• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting one and only one title
4 4

76 posts in this topic

ive finished star trek gold key, and have maybe a handfull left before twilight zone gold key is finished. im now going to work on GL V2, #30 to the final issue as a raw run, the early books are in tpb form.  im a green lantern nut, ive got the full runs of volumes 3,4,5 and 6 and some other various GL titles in only 4 short boxes! that will keep me busy for a few years.  i just sent out daredevil 15-30 and green lantern (vol 2) 20-30 to be graded so that comepletes 1-30DD and sc22-gl30 for GL.  im two books shy of a complete superman cover action comics run of 15-40 (23 and 26 sadly) and im 6 books into my golden age GL run of 1-15.   i will finish the full GL golden age 1-38 before i retire :) thats not really one title, but a couple of complete runs  ive put together over the years 🤷🏼‍♂️

Man, those old books like ASM 1-100...i will NEVER be able to afford them.

I was able to put together ASM 280 - 400 recently but only because I already had a complete McFarlane run from my childhood collecting days.

Same with X-Men. I was able to get 170 -300 done but now I'm broke.

I'm thinking about selling Spawn 1-100 and pumping that money into ASM 200 -279.

On 7/26/2021 at 10:40 AM, Hairless Wookiee said:

I just completed my run of Wolverine vol. 2 and vol. 3. I've been slowly working on Uncanny X-men. I have 108-330 and am trying to work backwards from 107-94 but those are so expensive. 

And then also you have to determine if you're going to try to get the price variants of that run too, at least that's where I am at. And if you go for the variant do you get the regular as well lol

On 7/26/2021 at 4:23 PM, lostboys said:

Man, those old books like ASM 1-100...i will NEVER be able to afford them.

I was able to put together ASM 280 - 400 recently but only because I already had a complete McFarlane run from my childhood collecting days.

Same with X-Men. I was able to get 170 -300 done but now I'm broke.

I'm thinking about selling Spawn 1-100 and pumping that money into ASM 200 -279.

With the first 100 issues of ASM a lot depends on what grade you’re buying into. Strictly for financial reasons I’m buying raw copies around the 4-6 grade so it’s not too bad. 

yes the early keys are way expensive but bargain hunting is fun. 
ive completed run from 200-375 and I’m 26% ( to be exact ) done on 1-100. 

On 7/3/2021 at 1:00 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I do. I wish I'd kept 1-200, the inserts, error copies and the promos. They would be impossible to gather again now.

Be mindful, if you ever get close to completing your collecting goal, the enthusiasm may take a dip and your thoughts may turn to selling. It seems to be a natural cycle for some collectors, as their minds turn to new challenges. Take care that you don't go mad if that happens to you and you don't sell the stuff that enchanted you in the first place. Keep the best, then find a new challenge would be my advice - if it happens to you.

One cure for that is to be reminded of  or introduced to price variants, foreign variants, promo variants, whitman & newsstand variants all in the highest grade you can afford all working your way towards being a completionist masochist and you'll never run out of your goal.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:17 PM, justafan said:

One cure for that is to be reminded of  or introduced to price variants, foreign variants, promo variants, whitman & newsstand variants all in the highest grade you can afford all working your way towards being a completionist masochist and you'll never run out of your goal.

I start tomorrow!

On 7/3/2021 at 2:21 PM, waaaghboss said:

Honestly if I were to collect asm, 375 is where I'd cut off as well.  The title got really bad past that point. 

A TON of collectors jumped off around there or ASM 400 in the 1990's and never came back to the hobby.  A bunch came back in the early 2000's when the first Spider-Man movie came out.  A bunch more came back over the next 15 years but then got fatigued after ASM 500, drained by ASM 666 store variants, and of course the notorious OMD arc.  Id say a good portion of those and the stalwarts called it quits after 700 & 800.  But Marvel's still selling ASM so there's likely a bunch of collectors still picking up moderns.  I suspect most of those still in the game are waiting for ASM 1000 and all it's insane variants to end their run if Marvel hasn't rebooted and renumbered the title by then.

On 7/26/2021 at 12:36 PM, justafan said:

Just in case you are ever to complete your single title, is there a title whose issues typically sell in dollar bins but has lots of high grade copies, has over 300 issues and is still ongoing?  Asking for a friend...

Legion of Super-Heroes?  Assuming it’s somewhere in the slow post- Future State relaunch queue…