a hassle to go to big shows with travel and everything else. 

Now that my kids are a little older, I'd like to go to some shows, but like others have said, I don't generally go to buy big books.  

The last show I went to was C2E2 in February of 2020; if I'd had any idea of how bad the Pandemic was going to get, I would've skipped it out of caution and concern. I *cannot wait* to start going to shows again; both my local monthly shows and the big shows (likely just Baltimore, which was the only one I ever went to). I have more money to spend now than I used to, even as prices have risen, but more importantly, I can't wait to see my favorite dealers again and get back to that social aspect of the shows.

15 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

The last show I went to was C2E2 in February of 2020; if I'd had any idea of how bad the Pandemic was going to get, I would've skipped it out of caution and concern. I *cannot wait* to start going to shows again; both my local monthly shows and the big shows (likely just Baltimore, which was the only one I ever went to). I have more money to spend now than I used to, even as prices have risen, but more importantly, I can't wait to see my favorite dealers again and get back to that social aspect of the shows.

Local monthly shows?  Tell me more. 

Those of you who live in Southern California probably know Frank and Son in the City of Industry.  In a nutshell it's a convention every weekend held in a former Sam's Club and is currently dominated these days by card collectors.  I went there three times during the pandemic when there were restrictions were 10% of the building occupancy.  The first time I went it was closed.   The other two times I went there was a line that stretched for about about and hour or two and people were patiently waiting to get in - I wasn't one of them.  When occupancy restrictions were softened and I was fully vaccinated I went back and there was no line - I zipped right in.  Everyone is excited to experience conventions - for a fan it'll be easier than for a dealer who may not be able to have more than one location (Harley Yee comes to mind).  Frank and Son's has about a half dozen decent comic dealers which is not too bad for a single place but I am utterly astounded at the amount of sport, pokemon and MTG stands that have now popped up.

On 6/18/2021 at 8:11 AM, RonS2112 said:

Yep.....Shoff Productions fan here.  They've done a great job through this whole pandemic of running a safe convention.  Have gone to all that they've set up, with no problems at all. Its been the one place to still find bargains on big-ticket books through all this price-escalation craziness.

I went to the show on Sunday. First comic show I went to since March 8, 2020. Had a great time.

BTW ticket sales for Baltimore are off the charts.

21 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Those of you who live in Southern California probably know Frank and Son in the City of Industry.  In a nutshell it's a convention every weekend held in a former Sam's Club and is currently dominated these days by card collectors.  I went there three times during the pandemic when there were restrictions were 10% of the building occupancy.  The first time I went it was closed.   The other two times I went there was a line that stretched for about about and hour or two and people were patiently waiting to get in - I wasn't one of them.  When occupancy restrictions were softened and I was fully vaccinated I went back and there was no line - I zipped right in.  Everyone is excited to experience conventions - for a fan it'll be easier than for a dealer who may not be able to have more than one location (Harley Yee comes to mind).  Frank and Son's has about a half dozen decent comic dealers which is not too bad for a single place but I am utterly astounded at the amount of sport, pokemon and MTG stands that have now popped up.

I went to Frank and Sons last weekend while on vacation at Disneyland.  It seemed like a normal comic convention atmosphere with very few masks.  It almost felt like everything was back to normal.  It's the first time I've been there in 4 years and I found a number of cool books to buy. 

I attended one of the Ohana cons in Norcal about a month ago and there were a lot of people there.  The comic selection was a joke, but still plenty of foot traffic.

I;ll be attending my first decent sized local show this weekend.  We'll see how it goes.

On 6/17/2021 at 6:40 AM, RonS2112 said:

Have been going to my local small-ish con since it started back up in Jan.  No issues at all -- masks are required and the number of folks in the room at one time is limited. And only $3 to get in.  there's another coming up this Sunday!

Same here in the suburb of Vancouver, BC, Canada. Monthly Sunday micro-con held in the foyer of a strip mall next to a small LCS. 8 small vendor's tables of which most are occupied by that store's staff and loyal subscribers. Free admission, free parking, must wear masks and use the hand-sanitizer offered. Strict crowd control, as currently BC allows indoor events to have max 50 people including vendors, and 6' social distancing.

Other local cons waiting for the July 1, 2021 BC Health Authority announcement to hopefully allow indoor attendance of max 250 ppl through the summer. Then after Labor Day, remove all indoor attendance restrictions for events. But AB, Canada seems to be allowing indoor attendance events up to 25,000 ppl after Canada Day (July 1).

On 6/16/2021 at 7:42 PM, VintageComics said:

Well, it's been a while.

How do you folks feel about going back to shows?

I think most people know by now that with the schedule crammed and many people trying to put on shows at the same time that Chicago / Motor City (Detroit) and Indianapolis are on the same weekends. For weekends like this, if you live in the area of these shows, how do you decide which show you want to go to since they're all within driving distance of each other?

As dealers, how do you decide which shows you plan on doing?

Will you avoid shows until things are fully in the clear?

Are you done with shows because you realize you can buy everything online?

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

I'm looking forward to the return of actual conventions. I've been attending local shows in recent months since those have been going on, but they just don't have the same feeling as an actual con would since they're limited.

On 6/23/2021 at 10:48 PM, FlyingDonut said:
On 6/18/2021 at 8:11 AM, RonS2112 said:

I went to the show on Sunday. First comic show I went to since March 8, 2020. Had a great time.

BTW ticket sales for Baltimore are off the charts

One of the MANY things I miss since moving away from that area.