• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this?

9 posts in this topic

Bought this comic on ebay and upon further inspection I noticed what looks like a blue spot on the cover.  Not sure if this is something that occured during printing or man made. (blue marker)  It's a really clean book that I was hoping to have graded, but now I'm not so sure.  Thanks.

BTW I checked other books online and haven't been able to find one with the same mark.

002.JPG

003.JPG

Edited by frisbee

Is this something that would affect the grade?  I have had books receive a lower grade due to "color rubbing" and while this isn't the same I do feel like it's in the same ballpark.  Thanks.

32 minutes ago, frisbee said:

Is this something that would affect the grade?  I have had books receive a lower grade due to "color rubbing" and while this isn't the same I do feel like it's in the same ballpark.  Thanks.

"Color rub" happens after the book has been printed/assembled.  The printing blob would be considered a minor manufacturing issue and likely would not affect the grade.  

1 hour ago, frisbee said:

Bought this comic on ebay and upon further inspection I noticed what looks like a blue spot on the cover.  Not sure if this is something that occured during printing or man made. (blue marker)  It's a really clean book that I was hoping to have graded, but now I'm not so sure.  Thanks.

BTW I checked other books online and haven't been able to find one with the same mark.

002.JPG

003.JPG

Avengers 257 right? I have a copy somewhere, I'll try to find it and see if mine has any similar spots. But like others said it definitely looks like a printing defect.

Yeah, Avengers #257.  I got a nice copy here, but that small blue spot on the cover really bugs me.  Not sure if I should return the book to the seller and find another copy or just roll the dice and have the book graded.  Hmm...

Thank you everybody for the replies.  :)

On 7/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, frisbee said:

Yeah, Avengers #257.  I got a nice copy here, but that small blue spot on the cover really bugs me.  Not sure if I should return the book to the seller and find another copy or just roll the dice and have the book graded.  Hmm...

If that's the only flaw, you did very well...  

On 7/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, frisbee said:

i'd roll the dice, seems like a manufacturing error that would only mean this can't be a 9.9

I checked my copy and it doesn't have it. Not that it means anything. If it was a spray from the printer as was already suggested, it would be random and it would make perfect sense that the spot would not be on multiple copies.