• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Super Giant #21 LOVE cover recreations by original artist Charles Armentano!
2 2

132 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, iggy said:

In my opinion his submitted OA would be more valuable than the recreated art used for print, if it still exists. It would look disjointed with partial line work that’s probably a stat on an art board created from shooting the acetate of traced art with several sheets of ruby- or amber- lith.

absolutely.   He is the artist of that cover.

2 minutes ago, iggy said:

It would be fun to see if it turns up and gets sold at Heritage... if it sold for more, the owner of the Armentano original should be ecstatic. In this market...

Pretty sure it was tossed long ago.
And ps: :pullhair:

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 11.19.43 PM.png

Just now, greggy said:

Nerds

You wouldnt know a comic book if it bit you on the ***!

it is clear to me the artwork used in print production is different from the original as drawn. It was common practice in the 1970's to work as paste ups. They would have done a photostat of the original art and redone the line work where needed to create a good black layer without color. As an example the girl's face was colored in with marker and if they used the original in production you would see the line variations created by the marker, so that would have been redone / traced to create a colorless line version. It may have been faster to cut out the interior of the girl's face to retain the outline, then only redraw the interior sections. Other parts of the original art would have been black filled either with ink or could have been cut out film placed on the acetate all done to create a good solid black. The film I used was a dark red slightly translucent so you could see through it but in photo it blocked light entirely. It stuck to acetate and could be cut into shapes and you pulled the sections you didn't want off the acetate. Working this way they retain the original art as the artist created.

Edited by Artboy99

On 6/21/2021 at 7:33 PM, greggy said:

DC5.jpg

SuperDCGiant17.jpg

SuperDCGiant21.jpg

Oksner, Cardy, and Armentano covers! Fantastic copies! Greggy is a Triple Crown Winner! (I am too!). Any other DC Bronze Age Romance Giant Triple Crowners?