• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Understanding grading

7 posts in this topic

Hi all I’m trying to understand grading. I looked at the different options. I have both comics and cards I’d like to have graded. What does the “max value” mean ? For example I have The walking dead #1 I’d like to get graded and cased (? Right Term? ) not sure what option I would choose. 

I'm no pro at this but I believe when you are asking about Max Value you are looking at the CGC Services & Fees listings

since TWD issue 1 is not pre 1975 you can eliminate the Economy tier 

Modern has a max value per item of $400

Standard has a max value per item of $1000

Express has a max value per item of $3000

this I believe is where you have to do some legwork and determine what you think the grade of your book might be and based on the current value of that book in such grade what tier it would best fit under

you can use the Hey Buddy Can You Spare A Grade section of the board to get some feedback as to what others might think your book would grade at (pictures will be key, front/back covers and interiors) 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

and from there you can use tools like ebay completed sales (amongst others) to see where your book may be valued if you are unsure 

you will also be asked for declared value when you actually get to filling out the submission form - this would again be what you value the book to be at for insurance purposes in case something were to happen to the book and a claim needed to be filed

ps. slabbed is the typical term used as opposed to cased :wink:

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

9 minutes ago, Buzz Cola said:

It's easy. If the Mail or CGC ruins your book, how much do you want to receive in compensation? That's your value.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/declared-value-policy/

is it though? .....  if I have a TWD issue #1 that I believe is a 3.0 am I really going to pay $75 to submit under the Standard tier which has a max value of $1000 per item instead of the Modern tier for $22 with a max value of $400?

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

7 minutes ago, Buzz Cola said:

How much is a TWD #1 in 3.0 worth to you? That determines the tier.

I may have a TWD #1 3.0 that I consider priceless because it was given to me by a loved one ..... that doesn't make a TWD #1 3.0 a priceless book for insurance purposes

I think you may need to review their policy as it isn't how much it is worth to you but what the overall market declares the worth to be 

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/declared-value-policy/

The declared value must represent the FMV of a genuine collectible of that same issue and variety in the same approximate condition.

Thanks everyone. lol yes, slabbed 🤦‍♂️. The value is what I was unsure of (whether I go off average value ie.  eBay etc. or what) and I was curious if I was way off say I estimated value at 400 and it was 2000 or something if That would change the grading or if it was strictly for insurance purposes.  I’m very new to this but have a few books and some cards I’d like to start making the move on. 

11 hours ago, StillOnly25Cents said:

I may have a TWD #1 3.0 that I consider priceless because it was given to me by a loved one ..... that doesn't make a TWD #1 3.0 a priceless book for insurance purposes

"Priceless" isn't a financial value, so...

9 hours ago, Wakymilo said:

Thanks everyone. lol yes, slabbed 🤦‍♂️. The value is what I was unsure of (whether I go off average value ie.  eBay etc. or what) and I was curious if I was way off say I estimated value at 400 and it was 2000 or something if That would change the grading or if it was strictly for insurance purposes.  I’m very new to this but have a few books and some cards I’d like to start making the move on. 

The grading is done independently.  Think of it as strictly insurance