• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This sux, but I've really no one to blame but me.

11 posts in this topic

About ten years ago, maybe more, I bought a nice lot of Tales of Suspense from a board member who was also a dealer. I forget the details but it was a low grade/ mid grade run from 50-99. I recall him mentioning they had been part of a bigger deal and how he normally didn't deal with low grade stuff so he offered them at a great price. A couple years back, I sold the 50, 57, 58 and 63 thru  consignment and they all received a clean bill of health and I recouped most of my investment.

The 52 was a real beater, I was thinking it might score a 1.8-2.5 and the time to sell seemed now so I sent it out, but it came back as a 0.5, with a page missing. 

It was still a good deal, and I'm sure the seller didn't know it as he wanted to just dump the whole lot and #52 wasn't nearly as big back then.  I was curious what it would sell for in low grade but where I was hoping for $600 or more, now it is a $100-$150 book. 

Feel free to post your own tales of woe and injustice from our hobby.

No tales of woe, just wanted to give commiserations, Shad. 

Very early on in my collecting of SA days I bought an ASM 2 that was sold as a VG copy thru eBay raw and I didn’t know as much as I do now - like counting pages particularly when dealing with SA. Anyways took it to a con, had Stan sign it and got it CGC witnessed. Came back as a 0.5 with an ad page missing. Initially was pretty upset but then figured I wasn’t selling it anyways so it is what it is. I still have the book roughly 15 years after I bought it. Even paying a VG price 15 years ago, I could sell it today for a decent profit as a 0.5 CGC SS, but that’s less of a point as just learning a valuable lesson in general - count pages. 

I've had multiple cases where I bought raw books at shows only to later find out that they had either missing pages, detached covers, missing coupons, etc. In cases like this I do blame the dealers for being hopefully lazy or possibly devious. At a con when I'm buying a lot of books I'm not going to get out every book I buy (some tables don't even want you to open any bags ) so I'm putting my trust in the dealers, but it can and has backfired. 

3 minutes ago, K.P.D. said:

You don't count the pages before you submit a book?

Generally, no.  I try to count pages of books as they come in, but when I buy large collections, I don't count every book. 

I've got a book coming back in my latest submission where I missed a clipped coupon. Arrgh! Life is busy and when it comes time to submit books it's easy to think, oh yeah I checked that one when it came in, even if you didn't. We're human and mistakes happen.

great resources like GCD and Kelter have really helped me out over the last couple of decades on page count questions; lots of the information they provide just wasn't  availble before then, especially on weird series where the page count jumped around. 

Edited by fett

The opposite. With prices jumping (across the board it would seem based on how some are pricing their stuff) I contacted a seller here recently at the tail end of a marketplace listing. Looking for some bronze-age readers as the kids are out of school and I'm putting out all the stops to get them off the screens. Glad the seller didn't even respond to my PM's because I ended-up buying a lot of 15 comics (a number of which were listed in the sales thread) for what was being asked for a single book plus shipping.

Edited by comicwiz

When I was first getting into GA, I ordered a Vg/F Marvel Family 1 from a shop in Minnesota.  Repro cover, complete with fake arrival date pencilled in.  Found out much later when I took it out to show someone.  Not too salty about it, the price now makes up for it.

8 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

When I was first getting into GA, I ordered a Vg/F Marvel Family 1 from a shop in Minnesota.  Repro cover, complete with fake arrival date pencilled in.  Found out much later when I took it out to show someone.  Not too salty about it, the price now makes up for it.

Sorry for you about that, but you have to admire the attention to detail with the arrival date thing.