• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Super Giant #21 LOVE cover recreations by original artist Charles Armentano!
2 2

132 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

it is clear to me the artwork used in print production is different from the original as drawn. It was common practice in the 1970's to work as paste ups. They would have done a photostat of the original art and redone the line work where needed to create a good black layer without color. As an example the girl's face was colored in with marker and if they used the original in production you would see the line variations created by the marker, so that would have been redone / traced to create a colorless line version. It may have been faster to cut out the interior of the girl's face to retain the outline, then only redraw the interior sections. Other parts of the original art would have been black filled either with ink or could have been cut out film placed on the acetate all done to create a good solid black. The film I used was a dark red slightly translucent so you could see through it but in photo it blocked light entirely. It stuck to acetate and could be cut into shapes and you pulled the sections you didn't want off the acetate. Working this way they retain the original art as the artist created.

As iggy said, find any areas that are the same.  I was unable to do so.  The entire thing was redrawn.

3 hours ago, kav said:

As iggy said, find any areas that are the same.  I was unable to do so.  The entire thing was redrawn.

yes it was, I think it was a combination of redrawn and cut and paste

Edited by Artboy99

54 minutes ago, MB1952 said:

Here some DC Super Spectacular #5 art stats pick up long ago, go great with my copy. 

48C381B5-D564-4D7A-BD50-CEA2E744416A.jpeg

534E5A92-6461-40B6-A622-8C651A89298C.jpeg

FDC49EAA-30A2-4156-A1C1-F080814FCEBF.jpeg

wow they really fiddled with them.

Big ups to Kav for actually admitting he was wrong on the tracing thing. It's a sad rarity these days to see people do that and admit they were wrong, publicly. Good on you, mate. 

12 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Big ups to Kav for actually admitting he was wrong on the tracing thing. It's a sad rarity these days to see people do that and admit they were wrong, publicly. Good on you, mate. 

mail.gif

:acclaim:

Charles is putting it up on Heritage for you Romance collectors-I will keep posted.  Anyone know such collectors pls tag em.  This would be stunning hanging on someone's wall.  50 years after he drew the original cover he did this, at my suggestion.

Edited by kav

The way it began…

On 6/19/2021 at 9:44 AM, N e r V said:

16AB4E1C-43AF-4E64-8CA2-4D8CDCC39EC8.thumb.jpeg.7f09b03fbb5e1e5b39cff57dda66edc5.jpeg

Murphy Anderson pedigree

On 6/20/2021 at 12:07 PM, kav said:

gorgeous

On 6/20/2021 at 12:13 PM, kav said:

OA sold recently for 7200
Original Comic Art:Covers, Charlie Armentano Super DC Giant S-21 "Love 1971" Cover Original Art (DC, 1971)....

On 6/20/2021 at 1:31 PM, N e r V said:

Yeah saw that. Artist only did like 2 covers (the other is a back cover though) and the original art is actually colored too as you can see from your post…

On 6/20/2021 at 1:53 PM, kav said:

Can find zero information abt the artist charles armentano.

On 6/20/2021 at 2:24 PM, N e r V said:

I often wondered if it’s him:

http://charlesarmentanoart.com

His career timeline works to have done it but who knows…

On 6/20/2021 at 2:33 PM, kav said:

Highly doubt it but I sent him a message.

On 6/20/2021 at 3:05 PM, N e r V said:

I highly don’t know but I’m glad you sent him a message. It’ll be interesting to see if there are 2 artists in the world with the same name as that. 

On 6/20/2021 at 3:08 PM, kav said:

maybe its his dad did the cover.

On 6/20/2021 at 3:49 PM, kav said:

He just emailed me!  He is indeed the artist!  I replied
Can you tell me how you came to draw this cover and why you didnt do any others?  The work is fantastic.  
Will share the results.  This is a great day for comic historians!!!
@Buzzetta  I thought this might interest you.  You know how I'm always reaching out to creators.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:21 PM, N e r V said:

The way it began…

Great historical post!!  Its all recorded now.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:29 PM, N e r V said:

This ped was one of my personal “Best Buy’s” from last year. I love the late 60’s to early 70’s style they did. It really is like owing a Steranko romance comic.

Due to our conversation, this painting has been created.  Some lucky collector shall reap the benefits.

I think it came out wonderful and is something I might make a run at but really can’t justify it since I already have so much art in storage. It’s a war with me and my GF since she’s into more of fine art vs comic book art. But I really, really do love that cover so the comic ped will have to suffice. I hope he gets bank for it and does more.

It’s an expensive issue due to scarcity but I have to wonder if the covers were reversed if this issue would be in even higher demand with the other piece of charles armentano art as it’s front piece?

92710A5D-E958-4C09-A740-85D519F96CB5.thumb.jpeg.fd04f4cd48d2d8365eb6f475fd6b8d62.jpeg