• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wavy book and affect on grading? ASM 362
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Waviness tends to be part of production, but if you’re worried about a high grade…get it pressed.  🤙

Edited by Galen130

A lot of comics from that time had a visible waviness in the paper.  Very common in the mid / late 80s Flexographic period.

I recently submitted an Ultimate Spider-Man #33 (first Ultimate Venom) from the mid 2000s...it was produced with lower-quality paper and had some waviness, and for this reason it was graded 9.4 by CGC (I thought it would grade 9.8, or 9.6 at worst).

Shame on me for not keeping up with the current grading environment and assuming it wouldn't get dinged for a production defect... :facepalm:

17 minutes ago, silverseeker said:

I recently submitted an Ultimate Spider-Man #33 (first Ultimate Venom) from the mid 2000s...it was produced with lower-quality paper and had some waviness, and for this reason it was graded 9.4 by CGC (I thought it would grade 9.8, or 9.6 at worst).

Shame on me for not keeping up with the current grading environment and assuming it wouldn't get dinged for a production defect... :facepalm:

Did you have it pressed? 

I too have some similar books with thin paper that ruffled....

Venom alpha and venom omega inc..... I had one sketched and signed it came back 9.4 

I always thought about a press but didnt do it in the 1st place .... and now I've already paid to slab both lol

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Did you have it pressed? 

I too have some similar books with thin paper that ruffled....

Venom alpha and venom omega inc..... I had one sketched and signed it came back 9.4 

I always thought about a press but didnt do it in the 1st place .... and now I've already paid to slab both lol

I did not have it pressed because I thought CGC would not ding it for a "production" defect...

6 minutes ago, silverseeker said:

I did not have it pressed because I thought CGC would not ding it for a "production" defect...

Same here lol

Funny that

I mean the paper was kind of thin that I never handled it with my bare hands

In turn, the ultimate spidey's I have were already slabbed 9.8's have the the first ultimate moonknight #79, I could go on lol

I just know it was possible somehow to get 9.8

Edited by ADAMANTIUM