• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's REBEL MOON PART ONE: A CHILD OF FIRE direct by Zack Snyder (2023)
4 4

241 posts in this topic

Zack Snyder has gone from zombie apocalypses and ancient Greece to nightmares and Metropolis. Now the filmmaker is heading into far away galaxies.

Snyder has set his next project, an epic sci-fi fantasy titled Rebel Moon that he is co-writing and will direct and produce for Netflix, the home of his most recent hit, Army of the Dead. And it re-teams the filmmaker with many of the creative colleagues of his past original ventures.

Snyder is co-writing the --script with Army co-screenwriter Shay Hatten and Kurt Johnstad, who co-wrote 300, Snyder’s stylish sword-and-sandal flick adapting the Frank Miller comic. Snyder and Johnstad will receive story by credit.

The story is set in motion when a peaceful colony on the edge of the galaxy is threatened by the armies of a tyrannical regent named Balisarius. Desperate people dispatch a young woman with a mysterious past to seek out warriors from neighboring planets to help them make a stand.

“This is me growing up as an Akira Kurosawa fan, a Star Wars fan,” Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter. “It’s my love of sci-fi and a giant adventure. My hope is that this also becomes a massive IP and a universe that can be built out.”

Rebel finds the germs of its origins in a Star Wars pitch the filmmaker had developed a decade ago. It was a more mature take on the universe created by George Lucas and didn’t move beyond any meaningful conversations after the Walt Disney Company acquired LucasFilm in 2012. At one point, he and Newman, who was behind Narcos and Narcos Mexico, even went down the path of making it a series.

But it was as a feature that he felt its true potential lay. He began reworking the idea with Johnstad and dove in at the same time as he began making Army of the Dead, bringing in that movie’s co-scribe, Hatten. The latter, at 27, had quietly become an in-demand franchise writer, deepening the world of John Wick for Lionsgate by working on the third and upcoming fourth and fifth installments.

“I’ve spent the last two or three years building out this universe. Every corner has to be painted in. I’ve been doing designs, constantly drawing and really cultivating its fertile ground to make this world fully realized.”

Army was viewed by 72 million people in its first four weeks, according to Netflix, landing it in the streamer’s top 10 most watched movies. Even before its May 14 release, Snyder and Stone Quarry had a German-language prequel movie and an anime series in production, making Army not just an original property, but a franchise.

Rebel will be another IP and a hoped-for franchise for Netflix, which is building its arsenal in the age of streaming wars.

The feature will be Snyder’s next movie and the hope is to begin production in early 2022. “I’ve been working on this on the side for so long, it’s pretty far along,” he says.

Zack Snyder's upcoming Netflix movie Rebel Moon will feature scenes similar to those depicting Krypton in 2013's Man of Steel, except on a far larger scale.

During an interview on BroBible's Post-Credit Podcast, Snyder spoke about his plans for Rebel Moon and how he hopes that it will be a sci-fi epic of the biggest proportions.

In terms of its scale, the director compared elements of his upcoming sci-fi epic to those at the beginning of his previous work on Man of Steel. "The beginning of Man of Steel has some pretty big science fiction elements in it," says Snyder referring to scenes in the film depicting the violent destruction of the planet Krypton as it becomes obliterated in space.

"That's kind of what we're doing in Rebel Moon," the director continues shortly after. "But on the biggest steroids that I can give it. And frankly, what I'm really interested [in] with this movie is creating a romantic sci-fi film on a scale that is just frankly as big as you can make a movie and that's the thing that really makes me excited."

EXCLUSIVE: After signing his new overall deal with Netflix, Zack Snyder is moving fast to get that first film under the deal in front of cameras as sources tell Deadline he has set Sofia Boutella to star in Rebel Moon. Snyder is directing the film as well as co-writing it with Shay Hatten and Kurt Johnstad, which is based on a story by Snyder and Johnstad. Deborah Snyder, Wesley Coller and Snyder will produce for The Stone Quarry along with Eric Newman for Grand Electric.

