• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 2nd Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 4 RESULTS! and GIF/Meme Afterparty
6 6

129 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2021 at 8:37 PM, grendelbo said:

Great selection this contest. 

And largely out of my hobby-focus. 

Later tonight I'm making notes. (And I have a notebook on grading with other resources.)

Rat chew on an otherwise great book - moderate: -2.0 deduction +/-.

As I said in the Round 4 post, I had that Romance around 7.5/8.0 absent the chews. How low could it go? Not to VG. It's not a VG copy. 4 grade drop seemed fair as did the FN range.

Fun + Education (x Refinement of skills) = This Contest.

I had it as otherwise 7.5 and figured CGC would not drop more than 3 full grade points if that.  Should have went with 2 full grade points.  

On 7/20/2021 at 10:40 PM, grendelbo said:

Ultimately I at least find myself funny.

If others agree then...1178714414_tenor(2).gif.6b35fd7e95d86e6d9a6445dd25bc5acc.gif

I do agree. I have the same thoughts.  I am only entertaining myself.  If others laugh... Bonus... 960885406_tenor-1(13).gif.5c969fef877f0913cc2ead1f79e8840e.gif

On 7/20/2021 at 11:37 PM, grendelbo said:

Great selection this contest. 

And largely out of my hobby-focus. 

Later tonight I'm making notes. (And I have a notebook on grading with other resources.)

Rat chew on an otherwise great book - moderate: -2.0 deduction +/-.

As I said in the Round 4 post, I had that Romance around 7.5/8.0 absent the chews. How low could it go? Not to VG. It's not a VG copy. 4 grade drop seemed fair as did the FN range.

Fun + Education (x Refinement of skills) = This Contest.

Thanks for all the kind words. 

I'm not sure you can quite put it into a formula like that though. The Romantic Hearts book is fairly unique (IMO) in being so well-preserved but with the chew, *and* having the chew itself be so discreet. Kind of funny but this might actually be the highest-graded book with a chew you'll ever see.

On 7/20/2021 at 11:42 PM, kav said:

I had it as otherwise 7.5 and figured CGC would not drop more than 3 full grade points if that.  Should have went with 2 full grade points.  

YOUCANGOWITHTHEGRADEPOINTSYOUWANT

On 7/20/2021 at 9:40 PM, shiverbones said:

I had no confidence in that though, thought it could be 4.0-6.5

On 7/20/2021 at 9:42 PM, kav said:

5.5 was "safe." I'm trying to get it right through my perspective, but I'm also playing a numbers game I guess. Being second after 3 rounds I figure I need points, no -1s, to place high. The actual grade could be as low as 4.5 and I'd still have 1 point. I knew with certainty the book wouldn't grade that low. FN range was right.

On 7/20/2021 at 11:57 PM, grendelbo said:

5.5 was "safe." I'm trying to get it right through my perspective, but I'm also playing a numbers game I guess. Being second after 3 rounds I figure I need points, no -1s, to place high. The actual grade could be as low as 4.5 and I'd still have 1 point. I knew with certainty the book wouldn't grade that low. FN range was right.

Yep! Makes sense. (To be fair to those who guessed higher or lower though, this being an interior defect that was described but not seen made this book particularly tough.)

On 7/20/2021 at 9:53 PM, Point Five said:

I'm not sure you can quite put it into a formula like that though. The Romantic Hearts book is fairly unique (IMO) in being so well-preserved but with the chew, *and* having the chew itself be so discreet. Kind of funny but this might actually be the highest-graded book with a chew you'll ever see.

Good insight. But it's a start since there's no secret formula or public guidelines from CGC. It all depends on how you view the severity and go from there. And presentability of the overall book is so significant.plastic.jpg.d66a4cb7321c2539364a363ef40cefac.jpg

And you're right. There's some frightening horrible books out there with rat chew.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:16 AM, grendelbo said:

Good insight. But it's a start since there's no secret formula or public guidelines from CGC. It all depends on how you view the severity and go from there. And presentability of the overall book is so significant.plastic.jpg.d66a4cb7321c2539364a363ef40cefac.jpg

And you're right. There's some frightening horrible books out there with rat chew.

A PGX 9.8! lol