• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

marvel s.a. annuals/specials [and cousins]
1 1

257 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2022 at 11:50 AM, Frisco Larson said:

Since Spider-Man is my favorite character, Marvel Tales has always held a special meaning to me. It was there that I had my first Spidey comic! 

Marvel Tales 3 9.2 w Boston front.jpg

Marvel Tales 6 9.6 ow-w front mine.jpg

My first back issue through mail order was Marvel Tales 4, it was near mint and 50 cents, although grades weren't advertised as much back then, just "VG or better".... I learned to love Ditko AND Romita simultaneously back then, as between Marvel Tales and monthly ASM, both came out on the rack. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 8/17/2022 at 1:57 AM, jimjum12 said:

My first back issue through mail order was Marvel Tales 4, it was near mint and 50 cents, although grades weren't advertised as much back then.... I learned to love Ditko AND Romita simultaneously back then, as between Marvel Tales and monthly ASM, both came out on the rack. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

You were a bit before me in your first selection Jimbo, as mine was Marvel Tales 81 in the Bronze Age. My first newsstand purchases were 30c issues. I can't even imagine how awesome it was buying Spidey issues as they came out in the Silver Age!!! My favorite era in comics!

On 8/17/2022 at 9:18 AM, Frisco Larson said:

You were a bit before me in your first selection Jimbo, as mine was Marvel Tales 81 in the Bronze Age. My first newsstand purchases were 30c issues. I can't even imagine how awesome it was buying Spidey issues as they came out in the Silver Age!!! My favorite era in comics!

up until summer '64, i read archie, richie rich, little dot and the like.  i was 8.  then my across the street neighbor, bennie, moved in.  i saw his superhero comics, and over the next month i bought several of the marvel titles off the spinner, over various drug-store and vacation trips to stores.   here is the line-up for june '64, the month i started pulling them off the rack:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/newsstand.php?type=calendar&month=6&year=1964&publisher=all&sort=alpha&checklist=null&variantex=null&collectionex=null

i still have the asm ann. 1, mt 1 and p.t. 109 copies to this day!   i even bought the action and adventure that month; still recall them.

Edited by Straw-Man

On 8/17/2022 at 4:17 PM, Straw-Man said:

up until summer '64, i read archie, richie rich, little dot and the like.  i was 8.  then my across the street neighbor, bennie, moved in.  i saw his superhero comics, and over the next month i bought several of the marvel titles off the spinner, over various drug-store and vacation trips to stores.   here is the line-up for june '64, the month i started pulling them off the rack:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/newsstand.php?type=calendar&month=6&year=1964&publisher=all&sort=alpha&checklist=null&variantex=null&collectionex=null

i still have the asm ann. 1, mt 1 and p.t. 109 copies to this day!   i even bought the action and adventure that month; still recall them.

Yours is my favorite story of my personal friends Billy Boy!!! What a MARVELous time to be buying funny books!!! :applause:^^