• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures of Superman 500
4 4

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I been going through all my old comics from when I was a kid and was thinking about getting a couple graded. I noticed a line going down the spine about 3/8 from the edge. Can that be pressed out? I know there’re probably a million of these, but if it’s worth it I might get mine graded. 

68A77CFB-5C6B-4A37-85CC-ECD565877D56.jpeg

52DA831A-C04D-4882-B133-CFF6C52AC52F.jpeg

21 hours ago, Bigdavebooth said:

really 9.6? is that line all the way down the spine doesn't hurt it? And do you think if I had it pressed would it help to get a 9.8

That line is part of the manufacturing process and as long as it doesn't break colour I am certain pressing the book will not be required and likely won't do anything to improve your grade.

That vertical line is part of the binding, similar to a thermal binding…common with glued square-bound books.  That is where the spine ‘breaks’ while you read it so the spine itself doesn’t suffer from the stresses.  If the spine break doesn’t break the ink, it’s fine.  I read a few books like this back in the day, not knowing that to keep the spine pristine you have to handle it carefully.  When I sell raw books like this, I always try to annotate that because it can affect the grade if slabbed.

Pressing won’t do anything to that binding…may not even be necessary, IMO.  I actually don’t know how CGC grades these if the spine break ‘breaks’ color…would be interesting to see one.  9.2…maybe 9.4. 🤙

Edited by Galen130