• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC really give priority by tiers? Doesn't look that way to me.
2 2

235 posts in this topic

I sent my NM98 under the Modern tier for 2 reasons...

- I suck at grading and didn't know what grade it might get. (It came back 9.6)

- When figuring out the FMV, I NEVER use graded values. (As far as I know, CGC has never said to use graded values)

Economy tier books might play a role in the training of graders advancing past Modern, thus the longer wait times. I consider them to be the same entry tier, modern is just discounted so they can offer cost effective grading on newly released books. Economy really helps people who don't know the value of the golden/silver age books they might have just inherited or come across. Even if they get bumped up to a higher tier they may well have never been submitted in the first place if the submitters had been scared off by the higher costs of the faster tiers. Much nicer knowing those higher grading costs are justified than having to roll the dice, right?

diamond in the ruff.jpg

20 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I love the city. The people not so much. Big City, Small people. 
winters have gotten harder as I’ve gotten older. 

I have grown to hate NYC lol   I am not a fan of the dump trucks bouncing down the street, the homeless and the mentally ill who have seized control of the subway system and the noise and nonsense. 

Even things I have loved doing I have scaled back on in recent years with the pandemic making me vacate certain activities even more.  I am more than happy to watch the Yankees from my couch.  I don't need to travel to the Bronx during the summer.  Even something I normally like doing, which is going to the Mt Carmel Feast in Williamsburg is something I can live without.  My friends wanted me to go to this past weekend for the lift. 

I'm good. 

Also, the last time I went one of the guys on the giglio (da geal) with a microphone recognized me in the crowd and yelled out my name announcing I was there.  :facepalm:

I like to have some degree of anonymity when I go to things like this.   

44 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Also, the last time I went one of the guys on the giglio (da geal) with a microphone recognized me in the crowd and yelled out my name announcing I was there.  :facepalm:

You need to wear your mask at all times.

Now where's that dang pic you, lego head?

58 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You need to wear your mask at all times.

Now where's that dang pic you, lego head?

You know what was one of the best parts of that night?  Our host seemed genuinely pleased NOT to talk about comics and enjoyed sharing his experience seeing Zeppelin at the reunion charity gig at the o2 Arena back in 2007.  

20 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You know what was one of the best parts of that night?  Our host seemed genuinely pleased NOT to talk about comics and enjoyed sharing his experience seeing Zeppelin at the reunion charity gig at the o2 Arena back in 2007.  

Vinnie? Yeah, I tried to get tix to that concert. Fudge!!!

Some more proof that Economy isn't a "higher" tier, pulled from an ask CGC post today. Good bits in bold. Response from Jennifer:

"Thanks for your message. When you process a Walkthrough, Express, or Standard tier submission, you will notice that we request that you clearly write WK for the Walkthrough tier, EX for the Express tier, and ST for Standard tier on all sides of the outside of the shipping package. Packages are sorted at the warehouse level upon arrival and we try to give properly marked packages priority as Walkthroughs, Expresses, and Standards are more time sensitive than other tiers."

On 7/12/2021 at 5:16 PM, sfcityduck said:

Until a little while ago, the max value cap on Modern was $200, right?  Modern has always been the lowest tier and the prices reflect that.  While I understand your rationalization for CGC's slow grading, THEY have never taken that position, and I really don't think there's a reason to think that a 1975-1980 book is any more fragile than a 1970-1974 book.   If Modern began in the 1990s, after comics had generally all abandoned newsprint, you might have a point (if foil, holographs, textured covers, etc.,  don't cut against that point).  But, that's not how Modern is defined.

I'm also not convinced by this statement:  "more likely to have defects therefore more time consuming to grade."  Do you really think it is easier to tell a 9.4 from a 9.6 from a 9.8 than to tell a 3.0 from a 3.5 from a 4.0?  

Ummm.... YES absolutely, far easier to differentiate at the top end than the bottom end.

On 7/20/2021 at 4:23 PM, Fisionbomb said:

Some more proof that Economy isn't a "higher" tier, pulled from an ask CGC post today. Good bits in bold. Response from Jennifer:

"Thanks for your message. When you process a Walkthrough, Express, or Standard tier submission, you will notice that we request that you clearly write WK for the Walkthrough tier, EX for the Express tier, and ST for Standard tier on all sides of the outside of the shipping package. Packages are sorted at the warehouse level upon arrival and we try to give properly marked packages priority as Walkthroughs, Expresses, and Standards are more time sensitive than other tiers."

Thanks for the info.  I don't see that anywhere else on their site.  But here's the question:

If Standard is the more "time sensitive tier," is it right that Modern Fast Track with a value limit of $400 and a price of $37 (93 days) a faster service than Standard at value limit of $1,000 and a price of $75 (101 days)?

@sfcityduck Yes, according to the currently listed information on the fees/turnaround page you are right that Modern Fast Track with a value limit of $400 and a price of $37 (93 days) is a faster service than Standard at value limit of $1,000 and a price of $75 (101 days).

On 7/21/2021 at 10:25 AM, Fisionbomb said:

@sfcityduck Yes, according to the currently listed information on the fees/turnaround page you are right that Modern Fast Track with a value limit of $400 and a price of $37 (93 days) is a faster service than Standard at value limit of $1,000 and a price of $75 (101 days).

Begging the question: Should it be given the statements made by CGC about tier priority.  The reality appears at odds with the goal.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 7/21/2021 at 2:22 PM, sfcityduck said:

Begging the question: Should it be given the statements made by CGC about tier priority.  The reality appears at odds with the goal.

Yes. Fast Track is a way of getting people to pay extra for the same job, so they aren't going to mess with that and it's not directly related to the tiers.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:30 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yes. Fast Track is a way of getting people to pay extra for the same job, so they aren't going to mess with that and it's not directly related to the tiers.

It is directly related.  If I pay Fast Track, and the book gets bumped up to Standard because CGC thinks the value is higher than I do, then I pay more for slower service.  Do you really think that is the way it should be?  I don't.