• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay - Auction vs BIN
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Well, I am going to try to ask my question answered in a different way, so as not to get another warning.

How do you deal with the risk/reward of selling books on Ebay via an auction? I have heard multiple times that starting auctions at $0.99 is the way to go. I did that a couple of times, and I had two lots of books that were both worth at least $20 sell for $0.99. After Ebay fees and shipping, I lost money, as you can imagine.

If you are trying to sell large lots of comics (50 - 100 books), what do you prefer, an auction or BIN? Why?

Thanks for your input.

All sellers aren't equal.  A seller with tons of feedback and lots of followers, lots of items for sale for combined shipping, and a long history of 99 cent auctions will do better than a seller who does not.  What's for sale also matters.  If you're listing high demand or high value items, starting at 99 cents, they won't be overlooked but if you're listing bulk lots or low demand items they may not get noticed.  

I'm not sure what you were selling  but you mention 2 lots worth $20.  Buyers factor in shipping costs so a lot with books valued at $20 with a shipping cost of $20 isn't gonna sell for much.  Look for local buyers through craigslist of garage sales

Edited by thehumantorch

15 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

All sellers aren't equal.  A seller with tons of feedback and lots of followers, lots of items for sale for combined shipping, and a long history of 99 cent auctions will do better than a seller who does not.  What's for sale also matters.  If you're listing high demand or high value items, starting at 99 cents, they won't be overlooked but if you're listing bulk lots or low demand items they may not get noticed.  

I'm not sure what you were selling  but you mention 2 lots worth $20.  Buyers factor in shipping costs so a lot with books valued at $20 with a shipping cost of $20 isn't gonna sell for much.  Look for local buyers through craigslist of garage sales

This. If it's a hot item I run it on auction and 99% of the time it ends within $10 of my bin price. If it's a lower demand item I do bin w/ offers. Given I sell cards, not comics but the process is the same. A popular player/Charizard etc won't get missed and does just as well on auction. Random rookies or cards that might be worth money, but there's a low chance of visibility I throw on bin and just sit on it.

I was actually watching your listings, before that thread, not knowing it was you, and planning on taking them home for a cheap price to be honest.   I think the way that you have them now is a better option. 

On 7/17/2021 at 12:52 PM, Math Teacher said:

Well, I am going to try to ask my question answered in a different way, so as not to get another warning.

How do you deal with the risk/reward of selling books on Ebay via an auction? I have heard multiple times that starting auctions at $0.99 is the way to go. I did that a couple of times, and I had two lots of books that were both worth at least $20 sell for $0.99. After Ebay fees and shipping, I lost money, as you can imagine.

If you are trying to sell large lots of comics (50 - 100 books), what do you prefer, an auction or BIN? Why?

Thanks for your input.

This is very well said. Unless you are a big-time seller on ebay, your bulk will not attract enough buyers during an auction. BIN is the best way to go to get the most value. Adjust price based on the views/watchers you're getting. 

BIN priced to sell. Always put it up lower than the lowest BIN, and just above the most recent auction prices with a best offer. Normally either sells full ask or get a best offer around the auction price which I accept. The only exception is if someone has a BIN way low, lower than the current going rate. In this case I’ll typically just hit the watch button on the lowball item and wait for it to sell before I list mine, and if it’s truly underpriced it typically sells right away so I don’t have to wait long, also if it sits forever then it tells me the market is shifting and I need to reconsider what I thought was the going rate. That said I don’t sell hundreds of listings, this would likely be tedious if I did and I’d just throw everything into auctions to save on time - but for me I’ll run like 10-15 listings at once so it’s not a big deal for me.