• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LCS in Hawaii?
3 3

32 posts in this topic

Hello, I haven't been to a LCS in Hawaii (Oahu) for over 35 years.  I remember going to Strawberry Fields Forever and Aldemar (?) back in those days.  What's the LCS scene like these days? 

I will be returning for a couple of weeks later this month and will slowly start moving my collection of 30 short boxes and it'd be nice to know where I can go if I need anything.  

I went through most of my boxes remotely with the help of my folks but there are still 8 short boxes left to go through.  I know I have a run of CA, DD, G.I. Joe there and some Hulks in those boxes - it'll be exciting to see what I have as I don't remember after all these years.  Can't wait to go back!

39 minutes ago, podochigae said:

Hello, I haven't been to a LCS in Hawaii (Oahu) for over 35 years.  I remember going to Strawberry Fields Forever and Aldemar (?) back in those days.  What's the LCS scene like these days? 

I will be returning for a couple of weeks later this month and will slowly start moving my collection of 30 short boxes and it'd be nice to know where I can go if I need anything.  

I went through most of my boxes remotely with the help of my folks but there are still 8 short boxes left to go through.  I know I have a run of CA, DD, G.I. Joe there and some Hulks in those boxes - it'll be exciting to see what I have as I don't remember after all these years.  Can't wait to go back!

I know there is a great shop in Maui when I was there 5 years ago.   If you will visit that island

13 minutes ago, podochigae said:

Actually, I will be traveling there as well - whats the name of the place?

Let me look in my photos and figure it out.  The Owner was fantastic.  He told me this great story about how he sold his TMNT 1 1st print to fund the store.  Very nice guy.

19 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

It was called maui comic and collectables. Pm me if u end up going. 

https://m.yelp.com/biz/maui-comics-and-collectibles-wailuku

Thanks for the link, looks like a cool store from the pics and it got some excellent reviews as well.  One of the reviewers said it was the only comic shop on the island.  I will definitely check it out - I'll PM you.

2 minutes ago, podochigae said:

Thanks, I'll check them out.  

3 minutes ago, podochigae said:

Thanks for the link, looks like a cool store from the pics and it got some excellent reviews as well.  One of the reviewers said it was the only comic shop on the island.  I will definitely check it out - I'll PM you.

The owner also  recommended this restaurant to us  and it was excellent. Wonder if he still remembers... doubtful since it was 4 years ago.  Lol

http://www.tinroofmaui.com

I haven't been to Hawaii since 1988, but remember buying stuff from Jelly's and Froggies.  Each of those places is gone, but I read that one of the people from Jelly's opened a store in Honolulu called Idea's Music and Books and they carry comics.  I don't know how big the section is, but it might be worth a look if you are in the area.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:07 AM, kaculler said:

I haven't been to Hawaii since 1988, but remember buying stuff from Jelly's and Froggies.  Each of those places is gone, but I read that one of the people from Jelly's opened a store in Honolulu called Idea's Music and Books and they carry comics.  I don't know how big the section is, but it might be worth a look if you are in the area.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out, too

On 7/18/2021 at 6:07 PM, Wolverinex said:

The owner also  recommended this restaurant to us  and it was excellent. Wonder if he still remembers... doubtful since it was 4 years ago.  Lol

http://www.tinroofmaui.com

I cannot recommend this restaurant enough

OAHU

- Choice Comics (where the true collector goes for old, new, keys & other stuff like supplies) Pearl City

- Dragons Lair (for that new issues and what recently hit the market) Mililani

- Other Realms (mix of new & old, great selection of back issues) Honolulu 

- West Side Comics & Games (new issues and CCG, TCG, figures) Aiea

- ideas books & records shop (classic style store, like the original Jelly’s, in fact, the owner of Jelly’s created this store… love this place) Kaka’ako

- Bella’s Enterprise (new store in Pearl city, owner had a shop back in the day and reopened with a bunch of inventory) Pearl City

We had a legendary store here in Hawaii called Gecko Books, but sadly it closed down recently. That was the store of stores here in Hawaii along with Jelly’s.

Edited by Haupia

On 7/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, Haupia said:

OAHU

- Choice Comics (where the true collector goes for old, new, keys & other stuff like supplies)

- Other Realms (for that new issues and what recently hit the market)

- Dragons Lair (mix of new & old, great selection of back issues)

- West Side Comics & Games (new issues and CCG, TCG, figures)

- ideas books & records shop (classic style store, like the original Jelly’s … love this place)

- Bella’s Enterprise (new store in Pearl city, owner had a shop back in the day and reopened with a bunch of inventory)

The best overall comic store is Choice Comics, hands down. He has a nice mix of new comics, back issues, hot keys, CGC slabs and supplies. He has the best feel for the market and his prices are very fair. Also, this is the only store on Oahu that has any CGC comics; no one else sells graded comics. If you're into sportscards, he is in the same location as the best sportscard store in Hawaii. 

Other Realms is a good store, large back issue selection. They do have a wide selection of new comics and the store is pretty big. 

I would not recommend Dragon's Lair at all. They only have a new comics with TPBs. The back issues they have are a few long boxes of dollar junk, mostly 90s drek. Also, the owner is your typical arrogant opinionated comic store owner. Don't waste your time driving out here. 

Idea's only has back issues, no new comics. If you have time to spare, it's a good place to dig for gems. 

West Side mostly has new comics, limited back issue selection. They sell a lot of RPG game stuff. 

Bella's is very new, he only opened a few weeks ago. He carries new and back issues. 

I forgot about the closing of Gecko's. Yes, they closed in October and were probably the best store in Hawaii, not just Oahu. They had tons of new comics, back issues, figures, games, cards, just merch in general. They were in business for over 25 years and I used to spend many a day going there just to dig for back issues when I had a free afternoon. Still miss them to this day 

Edited by Lpgk