• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT Sell or Hold 2, 3, and 4

24 posts in this topic

I have TMNT #2, #3, and #4 all first prints in great condition outside of the tan pages they’re known for. They aren’t graded, but never been read or handled. Been sitting in display case for last 10yrs and thinking it’s time to offload them. If it was you would you sell or hold or send them in for grading? I’m not a collector - just bought these because it was my favorite cartoon growing up. Any thoughts or insights welcome! Thanks much

Edited by Derickson007

If you don’t mind the current financial outlay, I’d get them graded either way.  

grading and shipping prices go up over time, AND in most cases the preservation in a slab is equal or better than whatever you’re doing on your home.  

On 7/19/2021 at 2:33 PM, revat said:

If you don’t mind the current financial outlay, I’d get them graded either way.  

grading and shipping prices go up over time, AND in most cases the preservation in a slab is equal or better than whatever you’re doing on your home.  

Was thinking this was the best option and kicking myself for missing the autograph session. Right now they’re in floating glass frames pressed between 2 pieces of glass. They’re hung on wall in my office so no sunlight fortunately (or unfortunately).

Also recommend getting them graded and pressed if needed. If time is not a concern and you can spare a couple of months, send them in to CGC. I just did the Eastman signing for my #2 and #3 and with pressing, big bump for #2 (8.5 to 9.4 due to big dent in back of book being taken out) and moderate bump for #3 (9.0 to 9.2). 

There may be for some compelling event like a new movie or TV series with TMNT that will cause value to increase even more but you should get more $$ with graded copies. 

On 7/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, rexinnih said:

Also recommend getting them graded and pressed if needed. If time is not a concern and you can spare a couple of months, send them in to CGC. I just did the Eastman signing for my #2 and #3 and with pressing, big bump for #2 (8.5 to 9.4 due to big dent in back of book being taken out) and moderate bump for #3 (9.0 to 9.2). 

There may be for some compelling event like a new movie or TV series with TMNT that will cause value to increase even more but you should get more $$ with graded copies. 

What do your pages look like? I’m just concerned as my page color stinks even though the rest of the book is pretty flawless. I can snap a few pics later.

I agree with the above advice of getting them slabbed. When you have them in hand you can decide what to do at that point. You'll get more money for the slab (and they may sell quicker), but if you don't sell them they will be protected for the future. 

On 7/19/2021 at 10:36 PM, Chief1332 said:

You must have read them at least once or twice.  If you are going to sell, clean & press, then grading is the way to get a solid and fair offer.  If you just want to keep them as is, nothing wrong with that either.

Nope! Only took them out of the bags and put into display frames. I wanted them for the cover art. I bought GI Joe, Thundercats, and Transformers 1st issue first press too. So it was like a little wall of comics.

On 7/20/2021 at 6:14 AM, Derickson007 said:

Nope! Only took them out of the bags and put into display frames. I wanted them for the cover art. I bought GI Joe, Thundercats, and Transformers 1st issue first press too. So it was like a little wall of comics.

So you don't even know if there are any defects in the books?  Pretty important to ensure they are fully intact.

On 7/20/2021 at 7:43 AM, Chief1332 said:

So you don't even know if there are any defects in the books?  Pretty important to ensure they are fully intact.

I’ve opened them enough to check the quality but haven’t read them - so no creases in spine or anything - I got them from a local comic book store, so I have a little faith in their representation as well.

On 7/19/2021 at 1:09 PM, Derickson007 said:

What do your pages look like? I’m just concerned as my page color stinks even though the rest of the book is pretty flawless. I can snap a few pics later.

I can only go by what CGC labeled the pages - #2 Off White to White Pages and #3 White Pages.

Clean press and slab , then hold them . I feel the first four oversized books are special . Maybe not all rare but special and unique at a time when comics were not that special and mass produced . These four turtles changed the game . I’m keeping mine and soon to add CGC 9.6 issue 1 third print to the group 

71301514-DA55-483D-95F0-253961D09FBB.jpeg

B0D32796-9889-4BAC-B56B-5F033DA8AA7F.png

EB3A094C-AB43-42EB-A519-52702C1BA8D1.png

027985A7-5472-4D34-B6C2-D1D7A840EC3F.png

Edited by Subby1938

On 7/20/2021 at 7:42 PM, Subby1938 said:

Clean press and slab , then hold them . I feel the first four oversized books are special . Maybe not all rare but special and unique at a time when comics were not that special and mass produced . These four turtles changed the game . I’m keeping mine and soon to add CGC 9.6 issue 1 third print to the group 

71301514-DA55-483D-95F0-253961D09FBB.jpeg

B0D32796-9889-4BAC-B56B-5F033DA8AA7F.png

EB3A094C-AB43-42EB-A519-52702C1BA8D1.png

027985A7-5472-4D34-B6C2-D1D7A840EC3F.png

I still need a #4&#1

nice #1000 post!!!!

the terminator t-1000 would be proud!

Screenshot_20210720-195024_Samsung Internet.jpg

calteasecal.gif