• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you had $5000 to invest in comics.........
1 1

Would you get  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Would you get

95 posts in this topic

Good example... although I think we saw/felt that happening over a few weeks there. I guess it depends on when/if you took action. I fared better than you I guess and did sell off nearly all the 9.6/9.8's that I had wanted to keep, but felt I had to release as it was becoming clear that almost every issue was going to be available another day for much less. I had more options I guess. I did hold onto my 9.8 158 though, even though I could have sold it for $1800 and probably can't now. Couldn't let go of that big boy... grin.gif

When I got that gut feeling about my mutual funds, my banker talked me out of switching too. She said - "all you are doing now is guaranteeing yourself a loss." Every time I think back about 2 years and what I wanted to do with that money and where it would be now, I get furious. I think trusting your own instincts is a good thing most of the time. If something looks too good to be true or just doesn't pass the smell test, follow your gut feeling!

When I got that gut feeling about my mutual funds, my banker talked me out of switching too.

All I know is that my parents are the perfect contrary indicator when it comes to investments. Whether it was precious metals and oil in 1980, Japanese stocks in 1989 ("The Japanese are taking over the world." - Gene's mom in 1989), real estate just before the 1990 recession (I guess they eventually did OK on that) or tech stocks just before the bubble burst ("You will never regret investing in tech stocks" - Gene's mom in 1999), they seem to have an uncanny knack of buying just before it hits the fan.

They haven't gotten bullish yet on comics, so you bulls out there might be safe for now. However, they are currently raging bulls on Southern California real estate prices...look for California to fall into the Pacific Ocean in the not-too-distant future. tongue.gif

Gene

That gives me an idea! aRE YOU SURE WE CAN'T INTEREST your folks in some pristine gem mint funny books? Someone should figure out how to market this stuff to all those who have lost in the stock market. Oh wait - I think JP already does that doesn't he?

That's one of the damn catch phrases my guy used too! "If you cash out now you take a guaranteed loss, if you hold you still have the same amount of stock when things turn around"... yeah, that worked out great... it went down much further! mad.gif All's I know is if I pulled out when my gut said too I would have saved thousands that I could have used to buy even more stock at these discount prices.. or more HG CGC books I believed in. What a genius... My wife recently cashed out and gave me the $ to put into comics... It won't be hard to beat the returns we enjoyed in the Stock Market...

mad.gif

>>So if you do take a loss on a 9.8 in a disastrous crash scenario you don't really have a buffer in that case - just some profit from other ventures that you used to buy the book to make it be less "new" money. A loss is a loss and a gain is a gain

And there's another thing to consider; that a far better use for the "profit" could likely be found that pouring it back into comics. That's personal taste of course, but I don't see where the profits are, except by leveraging more cash into even riskier CGC investments.

As you said, you got lucky and climbed the CGC tree from 9.2 to 9.8, profiting on the way. But now that you're at the top, don't ever look down. It's quite a drop.

But hey, you guys know all the trends, you know all the answers, and I guess I'll come back here in a few years and all you high-rollers will be billionaires based on your comic book investments.

I wish you luck.

>>With so many books trading hands through on-line transactions, the CGC market has become virtually a real-time, 24-hour marketplace. Price trends can turn on a dime and liquidity can evaporate just when you need it the most. Just something to consider.

That's an excellent point and I remember it happening with Daredevil 131. The night that I posted that lame-o "suck me" Bullseye movie pic, I remember the release of the trailer absolutely killed demand and you couldn't get anything for a high-grade issue.

People started seeing clip, realization hit that Bullseye wasn't anything like the comic book, and you could see potential buyers jumping ship in real-time. One minute it's the hottest comic and the next it's DOA.

You know Del, this freaky stuff is starting to scare me. grin.gif

They haven't gotten bullish yet on comics, so you bulls out there might be safe for now. However, they are currently raging bulls on Southern California real estate prices...look for California to fall into the Pacific Ocean in the not-too-distant future.

Slightly off topic but:

Your parents are no different than a lot of other investors. They only look to invest when they hear something is already "hot" which is always a mistake.

