• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you suffer from performance anxiety?

25 posts in this topic

I certainly do. I assigned a few books to MCS's Prime auction this week and expected I'd clear at least $3,000 from them. 

I watched as they slowly rose, from $600 to 1200  to 2100 and then they flattened out.  As i'd committed to buying something with the proceeds from these books, I started to worry a little. I knew it was foolish and it would work out but I still got anxious. The biggest book in the sale had bogged down and it looked like I'd take a bath on it, but two bidders waited for the last minute to start bidding and it rose quite a bit in the last half hour and ended up surpassing my expectations.  With one book to go, I've blown past my $3,000 goal and all my anxiety was wasted. 

I knew it would be but after all these years, I can't help it.

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

I certainly do. I assigned a few books to MCS's Prime auction this week and expected I'd clear at least $3,000 from them. 

I watched as they slowly rose, from $600 to 1200  to 2100 and then they flattened out.  As i'd committed to buying something with the proceeds from these books, I started to worry a little. I knew it was foolish and it would work out but I still got anxious. The biggest book in the sale had bogged down and it looked like I'd take a bath on it, but two bidders waited for the last minute to start bidding and it rose quite a bit in the last half hour and ended up surpassing my expectations.  With one book to go, I've blown past my $3,000 goal and all my anxiety was wasted. 

I knew it would be but after all these years, I can't help it.

When you list, do you get regular email or other updates as bids come in?  Or do you have to visit your account on the site to see the current bid level?

1 minute ago, MattTheDuck said:

When you list, do you get regular email or other updates as bids come in?  Or do you have to visit your account on the site to see the current bid level?

When I check into my account, it gives the total sales and bids. I don't believe they are set up to notify a seller after every bid.  It does notify me whenever I get an offer on a book so when I open it to respond to offers, I see how the auction is doing.

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I still can't believe how difficult those are to get

I just got one a couple hours ago at MSRP. My buddy in New York is a godsend who alerted me to GameStop getting bundles in stock.

The prices on eBay have been fluctuating from $700-800 recently. They're still gonna be hard to come by unless you can get lucky (like I did today).

If you're looking for one, I honestly wish you good luck. I hate the scalping going on.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I just got one a couple hours ago at MSRP. My buddy in New York is a godsend who alerted me to GameStop getting bundles in stock.

The prices on eBay have been fluctuating from $700-800 recently. They're still gonna be hard to come by unless you can get lucky (like I did today).

If you're looking for one, I honestly wish you good luck. I hate the scalping going on.

Thanks buddy.  I actually lucked out and got a preorder  the very first day so I've had one for a while.  I was trying to get one for a family member and it's been ridiculous. 

50 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
56 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Thanks buddy.  I actually lucked out and got a preorder  the very first day so I've had one for a while.  I was trying to get one for a family member and it's been ridiculous. 

I too was out for one for a family member, they got frustrated that I didn't find one lol and now the savings for one, is just about history ha

surely or eventually

one day soon :wishluck:

will be...... readily available :tink: 

18 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I too was out for one for a family member, they got frustrated that I didn't find one lol and now the savings for one, is just about history ha

surely or eventually

one day soon :wishluck:

will be...... readily available :tink: 

Yeah it's incredibly difficult...I don't think I've ever seen a ps5 in the store. 

I am going to send some to auction soon, not sure if it will be MCS or C-Link.  But I will be nervous as I watched someone send out a big book to C-Link and it did not do that well.

I don't have anxiety anymore because any book I grade are just for my memories and to keep. At 58 I have few books I wish to own...just some of my favorites. I have owned, held, and read all the good and classic books. The world is my library...I do love to discover my grades though for fun

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

The biggest book in the sale had bogged down and it looked like I'd take a bath on it, but two bidders waited for the last minute to start bidding and it rose quite a bit in the last half hour and ended up surpassing my expectations.  With one book to go, I've blown past my $3,000 goal and all my anxiety was wasted. 

I would like to apologize to you and other sellers for any anxiety I have caused. I almost always wait until the last (3) minute(s) to bid, just a habit from eBay I guess. Don't know if it actually helps, although I don't think I've won much of anything when I was going to be out of town for the end and bid early.

I'm the opposite. I set my max bid early and rarely go over it if i'm outbid. After each session, I add up the difference between what I won an item for, and my max bids and might use that money on a new bid or three.   I try not to get caught up in a bidding craze. 

21 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'm the opposite. I set my max bid early and rarely go over it if i'm outbid. After each session, I add up the difference between what I won an item for, and my max bids and might use that money on a new bid or three.   I try not to get caught up in a bidding craze. 

I think that's a great strategy. Most people don't have the willpower to stick with their max bid (I'm even guilty of it sometimes), but I always feel good about it when I do hold off. Use those funds for another book. 

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Once I bid, I walk away. If someone else is willing to pay more, they can have it.

7 hours ago, shadroch said:

Oh, while I do wait until the end, I almost always bid my max bid the one time and walk away. Well, not completely, I also do as you say and occasionally bump my max for later auctions if I got something for less before, looking to stay within my limit for the entire set of winnings. Like you, trying to avoid the bidding craze.

It does drive me crazy, though, the people who bid at the literal last second, but not their max bids. Can't tell you how many times I've bid on something at the 3 minute mark (most of the sites I bid on reset the clock to 3 minutes with a new bid within that time frame) and my high bid is 3 or 4 bid margins above my current "winning" bid, only to see it extended with one minimum bid increase at the last second after the other, until they finally get over my max. I guess maybe it could be more than one person bidding, but the regularity of it certainly makes it seem like it's the same guy.

Not as bad as the time on MCS back when they allowed dollars-and-cents bids and I accidentally didn't hit the "." in placing my bid...