• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Super Giant #21 LOVE cover recreations by original artist Charles Armentano!
2 2

132 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, iggy said:

Tell me that line work is the same...:whistle:

example 1.jpg

example2.jpg

example3.jpg

example4.jpg

I admit its baffling-there are differences-but the parts that are exactly the same are exactly the same-and you just cannot accomplish that by tracing.  Somehow in changing the colored cover to a black and white cover some parts were redrawn.  The whole thing though-aboslutely not redrawn.

Nope... completely redrawn for print. We’ll just have to disagree. :foryou:

I don’t see what’s so hard about tracing with wet media acetate... it’s a form of acetate that accepts ink instead of repelling it. That’s how I would have done it but would have stayed more true to his line work out of respect. Must have been a rush job...

1 hour ago, iggy said:

Nope... completely redrawn for print. We’ll just have to disagree. :foryou:

I don’t see what’s so hard about tracing with wet media acetate... it’s a form of acetate that accepts ink instead of repelling it. That’s how I would have done it but would have stayed more true to his line work out of respect. Must have been a rush job...

I have done hundreds of cover recreations.  I have a steady hand.  It is impossible to exactly recreate something.  Line width, disance between lines-there is just no way to get it exact.  For one thing as you trace over a line, you cannot see it anymore.  Also slight hand movements weigh in.  The parts of this cover-98+%-that are exacly the same, cannot have been traced.  It's also very time consuming to try an exact trace.  Back then they didnt care-why would they spend time on the attempt? Just get it close and get the book out. 

Edited by kav

8 minutes ago, iggy said:

Is there a particular area that’s exactly the same? I’ll go in with the magnifying glass...

You know i think you have convinced me.  It seems to have been completely redrawn.
@*paull*

Edited by kav

Incredible.   But I was right-there is no way to exactly copy a piece.   This was close but really not that close once you see it.  I have emailed the artist.

So does this affect the value of the heritage piece?  And where is the actual art that was used to print the cover?  

3 minutes ago, kav said:

You know i think you have convinced me.  It seems to have been completely redrawn.

If I was as skilled at digital editing as Flee I would use a gif of a Polaroid Camera where the picture popping out of it would be a screen shot of this, but guess this will have to suffice. 

1461820810_tenor(8).gif.e34d85004c4a4b734858ce373c23fa5a.gif

2 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

If I was as skilled at digital editing as Flee I would use a gif of a Polaroid Camera where the picture popping out of it would be a screen shot of this, but guess this will have to suffice. 

1461820810_tenor(8).gif.e34d85004c4a4b734858ce373c23fa5a.gif

Everyone knows I have never been shy about admitting I was wrong.

The problem was submitting art with marker on it- same problem as the back cover of #5... if it was just light marker colors like yellow and light blue, they could have knocked it out with a camera trick on a stat then touched it up as necessary. Red is the worst- it turns black.

2 minutes ago, iggy said:

The problem was submitting art with marker on it- same problem as the back cover of #5... if it was just light marker colors like yellow and light blue, they could have knocked it out with a camera trick on a stat then touched it up as necessary. Red is the worst- it turns black.

Was #5 also redrawed?

I haven’t examined that submitted art versus what was printed yet, but looks like a lot more usable as is... maybe take a stat of the whole piece, then x-acto out the color areas and use them for color seps.

3 minutes ago, iggy said:

I haven’t examined that submitted art versus what was printed yet, but looks like a lot more usable as is... maybe take a stat of the whole piece, then x-acto out the color areas and use them for color seps.

So is the heritage piece still considered the original art?  I mean he did the design, DC just had it traced.  The tracer cannot be considered the"artist" of the cover-it was just part of the production process, right?  Do you think the buyers of the piece were aware of all this?  I have so many questions.

Yeah that is beautiful original art by a true artist who didn’t realize all the steps of the process. The signature is actually different on the printed comic which seems odd. Not just placement.

4 minutes ago, iggy said:

Yeah that is beautiful original art by a true artist who didn’t realize all the steps of the process. The signature is actually different on the printed comic which seems odd. Not just placement.

He was an illustrator used to having his colored work photographed and printed in a different manner.  Wasnt aware he should turn in B & W art with a color guide.

Just now, iggy said:

Here's the sigs, the difference especially noticeable on the lower loop of the R...

example5.jpg

example6.jpg

yep completely different.

In my opinion his submitted OA would be more valuable than the recreated art used for print, if it still exists. It would look disjointed with partial line work that’s probably a stat on an art board created from shooting the acetate of traced art with several sheets of ruby- or amber- lith.

Edited by iggy