• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scuff marks in slabs?
3 3

9 posts in this topic

What are these?  And can anything be done.  I have had 9 books returned to me from CGC and they all have these marks.  Looks like the are on the inside but it really does take away from the eye appeal of the book.  Is this normal?

20210625_175256.thumb.jpg.d10e3563b7ab0a6bec4201cd0a1e5c53.jpg

20210625_175319.thumb.jpg.c22d912963c1069bafb07cbee49e134a.jpg

I don't recall ever hearing exactly what , where, and who causes these. It seems like, because they are so common, not to mention the fact that we are paying for this service, we could/should get a detailed explanation.

4 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I don't recall ever hearing exactly what , where, and who causes these. It seems like, because they are so common, not to mention the fact that we are paying for this service, we could/should get a detailed explanation.

According to CGC, they're acceptable Gaard. This below, in reply to a similar question raised over in the 'Ask CGC' forum:

On 6/17/2021 at 2:04 PM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. We work closely with our manufacturer to ensure that we receive only the highest quality holders, and we take great care to protect these holders during our grading process. The significant size and extreme clarity of these holders, however, makes it virtually impossible to prevent small scratches and scuffs that may occur during careful handling and in transit. As a result, minor scratches and scuffs that do not distract from the encapsulated book are considered to be acceptable.

If you feel that the scuffs you are seeing fall outside of this acceptable range, please email a few pictures to our office and we can review and advise you on how to proceed.  You can email us at: submissions@cgccomics.com.

Thank you!

There was no response to the follow up questions.

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

According to CGC, they're acceptable Gaard. This below, in reply to a similar question raised over in the 'Ask CGC' forum:

There was no response to the follow up questions.

That response from @Jennifer F. sure raises more questions that it answers. In fact, I don't think it answered any questions. But I'm not sure if all the vagueness and silence is par for how a company should respond. Maybe I'm being a little naive, but I don't believe dishonesty should ever enter into a business's modus operandi.

30 minutes ago, Gaard said:

That response from @Jennifer F. sure raises more questions that it answers. In fact, I don't think it answered any questions. But I'm not sure if all the vagueness and silence is par for how a company should respond. Maybe I'm being a little naive, but I don't believe dishonesty should ever enter into a business's modus operandi.

You're not being naive. It's the second attempt I've seen by CGC to 'normalise' production problems in an attempt to protect their business, and themselves, from valid complaints. First Newton Rings are 'normal and acceptable' and now case scuffs. It is not their call to say what a paying customer may or may not find acceptable. Car dealers don't tell customers that scratches on new cars are to be expected and, therefore, 'acceptable'. It's a very poor tactic in my opinion, and should be beneath them.  I'm sure Jennifer is just the messenger, however.