• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressable defect?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Recently picked up this CGC 9.6 Venom 3 for a very good price. When I got it, this was the only defect I could find on the entire book. Was contemplating cracking it for sigs and a possible press……. but is this something a good press can rectify? The spine stress appears right below what I like to call a corner “scrunch”. What do you guys think? The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is a few hundred dollars for this book. Thanks! 

FF5D0F9A-08DF-4BC2-A4F2-D277A5CE86D2.jpeg

5DF6E164-978C-4E25-B8C0-1947D1378985.jpeg

Definitely a mixture of consistency with what was said so far. I would add that not seeing the rest of the book, in my personal experience I would be thinking 9.4-ish just based on that top left corner of the FC. 9.6 seems like a blessing so it is really based on a personal choice for you to spend the extra money and it stay the same or a notch lower - which seems highly probable based on what we see here.2c

My books definitely don't come back 9.6 if they have a corner like that! I would have expected a 9.4 here assuming there really is nothing else amiss. No amount of squishing this book will make it a 9.8, and cracking it out has much higher odds of dropping a grade than usual.

Remember 9.8 isn't perfect so one or two tiny flaw is allowable, So here's the question, is that the only flaw? If so I think it's 50/50 a press will bump the book up.

Because It's really depend on how much of flaw that color breaking cease is (again assuming no other flaws). Based on the photo, to me, it looks like a 1/16" crease, which in my book would automatically mean a 9.6. Now a press might diminish the crease a little, making it look like it's under 1/16" and it's possible an a good day the grader might judge it as an allowable flaw but it's just as likely they judge the flaw the same as before.