• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Image Comics Will Not Work With Warren Ellis Until He Has Made Amends
2 2

80 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

All is not fair in love and war. Especially when one of the participants is operating from a position of power and privilege. That's sort of the point. but also, seriously, the Guardian's article on the situation is as good as any. Ellis played his fame for sexual favors, possibly even bargaining mentorship for sex, while deceiving partners into the status -- and number -- of his active sexual relationships. That at one point numbered over a dozen, simultaneously.

There's probably nothing illegal about any of that. People are allowed to be skeevy, manipulative jerks. But the industry, in turn, is allowed to declare that people revealed as skeevy,  manipulative jerks ought to have a harder time continuing to publish product.

Most of the testimonials reek of people who were going to experience the same thing with a man regardless of who he was. Some of the situations are pretty gross, but it would be foolish to pretend that most of those were anything special.

People are bred to attain power/privilege. That's the entire allure of applying personal talent.

So the complaints aren't about what Ellis did, but the fact he left them high and dry?  They wanted more Ellis so now he's bad because he didnt come through?

3 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

It should also be noted that the women involved also stressed that nothing illegal was done to them, so there's definitely nothing criminal to pursue, just hurt feelings and personal trauma, which is arguably much worse. 

What's the argument for how hurt feelings are worse than rape?

51 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Most of the testimonials reek of people who were going to experience the same thing with a man regardless of who he was.

Not sure where I can get the numbers on this, but most women, who get involved with adult men do not get caught up in relationships where the man has a revolving door of 12 other relationships at once.

Some of the situations are pretty gross, but it would be foolish to pretend that most of those were anything special.

Yeah we get it, you're so above it all.

People are bred to attain power/privilege. That's the entire allure of applying personal talent.

To use it to take advantage of people for sex? That's the allure of applying personal talent?

2 hours ago, Prince Namor said:
3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I hate to break it to you, but respect is nearly non-existent when it comes to love/sex affairs.

Maybe in YOUR case, but there are plenty of people who do. This is one of the most absurd things you've ever stated on here.

You need to get out more. lol Not sure that makes his Top Ten.

3 hours ago, K.P.D. said:

Yeah, iirc you're a "if it's not published by Fantagraphics I won't read it" type of guy? Indys only, eff the mainstream, Comics Journal kind of guy?

More like if it’s published by anybody internationally at any point between 1900 and yesterday but doesn’t feature musclemen in leotards with corporate logos on their chests dry humping each other for 22 ad riddled pages I’ll give it a try 

I’ve read From a hell, V for Vendetta, some of We3, and the first issue of Transmetropolitan. Out of all those From Hell was the best but not good enough to land Moore on my list of writers I’d follow. Really not a fan of most early Vertigo stuff. Mid to late Vertigo had some good stuff. I was really into the short lived Vertigo Crime imprint 

51 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

What I can’t figure out is why when a comic book writer uses the slimmest of “coolness” to get sex people want him burned alive

It wasn't 'to get sex' that bothered people. If he would've had 4 bad relationships over 12 years, no one would've much batted an eye. 

62 women, with as many as 12 at a time, using the same manipulative techniques to pull them in and drop them when it became inconvenient.... well, that's just extreme...

and every rock star ever gets a pass.

'Rock Stars' are not comic book writers. They generally have women throwing themselves at them - it's one night in town - the parameters of things are pretty well in place. And the 'Rock Stars' or musicians who DO act out get in plenty of trouble too: see: Chuck Berry, Marilyn Manson, R. Kelly, etc.

No one would have been interested with him if he worked at the deli at Kroger. 

They would if he was with 62 women, with as many as 12 at a time, using the same manipulative techniques to pull them in and drop them when it became inconvenient. 

13 minutes ago, Prince Namor said:

It wasn't 'to get sex' that bothered people. If he would've had 4 bad relationships over 12 years, no one would've much batted an eye. 

62 women, with as many as 12 at a time, using the same manipulative techniques to pull them in and drop them when it became inconvenient.... well, that's just extreme...

'Rock Stars' are not comic book writers. They generally have women throwing themselves at them - it's one night in town - the parameters of things are pretty well in place. And the 'Rock Stars' or musicians who DO act out get in plenty of trouble too: see: Chuck Berry, Marilyn Manson, R. Kelly, etc.

They would if he was with 62 women, with as many as 12 at a time, using the same manipulative techniques to pull them in and drop them when it became inconvenient. 

He should just do his own creator owned comics on Kickstarter. I imagine he has enough of a following to make a living. Unless he gets prosecuted for his crimes and is jail.