Following the success of his first film with the streamer, Army of the Dead, Zack and Deborah Snyder’s The Stone Quarry signed a first look with the studio and soon after named this as Snyder’s next big feature. The 300 director has been meeting with talent for months for the lead role and recently cut it down to a small group of actresses, that included Boutella, to test for the part. Insiders say Boutella wowed Snyder and a decision came fast to make her the lead of the film.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:14 PM, Oddball said:

She was fun to watch in Kingsman. This movie sort of sounds like fan fiction on the largest scale. Hopefully not.

I liked her also in Star Trek: Beyond

It turns out she had some involvement in Zack Snyder's Justice League too. But the role was excluded by WB Studios. Which probably means it was another character they had earmarked for another project.

FDNlOqFXsAYheDF.thumb.jpg.960ccb60cbb6b8d68449172512fb1111.jpg

On 11/3/2021 at 12:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

I liked her also in Star Trek: Beyond

It turns out she had some involvement in Zack Snyder's Justice League too. But the role was excluded by WB Studios. Which probably means it was another character they had earmarked for another project.

FDNlOqFXsAYheDF.thumb.jpg.960ccb60cbb6b8d68449172512fb1111.jpg

Wow, didn’t know that was her as well in Beyond. 

On 12/14/2021 at 7:04 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Zack Snyder doing a Star Wars pastiche? Hell yes. 

But, he's co-writing it. He's only helped write 3 things that I am aware of:

• Sucker Punch, which is not good.
  • Wonder Woman, which he had minimal involvement, but was mostly great.
  • ZSJL's Knightmare Epilogue, which is also mostly great, but a small section within a franchise.

As the director, we know it will look good and be edited well, but I'm not too excited about him writing it.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 12/14/2021 at 8:01 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

But, he's co-writing it. He's only helped write 3 things that I am aware of:

• Sucker Punch, which is not good.
  • Wonder Woman, which he had minimal involvement, but was mostly great.
  • ZSJL's Knightmare Epilogue, which is also mostly great, but a small section within a franchise.

As the director, we know it will look good and be edited well, but I'm not too excited about him writing it.

saywhatagain.gif.d3e1aecd1089ba0595e8b125900ada50.gif

According to our sources:

• Sofia Boutella’s Rebel Moon character is named Kora and is described as daring, composed, and self-possessed. Kora struggles with her self-worth, she is on a mission for redemption and discovery after facing unimaginable trauma in her youth.
  • Balisarius, the tyrannical invader of Rebel Moon, is described as a fierce warrior, cunning manipulator, who alternates between charming and sadistic. From what we’ve heard Netflix is looking to cast a man in his late 30s of Spanish, Mediterranean, Latinx, or Middle Eastern descent to play this role.
  • Noble is described as charismatic, authoritative, and striking. He can be brutal to the point of cruelty. Netflix is looking to cast a what man in his 30s to take on this lead role.
  • Gunnar is described as good looking, serious, sincere, and reliable. Netflix is looking to cast a white man, possibly of UK, Northern European, or Scandinavian descent, in his 30s to take on this lead role.
  • Aris is described as a rookie soldier who still has some innocence in him which manifests in unexpected compassion despite the horrors he has seen. Netflix is looking to cast a South Asian man 18 years or older to play 16 for this supporting role.
  • Devin is described as a rookie soldier who is sensitive. He feels irreconcilably at odds with what his commanding officer want him to do.  Netflix is looking to cast a Middle Eastern man 18 years or older to play 16 for this supporting role.
  • Sam is described as a kind, compassionate, and hard-working farm girl. Although she isn’t worldly she shows kindness is welcoming new comers who arrive in her village. Netflix is looking to cast a Scandinavian or Northern European woman 18 years or older to play 16 for this supporting role.

• Harmada is described as lethal and ageless half-woman half-spider. She preys on vulnerable children as a twisted vengeance for the loss of her own. This role will include some prosthetics and fight training.