• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No way its a 9.2
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Sent in an ASM comic which is in mint condition and has always been in a bag and board, even when I bought it from the comic shop. I inspected it thoroughly and didn't see any defects, especially being a brand new comic. It came back as a 9.2 with grader notes saying light bends to cover, which I do not see at all and clearly do not agree with the grading. 

Thanks in advance 

Jason

Just now, Jason R. Casares said:

Sent in an ASM comic which is in mint condition and has always been in a bag and board, even when I bought it from the comic shop. I inspected it thoroughly and didn't see any defects, especially being a brand new comic. It came back as a 9.2 with grader notes saying light bends to cover, which I do not see at all and clearly do not agree with the grading. 

Thanks in advance 

Jason

Did you take scans before? Have you ever submitted before? 

Understand that your grading and CGC's grading can be different levels.
I suggest you visit the grading thread to see if your grading matches the books before you submit again.

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Did you take scans before? Have you ever submitted before? 

Understand that your grading and CGC's grading can be different levels.
I suggest you visit the grading thread to see if your grading matches the books before you submit again.

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I've sent in over 30 books for grading and gotten back from 4.5s to 9.8s and have agreed with them all but this is the only one I strongly disagree with. I did not take scans beforehand. 

It may sound tedious, but here is what I do when trying to realllly accurately grade my own books (usually I just inspect for several minutes but if sending to CGC, I would take more time)

Inspect under direct lighting. Tilt the book, so you can see it at all angles (not in a bag I might add). And do the same for the back. You would be suprirsed how many people do NOT do this. They simply look at their book in a bag and board, think it looks sharp and send it off. Sure, some of the time the 9.4-9.8 you see will happen...but often times you get scenarios like this where you miss something. I also suggest taking front and back scans or pics of books prior to sending, or even a video detailing the book so you have evidence of its condition before sending (again, maybe not on every book if you submit a lot but definitely high value ones to ensure damage does not happen while at CGC). 

No one likes to admit they are wrong. It takes a gut check and honesty with yourself. These bends mentioned are probably not visible in the slab. But they are in direct lighting, when the book is raw and graded. Think of it like a faint dent in a car. Sometimes these go unnoticed if you are standing a few feet away from the car, you look at it, it seems perfect. But when you getup close and personally, you can see the dent or bend in this case. 

A press would have likely helped this and achieved the grade you probably saw. Pressing tends to remove a lot of bends and results (generally) in higher graded books. 

Light bends to cover are really easy to miss. I tend to look closely at the corners and spine for the "usually" detractors on high grade books, but it can be crushing to miss something like this.  

The good news is, if a higher grade is really important to you,  a press likely resolves this issue.  The bad news is,  resubbing and getting a press will take months after just having waited months to get it graded the first time. 

14 hours ago, Jason R. Casares said:

Thanks in advance 

Jason

Did you press the book before getting it graded? Finger bends that don't break colour wont be easy to see, so they can easily be missed. Also would help if you posted an image of the slab.

16 hours ago, Jason R. Casares said:

Thanks in advance 

Jason

1.  You’re welcome.

2.  You didn’t ask a question.

3. Grading is subjective.

4. Books can be damaged in transit and even occasionally during grading.

5.  Using justifications of “being bagged and boarded of the store shelf” for high condition is terminology that betrays inexperience with grading.  

6. as stated by others, sometimes it takes different angles and different lighting to see defects.

7.  CGC does actually make grading mistakes, hopefully quite rare, but they do.  If you’re sure an injustice has occurred, contact Cgc about potential remedies (I don’t know if there are any other than resubmit, but who knows?).  

Good luck

On 6/18/2021 at 10:45 AM, revat said:

1.  You’re welcome.

5.  Using justifications of “being bagged and boarded of the store shelf” for high condition is terminology that betrays inexperience with grading.  

6. as stated by others, sometimes it takes different angles and different lighting to see defects.

7.  CGC does actually make grading mistakes, hopefully quite rare, but they do.  If you’re sure an injustice has occurred, contact Cgc about potential remedies (I don’t know if there are any other than resubmit, but who knows?).  

Good luck

You're right, I didn't and should have asked for opinions but since I never encountered an issue like this, I guess I just wanted opinions and thoughts about what I should do. But thank you for the responses, I really appreciate them all.

On 6/18/2021 at 12:45 PM, revat said:

1.  You’re welcome.

Good luck

tumblr_oby5brV38Q1vbe7guo1_1280.jpg.b61e16402f7fe1dcaad3bae9549b5cce.jpg

1874407442_tenor(5).gif.86a4e827b05f0ed48c2031a2414a9dcc.gif