• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Way To Store Expensive Slabs
1 1

34 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Jginsberg79 said:

Serious question as gun safes are bad, sitting in my closet isn't great. Any good way to store slabs to adjust for humidity and light?

Also and perhaps there's a post already, any good way to display without inevitable damage?

Just store them in your room in a CGC long box. The box will protect from light and it being in your room means the comics are in the room that you feel comfortable in. The ideal temperature for a comic is the same as the ideal temperature for humans.

I keep mine in a box in my bedroom. It is a little cooler in there than the rest of my place. That said I don't own anything that valuable, I think the most valuable book I own is worth $10,000k, so I am not that worried about temperature and humidity control. I also live in a cooler and dryer climate.

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

If you'd like to store these non-valuable $10,000,000 books, you're more than welcome to leave them at my place.  lol

is all perspective, all I am saying is I don't own millions of dollars of books 

13 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:

Safety deposit box at the bank is pretty inexpensive.  Temp and humidity should be fine there.  Secure.  Bit of a hassle to get to if you need them.

I stopped by the bank with my parents the other day to retrieve something from the deposit box.  I had always wondered about the climate conditions in there, and they seem to be decent.  The problem is size.  I don't know if you can get different sized boxes, but the one my parents had stuff stored in was deep, short, and i'm not sure if it was wide enough for a slab.  In any case, it certainly wasn't large enough to hold more than 4-6 slabs perhaps.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

I stopped by the bank with my parents the other day to retrieve something from the deposit box.  I had always wondered about the climate conditions in there, and they seem to be decent.  The problem is size.  I don't know if you can get different sized boxes, but the one my parents had stuff stored in was deep, short, and i'm not sure if it was wide enough for a slab.  In any case, it certainly wasn't large enough to hold more than 4-6 slabs perhaps.

My bank has a variety of sizes.  I don't keep any books in mine (but am planning to move a couple there) but it would fit slabs.  As you say, though, probably not more than a half dozen as it's relatively wide and long, but not very deep.  But I have a pretty small box compared to some of the ones available.  I'm paying about $50 a year - bigger would be more - so it's a pretty inexpensive in the great scheme of $10,000 - $100,000 comics. 

1 hour ago, MattTheDuck said:

My bank has a variety of sizes.  I don't keep any books in mine (but am planning to move a couple there) but it would fit slabs.  As you say, though, probably not more than a half dozen as it's relatively wide and long, but not very deep.  But I have a pretty small box compared to some of the ones available.  I'm paying about $50 a year - bigger would be more - so it's a pretty inexpensive in the great scheme of $10,000 - $100,000 comics. 

Are contents of the deposit box insured by the bank?  For example, let's say someone sets fire to the bank, would you be covered?  (Assuming you don't have Collectible Insurance or some other 3rd party coverage).

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

Are contents of the deposit box insured by the bank?  For example, let's say someone sets fire to the bank, would you be covered?  (Assuming you don't have Collectible Insurance or some other 3rd party coverage).

The bank does not insure the contents, so you're still on the hook for that expense as well.  However, I'm sure your insurance company (if they even insure collectibles) would be very pleased if you were using a safe deposit box.

9 hours ago, Jginsberg79 said:

Serious question as gun safes are bad, sitting in my closet isn't great. Any good way to store slabs to adjust for humidity and light?

Also and perhaps there's a post already, any good way to display without inevitable damage?

Why are gun safes bad? I've used one for many years.

Safe deposit box is the best answer for very valuable books (whatever your definition is--mine is >$10k).

13 minutes ago, 143ksk said:

Why are gun safes bad? I've used one for many years.

Safe deposit box is the best answer for very valuable books (whatever your definition is--mine is >$10k).

I hear gun safes have very poor humidity control in general and tend to rust staples. This is just what I've read over multiple threads but can't confirm beyond that.

Thank you all for the info and thoughts so far!

10 hours ago, MattTheDuck said:

man you guys are so out of my league. I never did the math, but my entire collection can't be much more than 100k. Then again, that's what I get for collecting cheap GA books.

I keep my slabs safely stuffed in waterproof Ziploc bags and hide them inside my toilet tank (complete darkness and the last place thieves will look). Another sneaky place to store slabs (again, in waterproof cases - very important!) is hidden beneath the gravel in your piranha tank (I even have a little deep-sea diver and bubbling treasure chest placed in my own aquarium to make sure I remember where I buried the comics). Not sure about the humidity as far as either of those suggestions go, though...

And raw comics? I hide them under my mattress: zero light, free pressing and I sleep as soundly as a princess with a pea knowing any burglars will have to roll my load off my king-size Casper to steal my sheet!   :acclaim:

4 hours ago, Jginsberg79 said:

I hear gun safes have very poor humidity control in general and tend to rust staples. This is just what I've read over multiple threads but can't confirm beyond that.

Thank you all for the info and thoughts so far!

Gun safes are made to store metal objects (guns). I have had 5 figure books in a gun safe for literally decades. That said, having some sort of dehumidifier and monitoring the humidity level are certainly prudent.

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

I keep my slabs safely stuffed in waterproof Ziploc bags and hide them inside my toilet tank (complete darkness and the last place thieves will look). Another sneaky place to store slabs (again, in waterproof cases - very important!) is hidden beneath the gravel in your piranha tank (I even have a little deep-sea diver and bubbling treasure chest placed in my own aquarium to make sure I remember where I buried the comics). Not sure about the humidity as far as either of those suggestions go, though...

And raw comics? I hide them under my mattress: zero light, free pressing and I sleep as soundly as a princess with a pea knowing any burglars will have to roll my load off my king-size Casper to steal my sheet!   :acclaim:

I thought burying them under your garden was best as the mineral contribute to the health of the pages? Just ensuring you water frequently...