• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA Sale; Mad, Pre-Code Crime & Atlas Horror, other EC, Spirit (Quality and Fiction House); <CLOSED>
5 5

122 posts in this topic

Piracy #3, 1955, Crandall cover. Looks pretty solid with no major issues to note. A small piece of tape on interior front, but I can't figure out why it's there. Complete and attached. However, there is tape on the interior length of the cover. I don't know why it's there, or how it got there because the cover is not split/detached. See the two spoiler pics for the faint yellowed line where the old tape sits (1st pic is back, 2nd pic is front upside down). Looks 4.5, but I am dropping the price because I am confused by this tape. 

Let's try $25 for this book that looks way better than that.  **SOLD**

Spoiler

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Edited by elibowman

Piracy #4, 1955, Crandall cover again. No confusion this time. This book is showing more wear, with a piece missing from the front right edge, and a couple minor tears to the back cover. Two small pieces of tap on the interior front, and they  were trying to stop the damage where the piece is missing. Back cover looks like a big tape pull, but it's actually paper that is stuck to the back somehow. See spoiler pic for a better view. Maybe 2.0. Flat, attached, complete.

$15   **FINAL PRICE $11**

image.jpg

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Edited by elibowman

M.D. #1, 1955, Craig cover. Bottom staple pulled through the cover with some damage, tape pulls through the logo, chipping bottom back edge. Complete, attached and pretty solid besides the staple pull. I think it's a 3.0

$38   **FINAL PRICE $30**

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by elibowman

M.D. #4, 1955, Craig cover again. Easily the best condition of these last several ECs. Flat, tight, complete, glossy. Some spine wear, and edge wear, but nothing major. There is a chip on the back that is still holding on, and a price written in pencil back there. Cool date stamp. I think it's a 5.0.

$45   **FINAL PRICE $33**

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by elibowman

Last EC, I think. Picture Stories From World History #2, 1947. Rough around the edges, and there are no staples present, but it's complete. All pages accounted for, but no staples. Some pencil under the EC logo, chip bottom spine back. As an added bonus, I will throw in an incomplete and coverless copy of the same book. Cover and 1st wrap gone, last page with huge tear but nothing missing from it. Not sure why you would need this except the staples ARE attached with this one, and maybe you want to practice your staple replacement skills?

$12  **FINAL PRICE $10**

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by elibowman

If you take the bundle on the Piracy and M.D. books, I will throw in the Picture Stories books too! That should really be the clincher for someone out there...

One more bundle...

If you want the three Piracy books, the two M.D. books, the Picture Stories books, AND the two remaining EC mags, let's do $200 shipped in the US.

Edited by elibowman

The Spirit #2, 1944, Quality Comics, Lou Fine throughout. Lower grade copy with a Bonnett's stamp. Some staining to front cover, edge wear, a couple cover creases (one is pretty long from the word "BOOK" at the top to nearly the bottom right corner), tearing at the staples, but still attached, complete. Boy, if that Page 25 image was the cover...Seems about 3.0 to me. Stealing from @Readcomix and saying "this is your compare to eBay moment". 

$80  **FINAL PRICE $65**

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by elibowman

The Spirit #6, 1946, Quality Comics, Lou Fine cover and some interior art. Foxing along the spine, "M" on cover, staple tears but attached, interior tears that are mostly in the margins, but a couple extend into the panels (there is a piece of margin or two missing but no art missing that I could find), bottom corner creases both front and back. Complete and attached, but probably 2.5 or 3.0 overall.

$60   **FINAL PRICE $45**

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by elibowman

The Spirit #10, 1947, Quality Comics, awesome Crandall cover that would be even better if it just had less monkey. This is the last of the Quality issues that I have, and easily the best condition. Flat, and great color with minimal surface wear. Dust shadow along the top front and also top and bottom on the back, tiny tear at the top of the spine, bit of spine roll, solid staples. Let's call it a 5.0.

$100  FINAL PRICE $78   **SOLD PER PM**

Spoiler

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Edited by elibowman

The Spirit #1, 1952, Fiction House. Complete and attached. Some waviness to the cover that probably was moisture, but no associated staining that I can find. There is a stain to the interior of front cover, but doesn't seem to be connected (see spoiler). Cool date stamp lower right corner (any Feb 15 birthdays out there?), chipping to both front and (especially) back, piece missing at top back spine, tape over both staples, but cover is still attached so looks preemptive. Lower grade, obviously. 3.0? Maybe 2.5? Still a very attractive copy. This cover has just the right amount of monkey, IMO.

$125  **FINAL PRICE $100**

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Edited by elibowman

The Spirit #4, 1953, Fiction House. This book is gorgeous...no qualifiers. Great bondage cover, with spectacular colors and gloss. Flat, tight, complete with a great spine. TINY bit of edge wear (see above "A.N.C.", bottom right corner, and right below The Spirit's hind end), spectacular pages. 13 on the census with three at 8.0 to top it. Feels like this has a shot to be in that range.

Now...there is one issue that bugs me. I believe it to be production, but cannot say for sure. It's a bit of a misrap/miscut cover (see bottom edge and the white along the spine). BUT, the back cover does not get to the edge of the pages. No evidence of trimming (razor sharp edge just like the rest of the book), but it's just short. Please review pics closely, as I am pricing this as if it's a production flaw. If you need additional pics or want to ask questions, feel free. One of the 8.0s sold last month for $1,320. Lots of pics in spoilers to try and be complete.

EDIT: for what it's worth, I found this completed eBay listing that looks to have an identical cut on the back cover. Seems to reinforce my belief that it's production. The Spirit #4 Pre-Code Golden Age Will Eisner Fiction House Comic 1953 VG- | eBay

EDIT 2: I am taking back my comments about potential production flaw with the back cover. The recent 8.0 sale was from Heritage. The identical back cover dynamic can clearly be seen here The Spirit #4 (Fiction House, 1953) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white | Lot #97097 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

So, not an issue with the condition or production of this particular book. That's how they all are, apparently. Yay!

Now that I have been back in this post, I hate how the spine edge looks on that back cover pic. I am going to add a couple more pics to show it better (see spoilers).

$950  **FINAL PRICE $800**

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Spoiler

image.jpg

Edited by elibowman
added link for similar looking copy

Last book for a while now...

Wow Comics #27, 1944, War Stamps cover. Lower grade copy with spine splitting (maybe chew? I looked at this closer, and don't believe it to be chew) in a couple places. Name written on cover, some staining, some edge wear. Still complete and readable and attached to its single staple. 2.0 to me due to the splits and the soiling. Hard to price this one for me...

$60  **NOW $48**  FINAL PRICE $40   **SOLD PER PM**

Spoiler

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by elibowman

I have a few more 50s crime books (at least a couple of those are after the code came in), and another random GA or two. Then we will see what happens. The collection I bought was a lot of Bronze Bats, so may throw some of those on here, or may wait for another thread. In the meantime, make me an offer if you think the prices are off base.

Police Against Crime #8, 1955, Premier Magazines. Low grad with tears at the staples, spine splits at the bottom and in the middle, tape pull, and other general wear. No better than 2.0. eBay listings seem high. 

$20  **FINAL PRICE $15**

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by elibowman