• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open it up... or keep it sealed..

9 posts in this topic

Im not sure what to do so Im just weighing out my options. I picked up a really nice Static #1 sealed with the poster and trading card. It feels really solid but you cant tell what the spine is like because the bag is opaque. Im leaning towards getting it graded because i feel like it could get a high grade but I wont really know until I open it up and potentially loose out on the value of having it sealed.

What you you do?

2 hours ago, Calm-Mix said:

Im not sure what to do so Im just weighing out my options. I picked up a really nice Static #1 sealed with the poster and trading card. It feels really solid but you cant tell what the spine is like because the bag is opaque. Im leaning towards getting it graded because i feel like it could get a high grade but I wont really know until I open it up and potentially loose out on the value of having it sealed.

What you you do?

I havent heard of any value from keeping it sealed. At least opening it lets you know what you have so you can know what your next move is.

47 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I havent heard of any value from keeping it sealed.

Then you're not paying attention to ebay sold results

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=static+1+sealed&_sacat=63&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Sure, it's not a huge amount but when you figure in the amount of time to get anything back from CGC and the uncertainty of knowing how it will grade without opening the bag, it's not a bad thing at all to throw it up on ebay still bagged. 

I’ve seen suckers buy polybagged copies of this and others like that first Midnight Sons…they pay crazy money assuming the book will be 9.6-9.8 but in reality, it could easily be a 9.2-9.4 and they would have been better off buying a copy graded at that than wasting their money on a “what if” that’s still bagged 

Plus there are people who will try to say the poly bag could destroy the book inside over time or cause some sort of wear or damage. Dunno if it’s true or not…never seen it happen so until I do I will say as a collector, decide what you prefer. I have some stuff in bags because the bag is kinda cool (that black bag death of Superman for example, and some I removed because the bag does nothing for me