• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thanks For Helping A Newbie
2 2

22 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2021 at 3:44 PM, JJRUPP said:

Hi Guys, Newbie here, I got my comic back and was disappointed by the grade. I'm original owner, never read the book and always had it B&B in smoke-free home. The longtime comic shop owner I took it to, looked over the book and said it was a very clean looking book. He said it would be at least 9.7-9.8 before he had it pressed. I paid him to submit it for me and this is the grade I got when it came back to his shop. He was just as confused as I was. Any ideas. Thank you for taking the time out. 

That's an instant red flag.

Aside from the fact that there is no such thing as a "9.7"... Unless he works for CGC, he cannot make guarantees like that. The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is visually negligible. Also, pressing is not some magical 'increase your book's condition' process. There are plenty of books that would not benefit one iota from pressing it.

On 7/20/2021 at 11:25 AM, grendelbo said:

I think often a 9.8 is one day just that and on another a 9.6.

exactly...mood is everything in life...just a basic fact my friends...we are human!!!!

No foul on a .2 difference to be honest. 

You roll the dice.  Sometimes you walk away with a win and sometimes you wind up with a tear on the cover of an AF15 after sitting on the toilet and posing with it as an internet joke. 

On 7/20/2021 at 12:24 PM, seanfingh said:

get a money back guarantee

I remember CAK used to do this, but I've never come across another seller/dealer who would do it.

First off the difference between 9.6 and 9.8 can be just a millimeter spine tick.
Second grading is a subjective profession as it is so a resubmit might be worth while, the graders might have been three coffees into the day for all we know.

Third and the best advise I have is learn to grade, I don't mean to sound harsh but you should always have your own idea on the grade of a book before you buy or send it for slabbing.
It's not a matter of not trusting the seller, but more of being an informed buyer. For the record I think the seller was spot on the book is 9.6-9.8 and I would go so far as to say it's a 9.8 and you should resubmit.   

On 7/20/2021 at 4:42 PM, Asmodean said:

First off the difference between 9.6 and 9.8 can be just a millimeter spine tick.
Second grading is a subjective profession as it is so a resubmit might be worth while, the graders might have been three coffees into the day for all we know.

Third and the best advise I have is learn to grade, I don't mean to sound harsh but you should always have your own idea on the grade of a book before you buy or send it for slabbing.
It's not a matter of not trusting the seller, but more of being an informed buyer. For the record I think the seller was spot on the book is 9.6-9.8 and I would go so far as to say it's a 9.8 and you should resubmit.   

Right on.