• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1

67 posts in this topic

after reading this thread, the conclusion I have come up with is that I wish I had bought a Batman #1 CGC 5.0 back in 2005. ugh! :(
i bought one for 25k that year

hmm ... looks like actionkid came out on top of this argument.

very interesting thread by the way.

kudos for bumping this. nice with a historical perspective these days since the hobby/ marketplace is changing so fast.

Where is action1kid nowadays anyways? Looks like it's been several years since he last posted here. ???

I believe the restored books would have done a bit better than what has actually taken place if CGC had been successful in implementing their all-blue uni-color label system with the 10-point formal restoration rating system that they had been planning to put in place at the time. hm

A travesty that it never materialized as it would have removed the unintended stigma that was immediately attached to restored books when CGC implemented the PLOD labels for the restored books. :tonofbricks:

peter is out of the comic game. I was fortunate enough to get to buy his bat 1, superman 1 and action 1. He's very active in the financial market discussions, but has left comics.

after reading this thread, the conclusion I have come up with is that I wish I had bought a Batman #1 CGC 5.0 back in 2005. ugh! :(
i bought one for 25k that year

(thumbs u

Wow was I ever wrong.... :tonofbricks::tonofbricks:

Yikes!

Well, I guess that answers my question.

With much fewer of the top keys hitting the auction block these days (or at least it seems that way to me), I'm surprised the time hasn't finally come for restored comics to close the gap. I could be in for a long wait, but unless you need the cash, it doesn't make sense to ever sell, purple or blue: they do a lot better than anything else I've invested in over the long term (sometimes I have good stock pick or something, but almost nothing is safe to hold long term: look at the up and down in bitcoin, gold, and of course stocks).

Yikes!

With much fewer of the top keys hitting the auction block these days (or at least it seems that way to me), I'm surprised the time hasn't finally come for restored comics to close the gap. I could be in for a long wait, but unless you need the cash, it doesn't make sense to ever sell, purple or blue: they do a lot better than anything else I've invested in over the long term (sometimes I have good stock pick or something, but almost nothing is safe to hold long term: look at the up and down in bitcoin, gold, and of course stocks).

Most GA keys (even restored) have still done well as investments. (The restored Bat 1 / Tec 27 mentioned in this thread both increased in value somewhere around 400% since this thread was started vs an 80%-90% return in the Dow/S&P so it's not like anyone who bought restored GA keys in '05 did badly..) But the unrestored Bat 1 increased probably 600% in the same time frame. I still own & buy restored books and still think they are a great way to buy books you can't otherwise afford, but of the two unrestored has done better as an investment and the gap between unrestored & restored seems to have widened further..

It made sense to me that eventually the gap would narrow but it does not appear to have played out that way so far.

Yikes!

Most GA keys (even restored) have still done well as investments. (The restored Bat 1 / Tec 27 mentioned in this thread both increased in value somewhere around 400% since this thread was started vs an 80%-90% return in the Dow/S&P so it's not like anyone who bought restored GA keys in '05 did badly..) But the unrestored Bat 1 increased probably 600% in the same time frame. I still own & buy restored books and still think they are a great way to buy books you can't otherwise afford, but of the two unrestored has done better as an investment and the gap between unrestored & restored seems to have widened further..

It made sense to me that eventually the gap would narrow but it does not appear to have played out that way so far.

I know believe the gap has to tighten. Unrestored major keys are soooo pricey now that their restored counterparts have to become a more financially viable option, thus increasing demand and likely pricing. But, who knows