• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's REBEL MOON PART ONE: A CHILD OF FIRE direct by Zack Snyder (2023)
4 4

241 posts in this topic

I wanted to like this movie so much but felt that it was just too drawn out; I enjoyed the second half of it the the entire first hour of the movie was a struggle. I cannot imagine the directors cut will "fix" this like the Snyder cut of JL did, but I am willing to give it a shot.

I don't think the comics have any legs; at ebay prices preorders for CGC 9.8s are only between $70 & $90 depending on the variant.

On 1/12/2024 at 7:01 AM, DougC said:

I wanted to like this movie so much but felt that it was just too drawn out; I enjoyed the second half of it the the entire first hour of the movie was a struggle. I cannot imagine the directors cut will "fix" this like the Snyder cut of JL did, but I am willing to give it a shot.

I don't think the comics have any legs; at ebay prices preorders for CGC 9.8s are only between $70 & $90 depending on the variant.

Agree - I usually really like Snyder's movies.  This was messy montage of origin stories, weak plot, A deus ex machina galactic power screw driver and a big nap in the middle where I fell asleep. What a disappointment. 

On 1/10/2024 at 9:59 AM, Bosco685 said:

In 18 days Rebel Moon has experienced 74 million views. No wonder why Netflix is all in, supporting a director's cut and sequel along with merchandising and comic book spin-offs.

image.thumb.png.5369fd294def583689747834ab325277.png

image.thumb.png.40fbeb162428c18b62ecee21e42d2c23.png

image.thumb.png.c52ffff0800b2b0728b1f29381ed6e8b.png

image.thumb.png.ad70e31f75984a5373336f14830e912d.png

Now at over 78 million views on a movie (not an 8-episode series where people stretched out viewings).

:roflmao:

Another 65% drop from week 3, from 11.1 million views to 3.9 million worldwide - dropping it to # 8 and leaving it 3 places (and 15%) behind...ummm...

Tyler Perry's The Single Moms Club.

Meanwhile, this week's random # 1 Netflix movie is the Kevin Hart heist comedy Lift.

Which has scored 69.5 million views in its first 11 days.

That's significantly more than Rebel Moon's 57.9 million in its first 11 days - 

and without the benefit of the Christmas-New Year's holiday break.

• General Mention: "Zack Snyder said..."
  • Troll: "Let me share my Snyder hate!"
  • Specific Mention: "Zack Snyder benefitted Netflix by..."
  • Troll: " Let me share my Snyder hate!"

Healthy dialogue :shiftyeyes:

On 1/24/2024 at 5:17 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Meanwhile, this week's random # 1 Netflix movie is the Kevin Hart heist comedy Lift.

Which has scored 69.5 million views in its first 11 days.

That's significantly more than Rebel Moon's 57.9 million in its first 11 days - 

and without the benefit of the Christmas-New Year's holiday break.

It's the dead of winter with the wind chill below zero from a good part of the US.  Do you think people are out hiking through the snow?  Viewings go down in summer but right now it's pretty much what everyone is doing.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:59 AM, 1Cool said:

It's the dead of winter with the wind chill below zero from a good part of the US.  Do you think people are out hiking through the snow?  Viewings go down in summer but right now it's pretty much what everyone is doing.

You're not wrong. Lift arguably has gotten a little boost from being released during the winter vs. the summer.

But even with various snow storms and school closures, no way did people have more discretionary time over the last two weeks than they did over the December 23-Jan. 1 holiday corridor, prime vacation time not only in the U.S. but in much of the world.

Plus, Lift is just an average disposable Netflix film, one of the type they churn out every month that will be largely forgotten by next month.

With a $100 million budget, it's 66% cheaper than Rebel Moon, and it lacks the franchise expectations and investment, including planned multimedia tie-ins of books / comic books / podcast / animated show, etc. 

Yet, it's already outperforming Rebel Moon by a solid margin.

Good for Kevin Hart, I guess.

On 1/25/2024 at 6:38 AM, Gatsby77 said:

You're not wrong. Lift arguably has gotten a little boost from being released during the winter vs. the summer.

But even with various snow storms and school closures, no way did people have more discretionary time over the last two weeks than they did over the December 23-Jan. 1 holiday corridor, prime vacation time not only in the U.S. but in much of the world.

Plus, Lift is just an average disposable Netflix film, one of the type they churn out every month that will be largely forgotten by next month.

With a $100 million budget, it's 66% cheaper than Rebel Moon, and it lacks the franchise expectations and investment, including planned multimedia tie-ins of books / comic books / podcast / animated show, etc. 

Yet, it's already outperforming Rebel Moon by a solid margin.

Good for Kevin Hart, I guess.

My guess is the two parts of Rebel Moon will do about 66% more views then this flick which will make them about equal in value to Netflix.  I’ve not seen Lift yet but I’m sure I will eventually.  A Kevin Hart flick has a massive appeal to about every demographic out there where as a sci-fi flick has much less.  I’ll reiterate that I thought Rebel Moon was not great but it was decent and it will be considered far from a complete dud when it is all said and done.  Maybe part two will blow us all away?  

