• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

People are weird
1 1

36 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I had three related books on a website. I had hoped to sell them quickly and priced them at $50 each. In two weeks, I recieved eight offers for them, all between $39 and $46. I felt $50 was more than fair and rejected them all. Yesterday, I raised the price of the book to $65 each and woke up to five overnite offers of more than $50. I got $56, 55 and 53 for them. 

Im tempted to raise the prices on a few more slow sellers.

@Buzzetta

The difference between paying a fair price and getting a deal.  If the book looks priced fairly, everyone wants the deal.  If the book seems over-priced, then they might make a "fair" offer, but feel like they are getting a deal.

I'd take it a step further with ebay buyer. You're selling a sense of satisfaction. They want to walk away feeling like they got a good one over you, while you sit back comfortably knowing you came out well ahead of what you really would have sold your item for. They're smug, they're smart, they're bucking the market, they've got a good story to tell their friend about how they got one over one of those 'big nasty dealers you have to deal with all the time, keyboard covered in Doritos, a real piece of work' and they won, a modern David vs Goliath. 

Meanwhile they can say whatever they want, you brought in additional revenue for a book, and did it while leaving a customer satisfied. Day well done. 

36 minutes ago, kav said:

yes people want to feel like they are getting a deal.  Youre selling feelings.  Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Grade A organic grass fed steak has the best sizzle. It’s best if you sell both. Don’t sell inferior cuts of beef. (poorly described comics). 

1 minute ago, Murphman13 said:

Grade A organic grass fed steak has the best sizzle. It’s best if you sell both. Don’t sell inferior cuts of beef. (poorly described comics). 

Good cuts of beef are best however when you sell the sizzle you can sell a $30 steak for $100.

Yep, my books I’ve been selling on feebay lately that I did not run a best offer in sat forever even though they were the lowest BIN’s. As soon as I switched them to a higher price but with a best offer I started getting offers often larger than my original price lol. Although this is a bit of a double edged sword… because it meant I now have to deal with people messaging me things like “guide price for this book is $23” even though it was a slabbed 9.8 and regularly sells for 130-150… so that’s fun, but whatever I’d rather deal with those than to not sell. 

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

I had three related books on a website. I had hoped to sell them quickly and priced them at $50 each. In two weeks, I recieved eight offers for them, all between $39 and $46. I felt $50 was more than fair and rejected them all. Yesterday, I raised the price of the book to $65 each and woke up to five overnite offers of more than $50. I got $56, 55 and 53 for them. 

Im tempted to raise the prices on a few more slow sellers.

3 hours ago, kav said:

What Kav is referring to are screen shots I once shared with him that I did the same thing as a seller.

Better yet, I hope he is referring to the reverse where I made an offer to a seller for some Strange Adventures comics and he turned down the offer.  A day later I get an offer from the seller to buy the same comics for less than my original offer.  lol 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

A day later I get an offer from the seller to buy the same comics for less than my original offer.  lol 

He waked up and smelled the coffee.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

He waked up and smelled the coffee.

"Woke up" is more commonly used.  "Waked up" is awkward albeit correct. 

@ADAMANTIUM doesn't Kav needle you about things not being a sentence?

Edited by Buzzetta

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

A 60% off sale will help a store sell items pretty well, but a "Buy One Get One Free" sale will sell everything almost immediately.  People bees dumbs.

Humans as a group don't seem very smart. 

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/76144/why-no-one-wanted-aws-third-pound-burger