• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest OA in existence

154 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

This is one of the reasons why I will never be a "first appearance" collector. Those really early Raymon Flash strips are so primitive, they hold zero interest for me. Give me some of his stuff from just a year or two into the strip, well NOW your talking! Everyone should collect what they like and for any reason they like it, but for me, I am an ART FIRST collector (I think I'm a bit of snob in this regard, but at least I'm a friendly snob ;)). Most other considerations fall by the wayside, but YMMV.

I don’t think this is primitive at all. 64E55AC7-B238-4FB2-BF5B-CEDB307C9B19.thumb.jpeg.f527d56d0af9155b8b43c7a705cea1ea.jpeg

On 7/15/2021 at 4:39 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I believe the Cover to Action 15 is the oldest piece of SUpes OA

True, but am I the only one who thinks the Supey 14 cover is better, and would sell for more than the Action 15 cover?

On 7/15/2021 at 10:45 PM, pemart1966 said:

There is/are pages from Batman 1 apparently...

This one exists - and I think it would easily bring more than the Marvel #1 page if head to head at auction.

I think the Bat 11 cover is the best GA Bat cover that we know is out there. But it might not bring as much as Killing Joke or one of the Dark Knights.

Batman 3.JPG

Edited by Crowzilla
add GA

11 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

This is one of the reasons why I will never be a "first appearance" collector. Those really early Raymon Flash strips are so primitive, they hold zero interest for me. Give me some of his stuff from just a year or two into the strip, well NOW your talking!

This.

For historical significance, the 1st strip is of course huge.

But for aesthetic quality, as Scott says, Alex Raymond didn't hit his artistic stride in the strip until about 2 years later, at which time he began producing what is among the finest comic strip art of all time. 

10 hours ago, batman_fan said:

This might come to some people as a shock but I would say there are some Charles Schulz’s Peanuts pieces that could make the list.

I would so love to own the 1950s Sunday that has Charlie Brown buying comic books.  The titles of some of the comics on the stand were hysterical.

3 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I would so love to own the 1950s Sunday that has Charlie Brown buying comic books.  The titles of some of the comics on the stand were hysterical.

That is one that comes to my mind as well.  

On 7/15/2021 at 5:20 PM, Bronty said:

I think Detective 28 and Action 15 for covers.

Metro own Tec 28 and Tec 30 covers iirc. A board member PM me photos when he went to their office a few years back.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 7/16/2021 at 3:23 PM, zhamlau said:

I actually showed him that. He said no it was pen and Ink cover art, I would know the difference (as he points to all the vintage covers on his wall from the 50s and 60s).

I actually have a theory on where it might be and hope to test it in near future.  

I know there is a fake Action 1 original artwork image floating around.