• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2003 Overstreet Price Guide in comic shops Wednesday...

58 posts in this topic

arnoldt, did you just say the overstreet book is coming out on time? Was it scheduled for Wednesday? Not trying to be cute, just curious. confused.gif

And, because you mentioned it, a couple years ago my shop kept telling me next week for sure, next week for sure, in two weeks for sure etc. etc. etc. That's why I'm being so cinical on the matter.

Nothing catastrophic this year as far as I can remember, we should be cool. Of course, this doesn't preclude a group of gibbons from breaking out of your nearby zoo and hijacking the truck of Guides as they head to your comic shop. But that hasn't happened in a few years, so it'll probably be OK.

grin.gif

One of the things that you guys who are remembering delays from a few years ago are forgetting is that now Diamond does their shipment packing almost a week in advance to make sure that stores get everything on time. They had the guides last week and were packing them to make sure that stores all across the US (no matter how many UPS delivery days away) all got them on Wednesday.

Plus with Diamond being the publisher and distributor now, distribution is much smoother than it used to be, there's no stopping the presses to get in that Hulk #181 sale or report that Heritage was finally able to sell the 9.4 Fantasy #15 that passed in December.

I hate to be a stickler, but Diamond is not the publisher. Gemstone Publishing Inc. is the publisher, and Diamond is a sister company and also the gracious distributor of our books. It may seem a slight distinction to some, but it's not.
Yea, but you're both owned and operated by the same guy and reside in the same building. My current company sounds a lot like yours; our boss owns three different companies with different staffs who all reside in the same office park. I'm finding that there's a much higher level of cooperation between companies in a smallish-to-mediumish multi-company environment like this.

Sounds like what ArnoldT is sayng is that from where HE and others sit at Diamond/Gemstone/etc sit, the lines of communication are weak. But as YOU say, the walls are pretty transparent from on high where Steve sits high above of ALL his subdivisions.

Not hard to imagine a synergy from as viewed from the top that might not be apparent in the (sorry Arnold) trenches below. Forest-for-the-trees-wise, that is.

Random House handles our bookstore distribution, and that "publisher" thing you mentioned might be referring to them. From a regular bookstore's perspective, Random House is the "publisher" even though technically they're not but rather a carrier of our books to the book chains. It works though, so eh *shrug*.

Uh, listen guys, the ninanina that wouldn't believe the overstreets would be in the comic shops on Wednesdays - wasn't me. Understand that I'd be the first one to admit when I'm wrong here but, ya see I have this clone, and he........ blush.gifgrin.gif

No, really...

Understand that I'd be the first one to admit when I'm wrong here but, ya see I have this clone, and he........

There there! It is OK! We ALL knew something like that was going on!

psst - Hey! Hammer...we got a live one here. Just guide him out the back door - try not to make a scene, ok!