• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's REBEL MOON PART ONE: A CHILD OF FIRE direct by Zack Snyder (2023)
4 4

241 posts in this topic

Better than I expected for a Zack Snyder movie (JLA, 300, Watchmen :popcorn:). Borrows from every sci-fi fantasy movie (SW: Empire Strikes Back, rebooted Dune part 1, Furiosa, Akira, Star Wars: Rogue One, Starship Troopers, Iron Sky part 1, John Carter Warlord of Mars) we have seen and usually enjoyed the last 45 years.

Finished this last night. I had a good time watching Part One.

My favorite characters were Nemesis and Bloodaxe. Though the slow reveal mystery of Kora was interesting as well.

To say this borrowed from other Sci-Fi movies without reflecting on how so many borrowed from John Carter and Dune stories misses that point. And for the critics playing coy with 'It's about a young farmer on a distant world rebelling against the evil empire' - nice try in over-implying Star Wars robbery. Luke didn't serve as a soldier in that empire serving the royal family directly.

Looking forward to Part Two. But also learning much more about the lead characters.

Special mention - Snyder included Ray 'Darkseid' Porter as the slaver.

download.webp.36a9c6aa0b9a62472b683313dcec23ac.webp

Just finished watching Rebel Moon Part One. I will likely be in the minority here, but I thought it was the worst Snyder project I have ever watched. Granted, it was Netflix so I should have expected the weak visual effects/CGI, but usually Zack ties the story together much better. This was disjointed to say the least. It was average Netflix fare which is not a compliment. I was hoping for much better from Snyder.

And why do so many characters have a bad fake Scottish wannabe accent? 

Whoooo boy - that was bad. We didn't make it past the 45 minute mark. I love Zach Snyder, but that was one of the biggest stinkers I've ever seen.

I could not get past the constant formulaic setups on practically every scene. It was like someone said "Take EVERY COOL SCENE FROM EVERY COOL MOVIE AND PUT IT IN HERE AND MAKE IT COOL, IS THAT COOL? I THINK ITS COOL."

Nazi Germany costumes for officers (yawn). The premise that a galactic empire can travel across the stars, but needs to steal 20,000 bushels of food from one single community on a far away planet. Heavily riffing on Braveheart with the whole I'm-A-Bad-English-Soldier (who could barely speak in an understandable dialect) and- I'm-Going-to-Rape-You guards. Shooting a robot in a ham-handed attempt to show how much a "meanie" the guard is - and then, said robot lands in a pile of horse poo. Painfully endless exposition (with no visuals!) about the past and wasting the immense talent of Anthony Hopkins. The female "hero" conveniently dressed in a super sexy tanktop while all the other farm girls are in ankle-length dresses. And the scene where she is pulling the plowshare BY HERSELF :eyeroll:. The "Mysterious Bar Patron Joining the Quest" is either straight out of LOTR or my last D&D adventure. Ugh, I can pretty much go on on every scene in the movie - but at that point, I threw in the towel.

If Rebel Moon cost $166M to make, someone ended up with a really nice yacht. The acting, the CGI (other than the lasers) and the Renaissance Fair sets all look like it was shot on an iPhone for a couple hundred dollars. I don't think there is any possible way to have forced 166 million dollars into that movie.

2/10 (I give one point for the cool laser effects)

Kudos to anyone who enjoyed it. I normally can tolerate and suspend belief on anything SciFi - but for me, this was so bad, I wanted to punch Zach Snyder in the face for stealing 45 minutes of my life that would have been better spent staring at a wall, sticking my finger in my ear or pacing up and down my sidewalk.

Edited by Dr. Balls

Ok, I finally got to watch this last night.  I mostly enjoy ZS movies.  This one was ok, completely average film.  Nothing made me hate it or think it was a stinker, but then again on the flip side nothing made me love it and think it was OMG awesome!  I'll most likely catch part 2 just to see how it ends up, but I won't be counting down the days to release.