Edited by 1Cool

Netflix subscribers surge as revenue beats estimates

Netflix (NFLX) said Tuesday that its fourth quarter subscriber additions surged, topping its own forecast and sending its stock as much as 14% higher in early trading on Wednesday.

The subscriber additions of 13.12 million beat Netflix's own forecast of about 9 million with full-year 2023 net additions sitting at roughly 30 million. The company had added 7.67 million paying users in Q4 2022.

Revenue beat Wall Street estimates of $8.71 billion to hit $8.83 billion in the quarter, an increase of 12.5% compared to the same period last year, as the streamer leaned on revenue initiatives like its crackdown on password sharing and ad-supported tier, in addition to the recent price hikes on certain subscription plans.

What did Netflix attribute the growth to?

On 1/23/2024 at 6:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

image.thumb.png.4370c95d47f0c9d1a454cf59a3873b29.png

image.thumb.png.9273cd6873bc8bfd179c6e0a7fa9a40d.png

"But someone on a comic book forum that dislikes Zack Snyder said it failed miserably."

vVjyw.gif.2fc53c68be88de658d94317849eec62b.gif

Netflix filed that concern appropriately as it prepares to release the Director's Cut and sequel. Go figure!

On 1/25/2024 at 6:38 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I thought the $166 budget was for part one AND part two.  And I imagine Snyder is doing the extra edits under the same budget?

On 1/25/2024 at 7:41 AM, Bosco685 said:

Netflix filed that concern appropriately as it prepares to release the Director's Cut and sequel. Go figure!

It prepares to release them because it already paid for them?  The real test will be if they greenlight the sequels.  

I’ve tried to watch it twice and have not been able to get past the first 15 minutes.  It is, of course, visually stunning.  But seems to be empty calories so far.  Snyder has always seemed to be a wonderful person, an exceptional cinematographer, and a mediocre writer.  I’ll try it again at some point, but I have low expectations of making it through it.

On 1/25/2024 at 2:16 PM, thunsicker said:

It prepares to release them because it already paid for them?  The real test will be if they greenlight the sequels.  

I’ve tried to watch it twice and have not been able to get past the first 15 minutes.  It is, of course, visually stunning.  But seems to be empty calories so far.  Snyder has always seemed to be a wonderful person, an exceptional cinematographer, and a mediocre writer.  I’ll try it again at some point, but I have low expectations of making it through it.

What you are missing:

1) I would never imply this is one of his best works.

2) But I'm also not the clown posting repeatedly how the film failed miserably yet Netflix has signed on for a sequel, books, a comic book mini series, game, action figures, statues...

So if it is putting you to sleep, that's a personal like situation. Yet if someone is going to compare it to unlike things to convey their strong dislike of Zack Snyder, that's their mental disability to wrestle with.

Anything else?

Edited by Bosco685

image.png.144db443666ea576ca7066185d067573.png

“Rebel Moon” star Sofia Boutella told Vulture that it was hard to endure the critical beating the film took when it arrived on Netflix late last year. A passion project for writer-director Zack Snyder, “Rebel Moon” is a two-part space opera starring Boutella as a former soldier who recruits warriors to fight back against the evil Imperium when her farming colony is threatened. “Part One: A Child of Fire” earned pans and boasts a 21% on Rotten Tomatoes, while “Part Two: The Scargiver” is coming in April.

“I always thought that I was fully armed to take on those punches, and then I read the critics that came down on ‘Rebel Moon’ and it really affected me,” Boutella said about the extremely negative reviews. “I’m just gonna be honest about it. I feel like I’m carrying it for everybody that cared so much about this project, and that’s what affected me. Not the way I look. If anything, I’ve been pretty lucky and people like my work in it, but the movie was criticized.”

“It really affected me for all of those who put so much heart, tears, and sweat in this project,” she continued. “It’s hard to see something being demolished to that extent. I’m proud to have been part of it, and if there is no more ‘Rebel Moon,’ it will be a very important part of my life that I will defend forever.”

“The journey of Kora in ‘Rebel Moon’ — I think I found moments in scenes where I could bring vulnerability that wasn’t written,” Boutella told Vulture about her personal contributions to the film. “The beauty of working with Zack is that he allowed me to go there. I watch the film now, and I’m like, [Sighs.] ‘Did I do too much? Did I try to make a meal out of it?’ In movie No. 2, you find out something about her past that for me was fun to go through, but I did not know how to forgive the character. Like, how do you keep on living with yourself? … she carries a massive, massive guilt that needed to show.”

“Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver” is scheduled for release on April 19.

:roflmao:

Did she not read the project's "script?"

Also, you'd think she'd be happy with this one -- with a Rotten Tomatoes critics' score of 21% positive, it was a *lot* better received than "The Mummy" (just 15% positive).