• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As you wait for CGC to grade your books - How do you feel when a daily email arrives announcing another private signing?
4 4

87 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You don't think that driving people to pay for higher tiers may be a calculated business decision? Isn't that how capitalism works?

It goes the other way too

For instance Conan #1for the Roy Thomas signing, if it was high enough grade, it's still the flat signature fee.

4 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

Meh, maybe not a popular opinion but I always feel like anyone willing to spend $875 on a Jim Lee sign/sketch deserves the express treatment over me who sent in modern slow track books. I always look at is that’s part of what people are paying for in those fees. And I say that as someone who has never sent for a CGC signing event and currently has 75 books sitting somewhere at CGC. 

What about people that spend $25-100K  per year at CGC? hm

14 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

What about people that spend $25-100K  per year at CGC? hm

For a single book? The example I gave was one book… if you spend 25k on one book I’m guessing CGC will gladly do it in a single day for you 

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

You don't think that driving people to pay for higher tiers may be a calculated business decision? Isn't that how capitalism works?

Bingo. People don’t like to hear it, but CGC has an Express tier if you’re willing to pay, if you’re not it’s fairly simple you’re going to the back of the line, and yeah that’s behind the sigs events that they also make a premium on. We as consumers can choose to go elsewhere… 

45 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

For a single book? The example I gave was one book… if you spend 25k on one book I’m guessing CGC will gladly do it in a single day for you 

IMO Dealers who submit thousands of books per year should always go before Mr Johnny Rocket's 2 book modern invoice which contains a Spawn 1 CGC 9.2, and Secret Wars #8 CGC 7.5.

There should be a dealer tier and a retail tier for TaT's.

Dealers go first. :foryou:

The TAT situation they are in currently is way worse than con season in non-pandemic years.

Honestly, all these signing should be handled like on-site grading was.
There should be a cap to the total number of books for the signing (whatever on-site was capped at) and the work should be completed within a week.
There should only be one signing every other month, like on-site wasn't available at every convention.
You can get a pair of creators together, but the total cap still remains the same for the entire signing not per creator.

Also, as per Jim Lee, the older board members will remember the fiasco of the private sketch option where he claimed there would be no personalization and then changed his mind.
Then getting a $600 (yep, that's what the sketch price was before) refund from Jim Lee was like pulling teeth.
Yep, the guy that was running DC took months to refund people (speaking from personal experience) $600.
I always wondered why...anyone know?

Edited by umyeahwhatevers

52 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

IMO Dealers who submit thousands of books per year should always go before Mr Johnny Rocket's 2 book modern invoice which contains a Spawn 1 CGC 9.2, and Secret Wars #8 CGC 7.5.

Stop being such a muppet:makepoint:

52 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I guess.. I don’t know the numbers on how much money CGC makes off Mr Johnny Rockets vs Dealers. Again this is not a 1:1 comparison, there’s a lot more people submitting at levels below the dealer level you’re talking about.

36 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

I guess.. I don’t know the numbers on how much money CGC makes off Mr Johnny Rockets vs Dealers. Again this is not a 1:1 comparison, there’s a lot more people submitting at levels below the dealer level you’re talking about.

Their books usually suck. :grin:

Plus I am really just posting in this thread to troll my friend Mike! (Transplant)

Edited by NewWorldOrder

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I roll my eyes at Diego Luna, Sara Frazetta, and anyone else that is going to gummy up the lines...  Out of every signing they have had, I have participated in two.   I did the first McFarlane thing because... McFarlane.  I did the Eastman one because I hang around a boardie that religiously collects Turtles and the itch rubbed off on me to submit a book just because.   I have not submitted for any other signing and and do not plan to.

However, I usually send books down and the TAT's still give me pause to do so.   So.. no books sent. 

This one was definitely a "which one of these is not like the others". I was baffled at this. 

Holy Moley! Just out of curiosity I went to the submission form and checked out how many of these things are scheduled. I had no idea ... not really a sig guy. No wonder the TATs are so long. CGC's ears will be ringing all day now.

2 hours ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

If you see the turnaround times and cry

If you see the signing announcements and just sigh…

If you sit around and wonder why?

And know they love you…🙂

Which they don't have to do

20 hours ago, umyeahwhatevers said:

The TAT situation they are in currently is way worse than con season in non-pandemic years.

Honestly, all these signing should be handled like on-site grading was.
There should be a cap to the total number of books for the signing (whatever on-site was capped at) and the work should be completed within a week.
There should only be one signing every other month, like on-site wasn't available at every convention.
You can get a pair of creators together, but the total cap still remains the same for the entire signing not per creator.

So they should voluntarily limit their potential income stream to make a few customers happy?

I'm waiting on tons of books and haaaate the TAT's, but I still love the signings. (Comic artists and writers. Movie stars... no thanks, that ish is just silly)

See I don't do cons, so for me this is the only way I'm getting SS books from gnarly artists. Would I prefer to meet them? Of course, but it's just not in the cards.  Speaking of cons, if they were active right now you'd have similar (though admittedly not as extreme) backups due to employees being away from regular grading duties and a surge of submissions.  Ultimately CGC is a "make money" business, not a "make hardcore collectors feel awesome" business.  They have a miriad of problems when it comes to TAT's, customer service, quality control, etc... All of which need to be addressed.  But to halt everything and bleed money just isn't realistic.  And through all the complaints thousands upon thousands of books are coming in every day.  If you don't like it, stop submitting and guess what?  Drop in the bucket. THEY WON'T MISS YOU.  Enough of YOU (us) and it would be a problem, but that's never gonna happen.

All the TAT info is out there, do a tiny bit of research before you submit. If you can't wait, go somewhere else and wait almost as long.

Quit whining, bring on the signing.

On 6/18/2021 at 6:40 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It goes the other way too

For instance Conan #1for the Roy Thomas signing, if it was high enough grade, it's still the flat signature fee.

Thank you for saying that.  I bought a deslabbed 9.4 a few years back and want to get it slabbed again and this is the best way to do that.  :)