• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest OA in existence

154 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

For sure.   Feels like the top 20 spaces should be Kirby, but they have to exist first.

I think ... think ... think... at least a couple candidates exist, in the personal holdings of the Sinnott family. They have displayed copies at some shows; can't recall if it was the splash or cover of FF #51 I was told about, by a show organizer. That's the extent of my knowledge, but its enough to be fairly confident there's a couple gems.

3 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I think ... think ... think... at least a couple candidates exist, in the personal holdings of the Sinnott family. They have displayed copies at some shows; can't recall if it was the splash or cover of FF #51 I was told about, by a show organizer. That's the extent of my knowledge, but its enough to be fairly confident there's a couple gems.

There's kirby covers out there sure, but  Where's the AF 15, the FF1, Xmen 1, the avengers 1, etc etc etc etc.    Those are the ones that should hold those top spots that just don't seem to exist :/ 

The pieces you're referring to are cool but not the same league.

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

There's kirby covers out there sure, but  Where's the AF 15, the FF1, Xmen 1, the avengers 1, etc etc etc etc.    Those are the ones that should hold those top spots that just don't seem to exist :/ 

The pieces you're referring to are cool but not the same league.

Agreed, not the covers to top tier keys, but maybe a notch better than most of what is known. Not top weight class, but arguably a weight class up from most of what's known. 

Would love to know what the two Ditko Spiderman covers are :wishluck:

I thought the original artwork to Archie 1 existed.

I would think Silver Surfer 4 cover would fit the list

Batman 11 cover definitely goes on the list

Detective 69 (I thought I saw this one exists)

How relevant are HOS or WSF29 or Windsor McCay today? You would literally have to start from scratch when describing those items to anyone under the age of 40.

Movies have made comic book IPs more globally popular and relevant than they have ever been, but I'm not joking when I say you have to explain exactly who Frank Frazetta was to most people these days.

The Ditko covers that have come up for sale so that unwashed people like me know about them are #11, 28 and 30.  The first two are especially cool but they aren't going on a top 20 list.

The Sinnott family has some FF 51 interiors, but not the splash - that's in a private collection. Joe also held onto the FF 95 interior splash with the Thing holding up the building. 5 stars, but not a top 20 piece.

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Probably slightly controversial, but I would probably put the cover to Silver Surfer 4 in the mix. And I think the cover to 4 trumps the cover to SS 1, but fair minded people might disagree.

Agree. I was going to list that one as well. And I think you’ve seen it? 

So, the ASM 11 is a really great cover.... but would it be a top 10 Ditko cover if they were all out there?

It gets tricky when we are stuck comparing items we are left with vs. items that might exist.

The Hulk 181 for example, I think would make the list regardless. Checks all the boxes: It's famous, it's important, it's cool to look at....  

4 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Agree. I was going to list that one as well. And I think you’ve seen it? 

It has made an appearance (with its owner) at at least one convention out on the west coast... 

What about the first ever Flash Gordon strip art by Alex Raymond? It’s not the most valuable (it sold at auction for just under $500k last year, which seems cheap!).  But in terms of importance to the Comics genre, particularly sci fi, and superheroes, it’s gotta be in the holy grail category. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/first-ever-flash-gordon-comic-strip-sells-almost-a-million-dollars-1287751/

24 minutes ago, Peter G said:

The mass public would not recognize it which is an important element for iconography.

Disagree.

Hulk 181 has been on t-shirts and included in poster packs etc. at Target and other places over the years. It's been the packaging artwork on action figures.... There have been reprints of it for Free Comic Book day.... It is as recognizable as comic books can get these days.

Edited by J.Sid
include issue referenced

8 minutes ago, MAR1979 said:

Lost in a California wildfire that claimed Len Win's home back in 2009 along with complete 181 interiors

I don't think that's true.   There was a fire, and the interior pages were impacted by smoke damage (since restored I think the rumor was) but I recall discussion that the cover made it out alive.

14 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Today would be millions. As it turned out the GS X-Men 1 cover was not in his home, perhaps it was pre-lim or not published. The published OA was already owned by Eurotrip co-writer Mandel at that point; https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=536337

If this topic is not limited to OA confirmed to actually exist then you might as well just state Action #1 and Detective #27 and and close it down :)  I don't think much else would top those 2 in final Auction Hammer price.

Edited by MAR1979

14 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

again, the interiors did get some damage.  but my understanding is they were restored.

And GSX1 cover is on CAF.

You'll notice that her statement doesn't specifically address the H181 cover.   "Story" is ambiguous at the very least but I think she's referring to the interiors, not the cover.

5 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Does "Greatest" mean "most impressive" or "most valuable"?  A number of posters seem to be veering immediately to the value...

I was leaning towards impressive.  AF 15 for obvious reasons.  Any interior art from the first Marvel comic (yet a Namor and the only piece known to exist  is so very cool) and the earliest Superman cover is why those are my top 3.  Lots of cool silver age stuff out there from what I know