My cousin invested hundreds of thousands into socal real estate back around '99-00 before the dot com bubble really burst. Let me just say this..it's a horrendous time to start investing in california real estate. It's already high, so your parents would be buying high and selling low later when interest rates (and house prices) go down a bit. A lot of people are speculating right now so property is ultra-hot. Realtors (and people like my cousin) are having a ball with this and making a bundle but I really don't think it will last more than a year or two.

The market is already prohibitively expensive for most families and soon supply/demand will collide and adjust itself as more people start selling to make a profit.

That's a bit overstated too... I hardly think I have all the answers V, nor do I think I'm right all the time, I just have an opinion that I'll share if asked, or if it seems like a good time to offer it. I'm willing to explain my thinking whether its proven to be flawed or not, just so my views are understood and I can receive worthwhile feedback. If I hear a good counter argument it often influences my position... so I'm happy to hear it and learn from it (for the most part).

I think its fair to say that I also have clearly used the verbiage that indicates that I'm open to any possibility and have always tried to acknowledge when my opinions/predictions, etc. have been disproved or when a better theory/explantion is produced. You should recall the props you received from me on more than one occasion when you have hit the nail on the head. Even in that Hulk 180 thread I was already implementing your valuable "right on the money" input concerning other issues being more deserving of a "cameo upgrade"... it was a great point (and I said so). I was off in a new direction when things got personal. There's a perfect example of my having a strong opinion, hearing a great argument, recognizing it and incorporating it into a revised approach... and most importantly it brought another layer to my thinking on the matter that I did not have previously. That's what I like from our exchanges and why I can overlook some of the other aspects of it that I don't care for.

BTW... I may have to start that up again... the "cameo rating system" and other "first appearance" issues (besides 180) that are deserving of more recognition. I think we were onto something.

Anyway, I have listened carefully to you, Gene, James, Mike, Dan, Lee, and many others here whose opinions I respect and want to hear. I've learned many things I was previously oblivious to or had not considered... and have since accepted. I applied some of this knowledge to my activities and have improved my strategies and decision making I feel. That said, neither you, Gene, I or anyone has all the "correct answers". If we did, this would all be too simple. So, I think its better to maintain some degree of humility because if you don't, you lose credibility and miss out when good ideas are run passed you. I value your opinion and input more than you apparently realize. BUT, I think you could chose your words a little better in some cases and allow for the possibility that you are not right all the time as well... and that others make good points worthy of recognition too. That allows for a more open debate and better results in the quest for answers/truth, not to mention not antagonizing the other participant(s) and having the discussion sidetracked.

'nuff said... no hard one's here

>>That said, neither you, Gene, I or anyone has all the "correct answers". If we did, this would all be too simple.

You're right, and I can't prove that what I say will come to play, unless I suddenly build a time machine.

I will say this: I have accurately predicted the rise and fall of comics since the 70's, and it's really not too difficult. Just looks for areas that have seen extreme price inflation over a short period of time, don't follow the crowd, and if your grandma, your neighbors and your co-workers starts asking about investing in comics, get out fast.

And yes, some people I know, who wouldn't know a comic book from a coat hook, are asking me about "investing in comics". From that point on, I am being very careful what I buy, and just banking my cash and waiting for the pain that will surely come.

At that point greggy and the boys can crawl out into the sunlight and scarf up all the nice books for 10 cents on the CGC dollar. grin.gif

On 4/14/2003 at 10:46 PM, joe_collector said:

>>That said, neither you, Gene, I or anyone has all the "correct answers". If we did, this would all be too simple.

You're right, and I can't prove that what I say will come to play, unless I suddenly build a time machine.

I will say this: I have accurately predicted the rise and fall of comics since the 70's, and it's really not too difficult. Just looks for areas that have seen extreme price inflation over a short period of time, don't follow the crowd, and if your grandma, your neighbors and your co-workers starts asking about investing in comics, get out fast.

And yes, some people I know, who wouldn't know a comic book from a coat hook, are asking me about "investing in comics". From that point on, I am being very careful what I buy, and just banking my cash and waiting for the pain that will surely come.

At that point greggy and the boys can crawl out into the sunlight and scarf up all the nice books for 10 cents on the CGC dollar. grin.gif

I miss Vince