• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The New Owners of CGC
8 8

216 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You know, I have to wonder how much of the Promise Collection grades were a part of or influenced by the buyout of CGC.

We made it to page 10 without the speculation.  

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

You know, I have to wonder how much of the Promise Collection grades were a part of or influenced by the buyout of CGC.

I prefer to think of it as a mating ritual between suitor and bride. That said, no one put a gun to my head and made me bid. I was happy for the opportunity 

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

I don't know, but I've been collecting slabbed GA books since the middle of 2000, and I have never seen slabbed books that were as over-graded as the books in the Promise Collection. And many collectors, including board members, were paying record prices for 9.6's that should have been 8.0's, 7.0's that should have been 5.5's, etc. I've never seen anything like it. It's like seasoned collectors lost all sense.

I collected raw GA books for many years before I got into slabbed books. The grades on the Promise Collection books wouldn't even have been tolerated back in the 80s when dealers' grades were all over the place.

6 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I prefer to think of it as a mating ritual between suitor and bride. That said, no one put a gun to my head and made me bid. I was happy for the opportunity 

Did you stick to bidding on books that you thought were graded accurately, or did you also bid on some books that you thought were over-graded?

1 minute ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't know, but I've been collecting slabbed GA books since the middle of 2000, and I have never seen slabbed books that were as over-graded as the books in the Promise Collection. And many collectors, including board members, were paying record prices for 9.6's that should have been 8.0's, 7.0's that should have been 5.5's, etc. I've never seen anything like it. It's like seasoned collectors lost all sense.

I collected raw GA books for many years before I got into slabbed books. The grades on the Promise Collection books wouldn't even have been tolerated back in the 80s when dealers' grades were all over the place.

It's going to be interesting to see how these "over-graded" books fare in a decade or two.  The one thing the slabs reduce or eliminate is the argument over whether a book is NM, NM-, or VFNM although collectors still look for white pages, good centering, etc.  Will collectors view a Promise Collection book that has a 9.6 on it as something they will pay 9.6 prices for in 2040?  Or will the Collection get a reputation for over-grading that causes collectors to be unwilling to?

1 minute ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I would venture to say this. When CGC was created as a company, it was created with the best of intentions back then, obviously as a business, but the purpose was basically to protect the collector and give the hobby some sort of level playing field as regards grading.

Now the company has turned into Godzilla, I not sure that is still the primary objective anymore, or even the mandate frankly.

All together I believe we have a real turning point now. It's quite worrying, and it's not promising...(pun not intended).

36 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

My comment was in no means a criticism of anyone's purchases. We buy what we love, and quite frankly, if and when it comes time to sell the number in the top left and the Promise Ped designation will carry much more weight than the actual book inside for most buyers.

We all own over and undergraded books and I've never looked at my own personal books with an eye towards how well it was graded as I only bought what i was happy to own....and many books I was glad to own because I'd have a tough time owning another copy.

Speaking as a dealer now, who submits 1000's of books every year and I see 10,000's of books every year and whenever I see books in holder I can't help but compare them to my own submissions.

50 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
2 hours ago, buttock said:

We made it to page 10 without the speculation.  

Some how I feel gay frogs and 5G are involved but just can’t quite connect the dots yet.

You forgot astrology and vaccines. :devil:

But seriously, I understand that correlation is not causation but it was just a thought because it seemed to be two outlier points crossing over at the same point in time.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Some how I feel gay frogs and 5G are involved but just can’t quite connect the dots yet.

Gay Frogs and 5G sounds like an band name from the 70s.

Edited by D84

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

My comment was in no means a criticism of anyone's purchases. We buy what we love, and quite frankly, if and when it comes time to sell the number in the top left and the Promise Ped designation will carry much more weight than the actual book inside for most buyers.

I didn’t at all interpret what you said as critical. We’re all just shooting the breeze about the hobby we love

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I like the book. 

Haha! I always overpay when I want something because the key really is, I don't want anyone else to have it. :devil:

7 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Haha! I always overpay when I want something because the key really is, I don't want anyone else to have it. :devil:

There are more comic books out there than I could ever buy, so if a book is overpriced as a buy-it-now, then I have no problem passing it by. I do occasionally get carried away while bidding in auctions—which usually results in my being severely depressed for weeks if not months.

Edited by jimbo_7071

12 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Were I to try to adopt the attitude that dust shadows and bindery defects don’t matter, I would have to drink the kool-aid. I don’t like kool-aid.

I bought a book that was probably overgraded, but I’ve never seen it in this condition in 20 years of looking. So I answered the bell. 

I could maybe have left a few more bucks for my heirs by leaving it alone, but hey, that’s their problem.

I like the book. 

How dare you buy something you want & enjoy it.  Don't you know you're supposed to be a sideline critic here?

1 hour ago, buttock said:

How dare you buy something you want & enjoy it.  Don't you know you're supposed to be a sideline critic here?

fun?  enjoyment?   some of you really need to get the priorities straight! 

Edited by Straw-Man