• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rapidly Rising Amazing Spider-Man Issues
2 2

61 posts in this topic

Like many of you, I've noticed the skyrocketing prices of some comics.  For Amazing Spider-Man, the original series, what issues really seem to be popping outside the usual suspects (I'm not including early keys below 100, 101, 121, 122, 129, 300)?

I've noted 135 (2nd Punisher), 194 (1st Black Cat), 238 (1st Hobgoblin), 252 (tied for first black costume), and 361 (1st Carnage) have all really jumped in NM or better condition.  I have really nice NM raw copies of all of these, and I'm thinking of getting them graded to see if I'm sitting on a gold mine of sorts.  When I did this the firs time, I had ASMs 121, 122, 129, 300 all come by 9.6 or higher.  Sold them too early, it appears!  doh!

Am I missing any key hot ASMs? 

Also, is there an easy way to use GPA to search for hot trends in titles like ASM?  I've had GPA forever, but I'm not sure how to do broader searches than actually going from title to tile, and checking eBay for trends.  I also have Comic Collector, but I haven't put it to good use yet...

Thank you.

V/R, Mike 

Sure... fuel the value of my own collection. 

ASM 149 1st Clone 

ASM 103 - Just a great cover that is usually in demand 

ASM 136 - 1st Harry Osborn as the Green Goblin

ASM 151 - Tough book to find in higher grade due to the black cover and with a centered cover.  Too many 9.6's and 9.8's are allowed the white stripe on the side.  Found a 9.4 I liked through Bob Storms. 

Kraven's Last Hunt

3 hours ago, mlovest said:

Like many of you, I've noticed the skyrocketing prices of some comics.  For Amazing Spider-Man, the original series, what issues really seem to be popping outside the usual suspects (I'm not including early keys below 100, 101, 121, 122, 129, 300)?

I've noted 135 (2nd Punisher), 194 (1st Black Cat), 238 (1st Hobgoblin), 252 (tied for first black costume), and 361 (1st Carnage) have all really jumped in NM or better condition.  I have really nice NM raw copies of all of these, and I'm thinking of getting them graded to see if I'm sitting on a gold mine of sorts.  When I did this the firs time, I had ASMs 121, 122, 129, 300 all come by 9.6 or higher.  Sold them too early, it appears!  doh!

Also, is there an easy way to use GPA to search for hot trends in titles like ASM?  I've had GPA forever, but I'm not sure how to do broader searches than actually going from title to tile, and checking eBay for trends.  I also have Comic Collector, but I haven't put it to good use yet...

Thank you.

V/R, Mike 

Amazing spiderman 700. Get the newsstand

5 hours ago, mlovest said:

Thank you.

V/R, Mike 

Yeah, you’re missing quite a few.  In addition to the ones already mentioned in response to your post, 14, 28, 31, 50, 100, 124, 365, Ann1

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yeah, you’re missing quite a few.  In addition to the ones already mentioned in response to your post, 14, 28, 31, 50, 100, 124, 365, Ann1

Note I am NOT including the early issues per my post.  They have been crazy!

V/R, Mike

Problem with ASM 258 is too many Venom/black costume first appearances.

ASM 252

SW 8

(Those other "tied" books.)

ASM 299

ASM 300

ASM 316 (1st full cover appearance)

Edited by grendelbo

ASM 239 may one day see stronger interest.

ASM 201 is still early Punisher and a classic cover.

ASM 265 will get hot again.

Early Black Cat may gain likes - 195, 204, 205, 226 & 227.

ASM 200 because of milestones.

9 hours ago, The lips said:

Maybe ASM 316, 1st Venom cover. 

I think this will be one of the first issues to show fast decline if/when this market crash/correction happens. 

"Cover" keys will be one of the firsts to drop pretty fast, imo.

The speculation re the ASM speculation (and other books like some Conans, Hulks, etc.)  is on my mind for sure.  I can't see how the market holds these prices so high.

How is an ASM 129 in 9.6 worth over $10K?  Really?  It was worth 10% of that a couple of years ago.  It's not like the quality of Punisher material is bringing in new fans.

ASM 300...there are so many high-grade copies, with many more ungraded out there sitting in boxes.  How can an ASM 300 in NM be worth substantially more than a 10 times more rare early ASM?  And yes, I know value is subjective and based upon demand, but the supply for these later comics is huge.  I'm sure there are some of you with many copies of these in NM.  Personally, I wish I hadn't sold off many key high-grade ASMs years ago, but I do think there will be a correction coming.  When, who knows.

Don't get me wrong, I love these ASM comics, but I don't see the prices holding.  I will keep buying selectively, hoping ot avoid prices for some books which are likely to drop, in my opinion.

On 7/18/2021 at 11:55 PM, justafan said:

However, chronologically, the first appearance of the costume is Marvel Super Heroes: Secret Wars #8 with cover (Pull) date of DEC 1984 having been made for sale in September 1984 whose events actually takes place prior to the events in ASM 252, PPSM 90 or MTU 141. 

Nope. There are symbiote stories that take place prior to MSHSW8. That's why continuity chronology doesn't matter.

Technically, this could be seen as the first Bronze age appearance of the alien symbiote that becomes Venom vs the modern fictional history of the entire symbiote race.

The black costume/symbiote is solidly Copper.

However, in truth, ASM #258 (released in August 1984) is the first appearance of the black costume revealed to be an alien symbiote after it is analyzed by Reed Richards.

Revelations are not first appearances.