• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning: Math (and the CGC Census)

45 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
18 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

Doesn't a 4th degree polynomial have 4 solutions?  hm

After that, dont you pick the one closest that's not derivative?

In this case, using days, you pick the one that's possible. :grin:

20 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

May I make a suggestion? How about we compare the predicted amount with the actual number at the end of 2021? Then we can discuss the predictive ability.

We can go ahead and predict next week.  July 20, 2021 census should be about 6,396,611.

The formula will still be 99% accurate as long as the actual number comes in between 6,332,645 and 6,461,223.  I'll go out on a limb and say we'll be just fine. lol

3 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

The question is, was the polynomial generated years ago, or recently?

I generated it today.  It's just for fun, really.

I'm attempting to adapt Newtonian gravity for CGC (because the larger CGC grows, the more books it pulls toward itself, like gravity lol) and I needed a way to calculate a "mass" for CGC based on time.

What's funny is that gravity on earth is 9.8 m/s^2, and 9.8 is the most common CGC grade (which "attracts" the most attention). :grin:

Coincidence?  hm

(Yes, but don't let that stop us.) :download:

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

We can go ahead and predict next week.  July 20, 2021 census should be about 6,396,611.

The formula will still be 99% accurate as long as the actual number comes in between 6,332,645 and 6,461,223.  I'll go out on a limb and say we'll be just fine. lol

How many more books will be encapsulated per day next week?  811 books per day seemed impossible. There are some damaged books during the encapsulation.  QC may need to pay attention.

Based on what CGC customer service has been saying about their volume lately, I think the actual total number of slabs in 2025 is expected to be 78.9 squadrillion. 

Just now, JollyComics said:

How many more books will be encapsulated per day next week?  811 books per day seemed impossible. There are some damaged books during the encapsulation.  QC may need to pay attention.

It has been around 25,000 per week lately.

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I'm attempting to adapt Newtonian gravity for CGC (because the larger CGC grows, the more books it pulls toward itself, like gravity lol) and I needed a way to calculate a "mass" for CGC based on time.

What's funny is that gravity on earth is 9.8 m/s^2, and 9.8 is the most common CGC grade (which "attracts" the most attention). :grin:

Coincidence?  hm

The "distance" between CGC and a given comic book is the average grade.

http://www.slabdata.com/blog/2021/cgc-average-grades-more-than-meets-the-eye/

See where I'm going with this?  (I hope so, because I don't.) (:

10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Coincidence?  hm

I don't believe in coincidences. The 1975 film "Soylent Green" was set in 2022, the year I turn 66.  You'll understand my dilemma if you've seen the movie.  :preach:

Just now, Cliff R. said:
19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Coincidence?  hm

Expand  

I don't believe in coincidences. The 1975 film "Soylent Green" was set in 2022, the year I turn 66.  You'll understand my dilemma if you've seen the movie.  :preach:

I never needed to see the movie because Phil Hartman explained it very well.

The Deadly Doll's House of Horror Nonsense: But Is It Gluten-Free?

33 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

I always knew that film was about you. 

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

If the 20+ year formula holds up, the CGC Census will have these totals in the future:

cgctotalsprediction.png.401b7289c5793787228293aa6ec97554.png

The obvious problem is that the next 4 years would need to have the same number of graded comics as the prior 21 years combined.

Is CGC ready for that kind of growth?

Only if the crack, press and resubmit numbers stay as high as they've been . . . :bigsmile:

Does this account for each book being independently graded by at least 2 graders?

If not they may be slabbing 25,000 per week, but that would mean graders are actually grading 50,000 per week.

6 hours ago, HotKey said:

Does this account for each book being independently graded by at least 2 graders?

If not they may be slabbing 25,000 per week, but that would mean graders are actually grading 50,000 per week.

This uses the CGC Census.  Books aren't included on the census until they have been graded, slabbed, and returned to the submitter.  Each book only counts as 1.

15 hours ago, divad said:
20 hours ago, valiantman said:

If the 20+ year formula holds up, the CGC Census will have these totals in the future:

cgctotalsprediction.png.401b7289c5793787228293aa6ec97554.png

The obvious problem is that the next 4 years would need to have the same number of graded comics as the prior 21 years combined.

Is CGC ready for that kind of growth?

Expand  

Only if the crack, press and resubmit numbers stay as high as they've been . . . :bigsmile:

People could easily break the formula if they'd just return the old labels when they resubmit.  (: