• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #3 New York City Comic Con Cover Variant (1985)
5 5

27 posts in this topic

Hello 

I am hoping for any suggestions as to a possible grade for this gem. It was bagged and boarded on the day of the convention in 1985 by the original owner and has been kept that way since I purchased it from the original owner 20 years ago. It is unread. Any suggestions as to possible grades will be very gratefully received and will help me to determine whether or not I should get this slabbed. If it is worth it? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3679.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3683.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3689.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg

2 minutes ago, Finhead said:

Yeah looks like a 9.4-9.6 from the pics. IMO unless you plan to sell why slab it? If you intend to sell these then yes 100% get them slabbed.

For preservation I guess. Maybe I would sell eventually though I have no idea what to sell it for. I purchased these when they were cheap. Now they’re a bit more valuable 

5 minutes ago, Finhead said:

Yeah looks like a 9.4-9.6 from the pics. IMO unless you plan to sell why slab it? If you intend to sell these then yes 100% get them slabbed.

What can you see that stops it from being a 9.8 or 9.9?

42 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

For preservation I guess. Maybe I would sell eventually though I have no idea what to sell it for. I purchased these when they were cheap. Now they’re a bit more valuable 

It's 36 years old now, stored in a poly bag and board? Store it in a mylar with a acid free board and a few pieces of micro chamber paper and you can't really store it any better IMO. 

40 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

What can you see that stops it from being a 9.8 or 9.9?

I'm just throwing out a guess based on the small ish pics posted. Can't really see all the corners the best etc. If you can't see any flaws and has no color breaks at all no corner blunting and zero stains at all could be a 9.8 (shrug) You'd really have to make the call on that having it in hand.

7 minutes ago, Finhead said:

It's 36 years old now, stored in a poly bag and board? Store it in a mylar with a acid free board and a few pieces of micro chamber paper and you can't really store it any better IMO. 

I'm just throwing out a guess based on the small ish pics posted. Can't really see all the corners the best etc. If you can't see any flaws and has no color breaks at all no corner blunting and zero stains at all could be a 9.8 (shrug) You'd really have to make the call on that having it in hand.

Thanks that’s very helpful. I literally pulled out my box of comics a couple months ago and am now learning all about CGC and grading for the first time. I’m learning a lot here so thanks

24 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Are those actual signatures inside the front cover?  I haven't seen inside the cover before...(shrug)

Yes. They were signed at the New York convention in 1985. The original owner bagged it on the day and stored the comic in a tornado proof Mylar until I acquired it from them around twenty years ago (20 years ago, sigh!)

7 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

Yes. They were signed at the New York convention in 1985. The original owner bagged it on the day and stored the comic in a tornado proof Mylar until I acquired it from them around twenty years ago (20 years ago, sigh!)

I see a slight bend to the book when looking at it from the edge...a press will flatten this to a 9.8.  IMO.

With the signatures, this one would most likely end up with a green 'Qualified' label.  Green labels don't always sell well, if that's your intent, unless it's a particularly desirable book.  This one might have potential, more so if the signatures were on the outside.  Personally, I would clean/press/grade and add to my personal collection.  I honestly don't know how this copy would be value-wise based on the Con variant and the signatures. (shrug)

Remember, none of us chickens here are experts @Deadpoolica @Funnybooks, so decide as you see fit.  It's your book. (thumbsu

Amateur.png

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

I see a slight bend to the book when looking at it from the edge...a press will flatten this to a 9.8.  IMO.

With the signatures, this one would most likely end up with a green 'Qualified' label.  Green labels don't always sell well, if that's your intent, unless it's a particularly desirable book.  This one might have potential, more so if the signatures were on the outside.  Personally, I would clean/press/grade and add to my personal collection.  I honestly don't know how this copy would be value-wise based on the Con variant and the signatures. (shrug)

Remember, none of us chickens here are experts @Deadpoolica @Funnybooks, so decide as you see fit.  It's your book. (thumbsu

Amateur.png

No if the signatures were on the outside then you "might" get a green, being on the inside they just note the signatures. You'd have to go to CBCS to get verified sig

Amateur.png

Thanks for the great insight. I think the comic is flat but was sitting on an uneven surface when I took the photo. It lays flat inside it’s Mylar case. I’ll definitely remember your advice if I get it slabbed. From my research it looks like the signed inside ones are somewhat desirable to collectors but I’m learning fast that there is no rhyme or reason to these things! I’m just very happy to have this one. Thanks again for your time @Galen130

1 minute ago, Finhead said:

No if the signatures were on the outside then you "might" get a green, being on the inside they just note the signatures. You'd have to go to CBCS to get verified sig

Hence the operative word 'might'.  I personally own a slab with sigs on the inside...they tagged it green.  Never bothered to send it back, just rolled with it. (shrug)  No one knows what CGC will do these days....just a thought for the OP when submitting. (thumbsu

4 minutes ago, Finhead said:

Understood thank you

Hence the operative word 'might'.  I personally own a slab with sigs on the inside...they tagged it green.  Never bothered to send it back, just rolled with it. (shrug)  No one knows what CGC will do these days....just a thought for the OP when submitting. (thumbsuSe

Just now, sorrenmj said:

Hence the operative word 'might'.  I personally own a slab with sigs on the inside...they tagged it green.  Never bothered to send it back, just rolled with it. (shrug)  No one knows what CGC will do these days....just a thought for the OP when submitting. (thumbsuSe

No rhyme or reason right!

2 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Beauty

Appears 9.8 from this vantage point. Blue label with notation of sig on the label

That’s incredible. It don’t get better for a comic like this does it?!

22 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

That’s incredible. It don’t get better for a comic like this does it?!

Please keep in mind that grading is subjective and that "we" only have the benefit of pics and without the book in hand, even with the book in hand, we are only guessing. If you were to be able to provide better pics, the guesses could me more assured but still only guesses. The corners appear very sharp. The spine appears tick free on both the front and back covers. It's safe to say the book is minimally in the nm/nm+ range as suggested by Finhead and Galen earlier.

18 hours ago, Finhead said: